IGNORED

Vintage Speakers

Anyone still have vintage speakers in their system that they love?

I buy and sell a lot of used stuff including hi-fi stuff, and have heard some pretty phenominal gear. I recently acquired a pair of POLK SDA-2 speakers. They have a cable that runs between them, and I don't know much about the technology about these speakers but they sound amazing. Great sound stage and the price was cheap...I may have to keep these things.

Any vintage speakers you love out there?

I buy and sell a lot of used stuff including hi-fi stuff, and have heard some pretty phenominal gear. I recently acquired a pair of POLK SDA-2 speakers. They have a cable that runs between them, and I don't know much about the technology about these speakers but they sound amazing. Great sound stage and the price was cheap...I may have to keep these things.

I still have my pair of 1982 ADS L620's. They are a 10", 2-way acoustic suspension system. I think they sound great.

Right now, I'm using them primarily for cable TV/DVD audio along with an old Yamaha "Natural Sound" 200w integrated amp, but I would not want to give them up.

I have several pairs - some really old Genesis, but my all time favorites are the large Advents. I have three pair of those, and two pair of the original "Baby" advent 2 ways.

It's not that they don't have audio faults, because they do. But most of their faults are faults of omission, and honestly, it would be darn near impossible to get sound like this out of the ported woofing beasties most often sold today - at least in the under $5000 mark. :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I have and love vintage gear. The biggest problem with using them is that I always have to wonder if these pieces need a recap or other service. I never know if I'm hearing them anywhere near their best performance potential. Here's our current stock:

Receivers

Marantz 2330B (130wpc)

Kenwood KR-9600 (160wpc)

Luxman R-117 (160wpc) - current favorite

Denon DRA-1025R (125wpc) I bought this one new in the mid 1980's

Akai AA-1135 (35wpc)

Marantz MR235 (30wpc)

Amps

Pioneer SA-8800 Integrated (80wpc)

Yamaha C70 pre amp

Yamaha M70 power amp (200wpc)

AM/FM Tuner

Yamaha T70

Speakers

JBL L20T - I bought these new in the mid 1980's

Infinity RS-325

Canton CT-800

Canton Karat 920DC - I bought these new in the mid 1990's

Velodyne SF12BVX10 sub woofer (x2) I bought these new in the mid 1990's

Win10 Sweetwater recording studio PC running JRMC > Soundcraft Ui24r 24-track digital mixer > JBL LSR308 via Magomi Balanced XLR cable pair

I still have a pair of vintage 1984 Magnepan MGIIIa's that have been babied through 30 years, but got retired when I upgraded my system to the 20.1's -- probably sound as good as they ever have during their 30 year life.

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

I've got a pair of clunky old Bose 501 speakers. They were bought new circa about 1975 or so, along with a moderately good Luxman receiver that drives them quite well. However, they do sound better when I use the modern equipment which makes me think it is better gear. The 501's have a 10" driver and a pair of indirect radiating tweeters, they make wonderful mid-range sounds and have great imaging, but no bass. I also have a Luxman M-113 stereo amplifier that is deployed in my main music system. This amp is sweet and I feel it holds it's own against modern amps costing considerable money. It hails from about 1984 or so.

And I have a cool Sony transistor radio from about 1964, it's big and still works but is not audiophile anything.

I have several pairs - some really old Genesis, but my all time favorites are the large Advents. I have three pair of those, and two pair of the original "Baby" advent 2 ways.

