IGNORED

How to Apply Room Correction to an A/V Pre-Pro that does not have it?

I currently own a A/V processor with room correction built into it (Anthem A/V with ARC). I am considering an A/V processor as a possible replacement that does not have room correction capabilities (the Bryston SP3).

How can I apply Room Correction to A/V Pre-Pro that does not come with it?

If it can be done, can you suggest different ways of achieving this? Ideally, i would prefer a solution that once set-up, it is mostly transparent to the user.

Thanks!

I currently own a A/V processor with room correction built into it (Anthem A/V with ARC). I am considering an A/V processor as a possible replacement that does not have room correction capabilities (the Bryston SP3).

How can I apply Room Correction to A/V Pre-Pro that does not come with it?

If it can be done, can you suggest different ways of achieving this? Ideally, i would prefer a solution that once set-up, it is mostly transparent to the user.

Thanks!

What are your sources? You can insert a device, like the miniDSP nanoAVR between the HDMI source and the Anthem. Alternatively, you can install REQ programs on a file player. Or you can get a processor with REQ.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

What are your sources? You can insert a device, like the miniDSP nanoAVR between the HDMI source and the Anthem. Alternatively, you can install REQ programs on a file player. Or you can get a processor with REQ.

Thank you Kal!

My sources are:

Digital: Files stored in a NAS fed to the preamp with Logitech Transporter (although I am looking for a replacement to the Transporter that can do DSD files, maybe the Aries?)

CD/SACD Player: Oppo 105

Analog: Sony HAP-Z1ES, Turntable

I am a bit confused by your statement: the Anthem that I have (the D2) already has room correction so I presume that you meant inserting a device like the nanoAVR between the HDMI source and the Bryston, right?

By the way, I would like to be able to apply room correction to both my digital and analog sources.

Thank you Kal!

My sources are:

Digital: Files stored in a NAS fed to the preamp with Logitech Transporter (although I am looking for a replacement to the Transporter that can do DSD files, maybe the Aries?)

CD/SACD Player: Oppo 105

Analog: Sony HAP-Z1ES, Turntable

I am a bit confused by your statement: the Anthem that I have (the D2) already has room correction so I presume that you meant inserting a device like the nanoAVR between the HDMI source and the Bryston, right?

By the way, I would like to be able to apply room correction to both my digital and analog sources.

Yes, I meant the Bryston. You do not say how many channels you want to EQ. For stereo, there are many options. For multichannel, very few.

Kal Rubinson

I Have a 5.2 system and would like to be able to run EQ on all channels. Thanks!!!

Tough. The only real option at a reasonable cost are the miniDSP models but, if REQ is as important to you as it is for me, you probably will be better off getting it built into the processor. Inserting the miniDSP into the system is problematic with multiple sources.

Kal Rubinson

Tough. The only real option at a reasonable cost are the miniDSP models but, if REQ is as important to you as it is for me, you probably will be better off getting it built into the processor. Inserting the miniDSP into the system is problematic with multiple sources.

Thank you for responding Kal!

Yes, miniDSP is trying to satisfy all requirements of this kind... in addition to the nanoAVR DL with HDMI inputs and outputs and the all analog DDRC 88A they have presented a third unit at the CES 2015, the nanoAVR DLA HDMI in / analog out:

MiniDSP NanoAVR Processors with Dirac Live at CES 2015 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Ciao, Flavio

Warning: My posts may be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)

• 4 weeks later...

You can put a miniDSP DDRC-88A between the pre-pro and the power amp. This will apply multi-channel room correction to all input sources. It's also setup once and forget.

However you should know that unless you actually need a dedicated power amp for hundreds of watts per channel, pre-pros offering "higher quality" are nothing more than a gimmick. An integrated AVR like a Marantz SR7009 is cheaper and equivalent in every way and you will get multi-channel room correction built in for all audio sources (except 7.1 analog input, stereo analog input does work).

What do you feel you'll gain by buying a $10000 pre-pro over an AVR like a Marantz SR7009? You can even use it as a pre-pro by using the pre-outs and you get room correction built in.