IGNORED

Vintage Speakers

Two pair of large Advents. Pretty darn good sound - especially when stacked!

Pair of pioneer HPM-100's.

All re-capped. Quite enjoyable with some vintage receivers and integrateds.

Did you do anything with the Advents other than refoam them? I am kinda jonesing to refurbish mine, but not sure if I will ruin 'em or love 'em even more. :)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

My dad is still happily using vandersteen 4 ' s from the 80s (they may have been upgraded to 4a status.) They still sound great with an also older audio research D400mkii driving them. The sub woofer amp (they were made to be biamped) is newer as the old Eagle2 amp bit the dust. They only thing that has tempted him to upgrade was when he recently heard a set of Quattros.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

Yep. I would love to find a set of good old AR3's that are in good shape and not being priced into the stratosphere. I would snap them up in a flash.

Modern speakers, I really love Maggies, but just don't have the space for them to meet the minimum WAF. Except the MMGs in my play system upstairs in my office.

-Paul

I have a set of AR3A (improved) and they are the European Mdl. Still work fine. I bought them on 23 Aug 1975 in Mainz-Kastel, West Germany.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Dq10's with the DW1 subs and DQ-LP1 crossover. Just rebuilt everything including the speakers. The last speakers I'll ever purchase. Just really dig them with tubes and a SS amp feeding the subs. Although a high wattage SS sounds good too if you want to feed them some watts.

Dahlquist DQ-10 Speakers DQ-LP1 crossover 2 DW-1 Subs

Dynaco Mk III Mains - Rotel 991 Subs

Wyred W4S Pre Gustard X10 DAC

SOtM dx-USB-HD reclocked SOtMmBPS-d2s

Intel Thin-mini ITX

Did you do anything with the Advents other than refoam them? I am kinda jonesing to refurbish mine, but not sure if I will ruin 'em or love 'em even more. :)

Paul-

I bought them from a local guy I know who's really into vintage and restores old gear. He reformed and recapped them.

I usually pair them with an old Sansui AU-717 integrated. They are really fun to to listen to.

Rance

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have 2 sets of IMF's a pair of TLS 80's and a pair of TLS80 series II they are stacked driven by a McIntosh amp, I bought these in the 70's and love the sound although my daughter had a party and seems to have destroyed one of them 3 out of 4 speakers open circuit and the crossover board melted and burned in one of the TLS80's, just in the process of collecting parts to get it working again. I guess the McIntosh 2500 has a bit too much power for these as they are rated for 80 - 100 watts and this amp puts out 500 per side, I was always carefully about not over driving the speakers but when I wasn't home !!!

About five years ago I completely rebuilt my Dahlquist DQ-10 speakers, all new drivers, new crossover. Unlike Harpy I never got the Dahlquist sub when it was available. I did get a Yamaha sub but it only added excessive bass to the Dahlquist DQ-10 speakers.

I am blessed that my 35 year old Yamaha M2 power amp has held up and is a good match for the Dahlquist DQ-10 speakers.

I use a Oppo BDP-105D as my DAC and it pipes directly to the power amp doing duty as the Pre-amp as well.

As much as I like my Dahlquist speakers I see myself trying a set of Magnepan MG 1.7 this summer. The Yamaha amp will deliver 350wpc at 4 ohm and would be a good match if I live with less bass?

I'll argue that one can't easily have an audiophile listening room and a home theater in the same space. If one or the other has to compromise I take a very good two speaker system and my home theater will have to get by without a 11.1 speaker system.

I'm going to prognosticate here, the marketing guys will never sell a 13.1 system because 13 is unlucky. So the next generation will be 17.1?

Mr. Sdolezalek, how do you like your 20.1? From time to time I see them for sale on audiogon.

LS3/5a here, bought new when they came out ('75, I think). Still one of the best! Powered by my PrimaLuna amp, they're a great near field system for our apartment.

One of the best. Even today, when you pair them with a medium powered tube amp like you have, they can hold their own. They can sound COMPLETELY different depending on the amp you pair them with and with a good tube amp they still have one of the most spooky real midlands you'll hear. Try a medium powered vintage CJ or ARC on them and sit back and marvel.

David

I have 2 sets of IMF's a pair of TLS 80's and a pair of TLS80 series II they are stacked driven by a McIntosh amp, I bought these in the 70's and love the sound !!!

I owned these in the late 70's, for quite a few years, and was extremely happy with them. Wonderful speakers.

