IGNORED

Use Of Older Internal Drive On Mac Mini Or New Apple SuperDrive

I have a 2010 Mac Mini that I have used extensively for ripping since I got it. I have had no problems that I am aware of but thinking of how much it has been used I wondered if it might be better or be some benefit to using a new Apple SuperDrive that I purchased for my new MacBook. Any thoughts or opinions?

Thanks

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
I'd be surprised if it made any difference. I assume you use XLD for ripping ? If so you are getting or should get bit perfect rips so I wouldn't expect differences. Others may chime in on this one.

You are probably right. I just wondered if a couple of thousand rips might have worn it down and accuracy or something might not be optimal. However my rips with either XLD or occasionally now with dbPoweramp for MAC all seem fine. Really just a curiosity and wondering of anyone else's opinion and experience.

Frank Zappa

The internal optical drive in my wife's 2008 iMac failed recently and I was unable to fix it with a lens cleaner. Rather than pay the market value of the whole computer to get the drive replaced at an Apple store, I purchased a USB Superdrive. To cut a long story short, it transpires that the firmware on the Superdrives is configured to prevent them working with any Mac which has, or is capable of supporting an internal optical drive. Have a careful look at the box and I do mean careful - the Macs with which it is compatible are clearly listed in letters approximately one micron high

Ironically, quite a few non-Apple USB optical drives work with these Macs, but Apple in it's wisdom has chosen to make the only USB optical drive which it manufactures incompatible with many of it's own models.

Anyway, if you are using XLD, you can configure it to verify rips, so you would expect any errors introduced by your existing drive to be detected.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

If you google, it's possible to utilise the USB SuperDrive on any Mac. Just a command typed into a terminal window.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

If you google, it's possible to utilise the USB SuperDrive on any Mac. Just a command typed into a terminal window.

I went down that path Eloise. It is apparently possible to hack some system file to force the Superdrive to work (if you're game). I was unable to locate the specified file on my wife's Mac and concluded it may not be present on such an old model. At that point, I decided I had better things to do than spend hours trying to trick a device into working which Apple had deliberately crippled. I returned the Superdrive, purchased a Samsung blu ray drive for about the same price and problem solved, plus I got blu ray capability.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

I had an older driver that was giving me grief but I found that cleaning the lens with something like this fixed the problems:

Memorex 2028003 CD/DVD OptiDisc Lens Cleaner-08003-CA - Walmart.com

And I have one of those but haven't used it in a long time. I don't really have a problem but as I said was curious but I think I will pull it out and use it.

Frank Zappa
I went down that path Eloise. It is apparently possible to hack some system file to force the Superdrive to work (if you're game). I was unable to locate the specified file on my wife's Mac and concluded it may not be present on such an old model. At that point, I decided I had better things to do than spend hours trying to trick a device into working which Apple had deliberately crippled. I returned the Superdrive, purchased a Samsung blu ray drive for about the same price and problem solved, plus I got blu ray capability.

That's pretty interesting and pretty much ends the thought regarding that option if necessary. Thanks for the info.

Frank Zappa
And I have one of those but haven't used it in a long time. I don't really have a problem but as I said was curious but I think I will pull it out and use it.

I believe Apple advises against using such devices. If your drive is already not working, you have nothing to lose, but to quote the old cliché: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

- Einstein

I believe Apple advises against using such devices. If your drive is already not working, you have nothing to lose, but to quote the old cliche: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Well I'm learning a lot of unexpected stuff and in this case it "ain't broke" so I "ain't fixin' it".

Frank Zappa