IGNORED

Determining Offset Correction for Drive with no listing

tdimler

Hello,

I am trying to determine the offset correction value for a new Apple SuperDrive. It is an LG Electronics - DVDRW GX50N. I am ripping with XLD and it won't automatically detect it. There is no listing for this drive in the AccurateRip database. Any ideas on how I can determine the correct number to use?

Thanks,

Travis

Any ideas on how I can determine the correct number to use?

I do not use XLD (nor mac) but:

I think the AR report will suggest offset values...

XLD

[...]Then, the AR report will suggest offset values[...]

If so, re-rip an original CD (which retain the log: must be sure to get positive results in AR for that pressed) without applying read offset. If only suggests a value, that is their offset read; if there are more options, select the one that matches the values obtained in its "original" rip (which did in his old drive). The CRC must be identical for both units. If you re-rip, with this offset, the CD (or other) CRC values and AR report should match.

I remind you that I do not use Mac, so if the AR report does not suggest alternative values, must find another program. For example: Python Audio Tools (works on Linux, it should work without problems on Mac and, for this case, depends only on python and dev versions of libcdio and cdparanoia). In this case other alternative values offered in the AR report (when no match is due to the offset). So the steps to follow, mutatis mutandis, will be the same.

Sorry for my english

[...] "Do fathers always know more than sons?" and the father said, "yes". The next question was, "Daddy, who invented the steam engine?" and the father said, "James Watt." And then the son came back with "- but why didn't James Watt's father invent it?"

Gregory Bateson

Steps to an Ecology of Mind (...)

EAC does not run natively on unix-like systems, but work under Wine. You may wish to use some frontend for Wine (as Playonmac or Crossover)

Sorry for my english

[...] "Do fathers always know more than sons?" and the father said, "yes". The next question was, "Daddy, who invented the steam engine?" and the father said, "James Watt." And then the son came back with "- but why didn't James Watt's father invent it?"

Gregory Bateson

Steps to an Ecology of Mind (...)

• 4 months later...

The GX50N is now in the Accuraterip CD drive offset database, and its offset is 6.

I have a related question, though: I just got the same drive (the Apple USB Superdrive) because the internal drive in my 2009 iMac started to fail.

XLD rips fine with the new drive - but in its preferences it sticks with the offset for the old internal drive. I can't find any way to change it (including the little pop-up menu next to the "max tries" and "offset" blanks in the prefers - that shows only the model number of the old internal drive).

I've manually changed the offset to match the known offset value for the new drive. But does anyone know why XLD can work with the new drive 99%, but can't calculate an offset for it?

Got an answer to my question from XLD's developer (who is great and replies lightning fast!): The GX50N is in the database, but XLD doesn't query the database; it uses its own internal database, and that hasn't been updated yet.