JC

Not exactly vinatge... but very early 90s and fully refurbished just a few months ago: my Apogee Duettas are as good as it gets (IMO)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17834[/ATTACH]

THAT is a blast from the past. Those have an intoxicatiing way about them, good for you to get them up and running and refurbished!

David

Hey Now,

I have been listening to a pair of KEF Reference 103.2s since 1983. Still in rotation. Whenever I get a set of speakers I invariably end up comparing them to the KEFs. Current vintage speakers - Polk SDA CRS+, DCM TimeFrame 500 & 600, Klipsch Heresy, Design Acoustic PS-10A, Advent OLA, EPI M180 and PSB Alpha Mite all hooked up and able to be played. Lately I have been enjoying and listening to some Omega Super 3Ss and 3Ts. Even though I like vintage speakers I need to unload some so I can try some KEF LS50s ?

--

Finest kind,

Chris

- -

Finest kind,

Chris

About five years ago I completely rebuilt my Dahlquist DQ-10 speakers, all new drivers, new crossover. Unlike Harpy I never got the Dahlquist sub when it was available. I did get a Yamaha sub but it only added excessive bass to the Dahlquist DQ-10 speakers.

Back in our college days, my brother and I owned a pair of DQ10s (which he still has) that we eventually had mirror imaged. We paired them with a Hartley 24" sub woofer in a custom cabinet the size of a refrigerator, weighing about 300lbs. and hooked up with the Dahlquist DQ-LP1 Active Crossover. A GAS Ampzilla drove the DQ-10s and a Dynaco 410, wired for mono, drove the Hartley.

As much as I like my Dahlquist speakers I see myself trying a set of Magnepan MG 1.7 this summer.

Well, a lot of time has passed since I had the Dahlquists and I have fond memories of those days but, time marches on. I now own the 1.7s and they're fantastic! I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Regards,

Odysseus

CAPS v3 Topanga / JRiver MC21 | iFi iUSB Power | Woo Audio WDS-1 DAC

Odyssey Khartago Extreme | Magnepan 1.7s

Dedicated 20A circuit; Hubbell HBL5362I Receptacles; Shunyata Venom Defender Power Conditioner; Shunyata Venom Power Cables; Belkin Gold USB Cable; Kimber Hero WBT Interconnects; Anti-Cable Speaker Cables

L1002169s.jpg

B&W Matrix Series III, 18yrs old,, I will say the addition of DSD has given new vocal chords to these old classics.. :)

1.AsusROG750SSD/JRiver22>LightHarmonics-LightspeedUSB> PSAudioDSD+Huron/AnalysisPlus PowerOval10+ AnalysisPlus Solo Crystal In's >PASS Labs HPA-1 headphone amp-AnalysisPlus UltimatePowerCord/BlackDragonV2-AudezeLCD-X

One of the best. Even today, when you pair them with a medium powered tube amp like you have, they can hold their own. They can sound COMPLETELY different depending on the amp you pair them with and with a good tube amp they still have one of the most spooky real midlands you'll hear. Try a medium powered vintage CJ or ARC on them and sit back and marvel.

My LS3/5as have been driven by well over a dozen amps since I got them 40 years ago. Their first marriage was a modded Dyna PAS3x / S70, but they mated like rabbits: Citation II, Marantz 8, Crown DC150 (!), Hafler 500 (!!), Yamaha B1, Mac 75s etc etc etc. The PrimaLuna's a great match for them, and the bass (or what bass there is...) is tighter than any I've had through them before. What joyful noises they've made!

• 5 months later...

Wel, I am of the LS3/5a chapel.

I bought my pair 35 years ago when I was a student, along with a Quad 303 and a Thorens TD160 turntable.

All three have been providing me with utter musical pleasure.

They are still with me today, running as happily as ever.

At this very moment, I am listening to Eva Cassidy and they all sound quite alive to me!

I have of course tweaked my system a bit since then, adding a passive preamp, a Ciúnas USB DAC and a Mac Mini/Audirvana+.

Frankly, what's to change about it?

A refurb of the amp, maybe?

Atma-sphere S30 comes to mind with that 15 ohm... :)

I bought my pair 35 years ago when I was a student, along with a Quad 303 and a Thorens TD160 turntable.

At this very moment, I am listening to Eva Cassidy and they all sound quite alive to me!

I have of course tweaked my system a bit since then, adding a passive preamp, a Ciúnas USB DAC and a Mac Mini/Audirvana+.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

I have Meadowlark Shearwater Hot Rods - estimated about 15 years old, bought used. Sound really good.

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5

What a perfect example of buying something great once and just listening to it!

The little LS3/5a is one of hifi's all time classics.

David