IGNORED

Decrapifier? Eq?

Let me explain by example:

I love Rihanna's voice. I love her raspiness, even some of the processed sound in the voice is gorgeous.

But the recordings possitively suck. They are super compressed, and I am convinced they add "sparkle" on top. Listening to them on an ipod with some reasonable but not great headphones is more fun than on my main system.

So is there a way to decrapify the sound so that I can listen in my main system?

Maybe a low pass?

How can one decompress the dynamic range?

Thx!

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Good luck! I have 2000+ hours trying to un-compress crappy cd's. The only way I have found is using a software compressor. I bring in the audio at -7dB. Then use threshold to makeup and output +3dB. I takes awile to get the hang of it but does work. My output is actually louder than the original and fuller bodied. My goal was to be able to listen to anything from 1960's to 2014 recordings with little interaction. I can now do this with just 1 knob on the compressor.

Good luck! I have 2000+ hours trying to un-compress crappy cd's. The only way I have found is using a software compressor. I bring in the audio at -7dB. Then use threshold to makeup and output +3dB. I takes awile to get the hang of it but does work. My output is actually louder than the original and fuller bodied. My goal was to be able to listen to anything from 1960's to 2014 recordings with little interaction. I can now do this with just 1 knob on the compressor.

What are you using to do this?

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

+3dB = distorsion. Hard one.

You'd better use a transient shaper (add weight to attacks) and maybe one exciter (add harmonics, useful mainly for treble).

A very good "all in one" solution is a plugin like iZotope Alloy 2 (which anyway has also a compressor/dynamic expander, but try to limit at, 1-2 dB max maybe...)

Roon / audio-linux / dual PC / I2s FGPA Dac / analog tube processor / analog tube crossover / active speakers / dual subs / absorption+massive diffusion / ugly cat in the room

I love Rihanna's voice.

I've never heard it called that before.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I've never heard it called that before.

lucille-is-judging-you-gif-arrested-development-21743891-500-2891.gif

system pics

I bet there are standard compression presets used in the industry and it should be possible to uncompress the dynamic range - maybe that's not necessarily great since I'm sure the mix is tuned to the compression - but nonetheless.

There's an AudioUnit on the mac to compress. I can't seem to be able to setup the curve to the opposite (i.e. expand the dynamic range). Isn't this exactly what tape Dolby does?

system pics

Use iZotope Rx delimiter to make room for the transients this will make it sound less compressed allow it to breathe a little more. But as you know once it's been compressed there is really nothing you can do only improve what's already there. My findings show you can improve it by 2-3 on the DR meter.

• 2 weeks later...

Listening to them on an ipod with some reasonable but not great headphones is more fun than on my main system.

So is there a way to decrapify the sound so that I can listen in my main system?

Yes..

Option A: By crappy speaker for main rig and leave recording as is :)

Option B: Use a software EQ of some type to provide salt and pepper to recording to match your taste

• 5 months later...