IGNORED

Mac G5/Lynx AES16e Set-up

If the best sound possible out of a music server is one of the main reasons to choose a certain computer setup, why are most people on this forum not on similar machines used during the last Symposium demo? What am I missing?

What does the latest OS version matter unless it is not a dedicated music server? For recording songs for example, I have and will stay on XP Pro not Vista or 7.

Regarding the Lynx Aurora Firewire, I have been playing with it for a little while now and it is very good but clinical; more for a recording studio. The Lynx team is very responsive to questions and issues.

Regarding the Lynx AES/EBU cable, has anyone blind A/B-ed it with another cable, e.g. Sonore's? What is the difference?

Cheers

I understand the whole bits are bits argument. However, you are in the minority with the outcome of your tests and that is not to say I don't beleave you. I do. However, many clearly report that they like playback with one or more of the combinations you described. Members have reported tests on optical drives with some drives better than others. The symposium demonstrated that people liked the Amarra better than not having it along with reports from members with the software. My vp heard the Berkeley with a fantastic cd player and then the computer as source and he liked the computer as source. Many people have reported better sound with ss drives vs hd (I prefer the ss after a recent intall in my home). My local dealer has converted his main room to mostly promote computer audio as source. He has reported to me that he likes one playback software over another on a usb unit he sells. So since I beleave you all I can add is enjoy!

Tranz, If you like some more information or feedback I have on the aes upgreade cables just e-mail me via the website....

Regards

Jesus R

www.sonore.us

"If the best sound possible out of a music server is one of the main reasons to choose a certain computer setup, why are most people on this forum not on similar machines used during the last Symposium demo? What am I missing?"

Chris utilized several different computer systems at the Symposium.

There is no universally accepted computer system that bests all others, and there likely never will be, with the possible exception of cost no object. Computer audio playback systems necessarily require a holistic approach, so there is no one OS, or hardware, or even interface that is best in all cases.

[note: CD player manufacturers used to do the work for us, but now that we've separated the DAC out AND provided all manner of possible computers to 'source' the DAC, we're all becoming 'design engineers', despite the 'bits is bits' belief of some.]

Perhaps you are referring the setup Chris chose (amongst the possible choices) for the 'main' demonstrations. That particular computer setup (Mac Pros with Lynx AES cards, using Tiger and outdated Lynx drivers), as I understand it, would have been chosen to be the best source for the Pacific Microsonics Model Two DACs which were used. These DACs were made in limited quantites and have not been made for many years, so the computer setup which was used is hardly something the rest of us should rush out and buy irrespective of the DAC we use (or our budget).

While I doubt that Chris chose the Model Twos for this reason, I think it was a brilliant move to use an unavailable DAC so that people would focus on what (I believe was intended), i.e. the various aspects of computer audio technology that many had felt could not sound different (Amarra, SSDs, etc.), and not get caught up with the DAC that was used. The Model Two has impeccable reputation, many believe it to be the best ever.

hope this helps.

clay

PS, For another matter, the DAC which Barry Diament has posted as now being the best of them all - the Metric Halo ULN-8 - was only released a few weeks before Chris' symposium. FWIW, his previous favorite had been the Model Two. This is a Firewire DAC, and would likely benefit from a different computer source.

Thanks Clay. Good insight!

Still willing to pursue that PowerPC Lynx PCI Mac Magic. I am tired of my Mac Mini giving me digititus (if that is a word). If that combined with a Sonore cable still does not work, I will pull my hair out. Back to CDs - please no...

Tranz,

Keep us posted. I sure hope it was just your Mac mini causing digititus, and not all of them. I've got one on the way from China now to replace my 'headless' (nee, busted display) Macbook Pro.

For what it's worth, I think it's great that there are multiple Mac configurations that can sound wonderful - after all, we don't get a chance to 'tweak' as much as our PC brethren. :)

I do think that Mac audiophile configurations will get even more confusing in the next year, however, and I hope that Macs don't lose their appeal for that reason.

The reason for the projected confusion will be related to Snow Leopard and its eventual impact on audio software players. As SL can't be run on the Power PCs, soon we'll have more interesting discussions on a (likely) new & improved iTunes which may NOT sound as good on a PowerPC as on a SL capable machine. This, of course, could exacerbate (or further bifurcate) the 'tried-and-true' PCI-based Mac Pro/Tiger/Lynx/AES-EBU camp as compared to the 'brave new world' Firewire/Snow Leopard/iTunes/any-Mac-will-do camp, but I digress...

As I said above, more choices are good, so long as you're not a newcomer to computer audio trying to figure out where to get started.

clay

• 2 weeks later...

A little update on the Mac Mini... Using the optical out of the Mac Mini provides less digititus/fatigue in my current setup than using the firewire connection. However, the optical connection loses some clarity so is far from ideal. I found a secondhand early 2005 G5 (non-liquid cooled) and the Tiger OS installation disc, have the Lynx PCI box sitting on the table, ordered the Amarra, a custom AES cable, and am waiting for the generation 2 Intel X25M SSD to arrive. Can hardly wait.

Another tweak that I did this weekend with ridiculous results was bi-amping; tubes for the high/mid and solid state for the low-end. Bloody hell does that make a difference! Now just an active cross-over to fine tune the frequencies and gains and.....

