IGNORED

Pushing back against the Pono critics

John Darko has also addressed the issue of Pono pushback. I find this the most lucid yet article on the subject as it keeps the importance/audibility of Pono/hi-rez files in perspective.

This is very reasonable. I've liked a few of the things Darko has written before, and this piece describe me well. The pragmatic audiophile. I want the best but am both pragmatic about my dollars and weary of snake oil or only marginal improvements.

No big deal for me. It is a big deal, however to have to buy a new piece of equipment, twice as expensive as the previous one, only to find out it can't play the higher resolution stuff like DXD and DSD...

Other than that, I agree in some cases storage can be an issue in the double-box configuration.

The Nano is shipped to be used in exactly this double-boxed configuration if needed, together with a rubber band to keep both phone and DAC together, as well as a pad to be put in between these to prevent scratching. As for the connection kit, it's just another cable, big deal...

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

This is very reasonable. I've liked a few of the things Darko has written before, and this piece describe me well.

I didn't like it when he had a DSD DAC but wouldn't even listen to DSD because supposedly there wasn't enough around. Looked like he didn't know Blue Coast or 2L.no.

Just went over there and it looks like he's only learning now that the time domain is important...

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

It isn't the hardware so much that bugs me. It is more the long wait and what I feel is a case of me buying into unjustified hype. Not so happy with the music choice either.

I personally think (stress that I there YMMV!) that my iPhone streaming redbook through JRemote from JRMC at home - over the internet - sounds better. And is a whole lot less trouble to deal with too. For one thing, it fits in my pocket and I don't get asked for a hunk of candy. For another, the artwork is better. And for yet another, the Pono is the darling of the hipster crowd in Austin and that just takes the cake!

Okay that last reason is just thrown in to be a humorous observation, but it is true. ;)

The hype around Pono jut did't prove true to me.

YMMv, TINAR, etc.

Paul

You think your iPhone sounds better? I find that very hard to believe.

I own a Pono (I was early and able to get one of the NY limited Edition models)

In my experience playing the same album from my IPhone and then the Pono through my Sennheiser HD650 there is no comparison.... But to each there own.

My iPod classic was forcibly extricated from my minivan last spring (along with my iPad mini). I never got around to replacing it before it was discontinued. Would this thing be too good as a car player? It is the only thing I (personally) can think to use it for.

The acid test will be when someone next breaks into your car. Will they take the Pono or leave it?

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.

The acid test will be when someone next breaks into your car. Will they take the Pono or leave it?

Depends on how hungry they are.

toblerone-milk-chocolate-100g__72349.1410665521.1280.1280.jpg

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

No big deal for me. It is a big deal, however to have to buy a new piece of equipment, twice as expensive as the previous one, only to find out it can't play the higher resolution stuff like DXD and DSD...

Yep, though I guess DSD is coming.

As for the connection kit, it's just another cable, big deal...

Actually it's a sizable plastic adapter, or set of them (older model shown here):

CCK.jpg

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Paul, what does "TINAR" mean?

This Is Not A Recommendation.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

This Is Not A Recommendation.

If SQ mattered to as many people around here as much as they claim... They would love the Pono player as a portable device. I haven't had one issue with putting it in my back pocket or jacket pocket once it's actually not bigger than the average guys wallet and as for the shape, it works great as as desktop player or in the car because it very easy to control... People hatin for the sake of hatin I think.

You think your iPhone sounds better? I find that very hard to believe.

I own a Pono (I was early and able to get one of the NY limited Edition models)

In my experience playing the same album from my IPhone and then the Pono through my Sennheiser HD650 there is no comparison.... But to each there own.

Nope- I know my iPhone sounds better, and that is just streaming Redbook. You think a Pono is better because it t costs a little less? :)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

If SQ mattered to as many people around here as much as they claim... They would love the Pono player as a portable device. I haven't had one issue with putting it in my back pocket or jacket pocket once it's actually not bigger than the average guys wallet and as for the shape, it works great as as desktop player or in the car because it very easy to control... People hatin for the sake of hatin I think.

