IGNORED

Who's afraid of DBTs

As jud says, nobody doing DBTs on audio forums is doing science. They are very much mistaken (or just posing) if they are suggesting that it is science they are engaged in. So yes, I agree, & furthermore suggest to leave the tools of science to scientists

...?

You are never going to stop twisting this, are you?! :)

I want to ask you something different though. Many accuse me of some sort of DBT crusade though I just asked a fair question based on a fair quote and stated my opinions about tests and science in general. So, what exactly motivates your 'crusade'? Where exactly do you see that immense damage done by DBTs to justify so much bashing? Who lost what exactly because of DBTs?

Looks like a fair question to me, hope it's not gonna start another trithio bla flame. And whoever else wants to answer it, is highly welcome.

How do you use Foobar ABX with devices?

Headphone amplifiers, microphones which are much closer to each other than I find speakers to be, levels of distortion. Distortion being much more audible with test tones than music. Otherwise not too many things. This of course is limited by my using Foobar ABX. Some things I might compare aren't practical to do so without help from a few other people obviously.

Why I posted on this thread is exactly because you have a crusade :)

Guess you don't like the direction the thread has taken.

I want to ask you something different though. Many accuse me of some sort of DBT crusade though I just asked a fair question based on a fair quote and stated my opinions about tests and science in general. So, what exactly motivates your 'crusade'? Where exactly do you see that immense damage done by DBTs to justify so much bashing? Who lost what exactly because of DBTs?

Looks like a fair question to me, hope it's not gonna start another trithio bla flame. And whoever else wants to answer it, is highly welcome.

Uncounted hostile posts from people who either adore or can't stand DBTs of course. Mostly started with a desire to "reveal the truth" or some other nonsense.

Most people find listening to be as reliable as any other test, or all other tests put together. After all, what are they listening for? The sound they like of course!

So what drives you, or anyone else, to insist that folks are fools if they don't DBT tests to define their preferences? Do you need to do DBT tests to find out if you like onions or apples better? Could you even tell the difference in a true DBT between apples and onions? :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I think I did answer before - if so, apologies for the repetition.

I see no problem at all with folks wanting to do DBTs, which can obviously help avoid false positives associated with sighted testing.

There have been folks on the forum who've portrayed people who discuss sighted impressions as anti-science, which strikes me as odd. I just see it as folks enjoying themselves shooting the breeze. There have also been accusations that reporting sighted listening impressions exposes this forum and all audiophiles to embarrassment and ridicule, which I also think is a little extreme; I doubt non-audiophiles pay that much attention. And finally, there has been dismissal of the work of audio engineers and developers that hasn't been tested by DBTs, but "only" by hypothesis confirmed by measurement. I personally think these are some smart people, and am interested to see what may develop.

So those are the only places I'd see "damage:" where people in favor of DBTs attack or belittle those who don't see them as the ultimate criterion for what's worth discussing or investigating

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Why I posted on this thread is exactly because you have a crusade :)

Guess you don't like the direction the thread has taken.

Dont care about the direction, this thread answered my original questions long ago. But well done avoiding the last question. And by the way it was JGH's crusade apparently. The 'crusade' you see was just me trying to combat those unfounded 'DBTs are evil' posts. Never said they were the alpha, omega and the only. Just a tool that can be very useful. Said that many times actually. Here and elsewhere.

Actually none of you who answered did bother to answer my question. Thank you for the effort but there were no opinions, trolls, tritio or believers in my question. Is it so hard to separate a factual question from the one who asks? Or......?!

Anyway, I would like an answer to the question because I do want to know if there is anything I'm missing. So I'll state it again:

for anyone who does not like, does not believe or does not trust DBTs. Or just for anyone. Many are combating DBTs with a passion here. Why? Where do you think is the damage and danger of DBTs? Or maybe better in other words: what would be a sample of a good thing that was hapening in audio and was killed by DBTs?

Thanks in advance for any factual answer. About DBTs and not people. Especially not any people posting here.