What a hobby, and what a great website. :)

What is the best choice for a processor for a G5 using a Lynx? I have heard 2.0 Ghz, but a single proc. or are two proc.'s better?

Is there any benefit to using a higher clock speed proc.?

Thanks.

\"It would be a mistake to demonize any particular philosophy. To do so forces people into entrenched positions and encourages the adoption of unhelpful defensive reactions, thus missing the opportunity for constructive dialog\"[br] - Martin Colloms - stereophile.com

I want to say it depends on a couple of things. If your going to say rip and play at the same time then that would seem like a situation for dual cpu. If you have a memory player and your going to play music while it transfers the files again consider dual cpu. If your going to have a dedicated machine that only plays and no other activity and your machine is mostly cleared of input and output functions on the drive then either one. Also, consider the recent posts about firewire vs usb vs network vs e-sata where some can use more cpu. Just some things to consider and keep track of....

Regards

Jesus R

www.sonore.us

Thanks Jesus!

This will be a dedicated machine, used for playback and or ripping, but only one at a time.

I am planning on the Lynx card.

I would also like the machine to playback ripped DVD's.

Please advise.

\"It would be a mistake to demonize any particular philosophy. To do so forces people into entrenched positions and encourages the adoption of unhelpful defensive reactions, thus missing the opportunity for constructive dialog\"[br] - Martin Colloms - stereophile.com

Your welcome and anytime! Answer a couple of things first for me before we dive into dvd playback! Do you want all playback through the Lynx card or will you will use the hdmi for surround and the Lynx for sterio. PS you can do it both ways with some limitations, but both have +s and -s. What were you thinking. Also, mine had a bluray (not sure if it works on apple), because its cheap to add a bluray "ROM" at that point.

You might want to start a new post though.....hehehe

Let me know

Jesus R

www.sonore.us

I don't do surround, just stereo, so I would want the DVD playback to go through the Lynx card.

What are your suggestions?

okay just checking. It's actually pretty simple. It should output the two channels just like music playback assuming the Apple product your using has the dts and dolby codec. What I don't know is if you need to configure the Mac os and the playback software or just the Mac os. I use Cyberlink with a pc and you configure the os for the card and the playback software to 2 channel.

Hope this helps

Jesus R

www.sonore.us

Thanks to this website and all the helpful posts I am now enjoying the G5 PowerPC setup (Early 2005, aircooled, with 4GB and an Intel X25 G2 SSD, fresh Tiger OS 10.4.11 with tweaks).

It sounds better than the Mac Mini using Toslink! I am still waiting for the AES cable to connect to the Lynx AES16, and the Amarra software to further tweak the setup. It is not any noisier than the Mac Mini, and I now want to find out how to install silent fans to replace the stock G5 fans. Has anyone done this?

Most of the digititus/listening fatigue I had on the Mac Mini came from the firewire connection to the Aurora8. But even with just a toslink comparison between the G5 and Mac Mini, the G5 is better for the (my)ears.

Cheers.

My Older power G5 iMac died last month with electrical/heating problems...I agree....watch the reliablity and heating issues....

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus:

When you do not know something for certain, why would you accuse others of misinformation. You are not serving your fellow computer audiophiles that way.

Completely contrary to your attribution to Chris, he wrote that the Lynx card did not recognize the Snow Lepard and did not work. The Lynx people still do not have the drivers ready. Where did you get your completely false information?

Here is what I received on Monday, October 12 directly from Lynx sales people:

Erol,

I have been informed by our software engineer that the Show Leopard drivers and installer are complete. We just need to do some internal testing over the next week or so before releasing it.

Thanks,

Phil Moon

Lynx Studio Technology

190 McCormick Avenue

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Tel: 714-545-4700 ext 204

Fax: 714-545-4777

Sent: Saturday, October 10, 2009 5:26 PM

To: [email protected]

Subject: RE: Lynx sound card???

Hi:

Just following up. Does the AES16e PCI Express card have the drivers for Snow Leopard yet? Thanks.

Erol

Erol,

I have been informed by our software engineer that the Show Leopard drivers and installer are complete. We just need to do some internal testing over the next week or so before releasing it.

Thanks,

Phil Moon

Lynx Studio Technology

190 McCormick Avenue

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Tel: 714-545-4700 ext 204

Fax: 714-545-4777

Sent: Saturday, October 10, 2009 5:26 PM

To: [email protected]

Subject: RE: Lynx sound card???

Hi:

Just following up. Does the AES16e PCI Express card have the drivers for Sno Leopard yet? Thanks.

Erol Caglarcan

Hi Tranz, any further research on silent fans for the G5?

I finished my VP's new machine a few days ago and insulated the entire case. Its cheap to do, but I didn't see that it made a big difference if any. The case I used has a large fan (I never use it!) and for kicks I turned it on. It sounds like a jet engine with or with out the case cover and insulation....hehehe. I prefer to find quieter fans or just use less of them.

You said, "Have not had the time to look further into quiet fans" They actually sell a resistor that goes inline with the power to the fan so you can keep your original fan this way.

Regards

Jesus R

www.sonore.us

Another thought I had would be to thermally tie the heat sinks to the case.

Since it is a large aluminum case, it seems if you could make use of it as a heat

sink, you could use less fan power.

BTW, for silent fans look on sites like endpcnoise.com or other silent PC sites.

You can get fans in the 20 db or less range.