Well, here is an absolutely clear reply to that - bull corn! :)

Robert A. Heinlein

This Is Not A Recomnendation

or

This Is Not A Review

Depending upon the context. In either case, it indicates only personal opinion. :)

Thanks, Paul. Actually Jud Who Doesn't Seem To Have A Day Job already answered upstream. :)

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Huh? No, because it sounds better. I was using Jremote with jriver with my iPhone too but then noticed that it can't do gapless playback, which is a no go for me for listening pleaseure, unless this has been fixed in the last year or so... I am a big Apple guy all my life (actually never really used or owned a PC) but I cannot say it sounds better than the Pono player, I would be lying to myself.

Nope- I know my iPhone sounds better, and that is just streaming Redbook. You think a Pono is better because it t costs a little less? :)
It is more the long wait and what I feel is a case of me buying into unjustified hype.

Good grief, Paul. You just described every Apple/Mac/iPhone hater's justification out there. The endless rumors, the unmet expectations of features, the black turtleneck and jeans storytelling, the irrational avoidance of new formats such as 1080i (Blu-ray is a bag of hurt...), etc. And the iPhone didn't even work with the first demonstration...it was just a BS demo that had a coin toss go Jobs way. If your stated standard is the what we should judge the product by, Pono comes up a distant second to the iPhone in terms of "long waits" and "unjustified hype." You should be singing the praises of Pono by comparison. Seriously...

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Huh? No, because it sounds better. I was using Jremote with jriver with my iPhone too but then noticed that it can't do gapless playback, which is a no go for me for listening pleaseure, unless this has been fixed in the last year or so... I am a big Apple guy all my life (actually never really used or owned a PC) but I cannot say it sounds better than the Pono player, I would be lying to myself.

That's really odd - I was just listening to _Abbey Road_ and it had no problem at all playing gapless. Might be file format differences, I tend to use AIFF more than anything else, and Flac the least.

Pono really does not sound better to me, not at all.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Good grief, Paul. You just described every Apple/Mac/iPhone hater's justification out there. The endless rumors, the unmet expectations of features, the black turtleneck and jeans storytelling, the irrational avoidance of new formats such as 1080i (Blu-ray is a bag of hurt...), etc. And the iPhone didn't even work with the first demonstration...it was just a BS demo that had a coin toss go Jobs way. If your stated standard is the what we should judge the product by, Pono comes up a distant second to the iPhone in terms of "long waits" and "unjustified hype." You should be singing the praises of Pono by comparison. Seriously...

Apple is a bit different in my estimation. First, the iPhone was the first hugely successful smartphone out there, even if you include the crackberry. Why? Second, every version of the iPhone does something better, looks better, and sells like wildfire. Why?

The majority of audiophile quality music players are on MacOS. Why?

It goes on and one like that. The answer to all the questions is because Apple does it a bit better, delivers more of what people want, and keeps doing so, year after year after year, despite the pundits incessant calls for doom. (grin)

It may be that I was just disappointed with the Pono after waiting for it so long, then having each expectation cut back just a little. Or it may be that I just prefer the device that I take pictures with, make calls on, take notes on, test software on, and oh yeah, listen to music on remotely and streamed to my Jeep's sound system to be a single device.

Pono is good in concept, but poor in execution to my way of thinking. iPhones are both good in concept and in execution. (shrug)

I'm not trying to pour salt on anyone's wounded expectations, but the title of the thread do seem a wee bit defensive to me. :)

Again, YMMV, IMNSHO, etc. etc. etc.

Yours,

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Bill, don't you owe Charlie royalties by this point? ;)

I think it sounds very good attached to my Unison Research S6. It does required a notch or two more volume than my Oppo but the SQ is really nice. It has nice bass extension, more than the Oppo and a nice sound stage but the highs don't seem to have quite the same amount of detail. Overall the music has a natural tone to it that very pleasing and I've heard that it may even perform better when used in balanced mode.

How does Pono sound in a home system? Is the DAC good enough to bypass those in home systems?