It's not that they don't have audio faults, because they do. But most of their faults are faults of omission, and honestly, it would be darn near impossible to get sound like this out of the ported woofing beasties most often sold today - at least in the under $5000 mark. :)

-Paul

Double Advents. I had them a million years ago! :) They do miss some things but are much better than people would ever think. I have lots of vintage stuff. Tannoys, Jordans, Lowthers and a bunch of other stuff. I am currently listening to Yamaha NS1000 which have amazing midrange and tweeters, very low distortion and super revealing speakers. There are allot of great sounding modern speakers, but I do not see myself buying any current speakers in he near future. Although it might be fun to play with a pair of LS50s. :)

http://www.davidreaton.com/PDFs/Double_Advent_System.pdf

Double Advents. I had them a million years ago! :) They do miss some things but are much better than people would ever think. I have lots of vintage stuff. Tannoys, Jordans, Lowthers and a bunch of other stuff. I am currently listening to Yamaha NS1000 which have amazing midrange and tweeters, very low distortion and super revealing speakers. There are allot of great sounding modern speakers, but I do not see myself buying any current speakers in he near future. Although it might be fun to play with a pair of LS50s. :)

http://www.davidreaton.com/PDFs/Double_Advent_System.pdf

Yep. I would love to find a set of good old AR3's that are in good shape and not being priced into the stratosphere. I would snap them up in a flash.

Modern speakers, I really love Maggies, but just don't have the space for them to meet the minimum WAF. Except the MMGs in my play system upstairs in my office.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I have one of those beautiful marantz receivers from the 70's

http://stereonomono.blogspot.com/2012/05/marantz-2275.html

As someone already asked above I'll also be very curious to know what kind of sound benefits are expected from a complete refresh (change caps, resistors, recable, etc)

And if you are into vintage receivers ebay has a surprising amount of info on the subject http://www.ebay.com/gds/Top-10-Vintage-Receivers-/10000000177678351/g.html

I still have a pair of vintage-1960's University Classic Mark II's that are sitting (unconnected) in my listening room. They were part of my dad's system and I listened to them extensively when I was growing up. They're about the size of a "console TV" and still in good shape. I think they were pretty highly regarded in their day.

MacBook Pro 2020 16” (16MB RAM, macOS Big Sur) > Audirvana Plus  > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

Yep. I would love to find a set of good old AR3's that are in good shape and not being priced into the stratosphere. I would snap them up in a flash.

Modern speakers, I really love Maggies, but just don't have the space for them to meet the minimum WAF. Except the MMGs in my play system upstairs in my office.

-Paul

I had a pair of AR-2a's since 1961. They were my main speakers, paired with my H.H. Scott 299c (my avatar!) until I got the ADS 620's. The crossover in one of the AR's finally gave up the ghost just a few years ago. That amp needed a complete, costly rebuild so I parted ways with it, too.

I have one of those beautiful marantz receivers from the 70's

stereonomono: Marantz 2275

As someone already asked above I'll also be very curious to know what kind of sound benefits are expected from a complete refresh (change caps, resistors, recable, etc)

And if you are into vintage receivers ebay has a surprising amount of info on the subject Top 10 Vintage Receivers | eBay

Sorry, I've not yet sent any of mine in for a complete refresh, but will soon. The question is: send the Marantz or Luxman? Probably the Lux. Though it lacks the beauty of the Marantz, it's superior in every other way that counts.

Win10 Sweetwater recording studio PC running JRMC > Soundcraft Ui24r 24-track digital mixer > JBL LSR308 via Magomi Balanced XLR cable pair

Sorry, I've not yet sent any of mine in for a complete refresh, but will soon. The question is: send the Marantz or Luxman? Probably the Lux. Though it lacks the beauty of the Marantz, it's superior in every other way that counts.

Or you could send the marantz and then tell me all about it :)

Or you could send the marantz and then tell me all about it :)

Heh. Depends on the cost. I need to call Tom Ishimoto at Northridge Electronics Electronics for prices on each.

Heh. Depends on the cost. I need to call Tom Ishimoto at Northridge Electronics Electronics for prices on each.

I just spoke to Tom Ishimoto. Service would be anywhere from $65 for basic to $700-800 for a complete recap on the Luxman and $500 for the Marantz, but the Luxman would likely require less work because the original caps were superior. He said if both were completely overhauled, the Luxman would definitely be the better sounding unit. Lots of confidence in his voice on that point. I'll probably hand that to him first.

I just spoke to Tom Ishimoto. Service would be anywhere from $65 for basic to $700-800 for a complete recap on the Luxman and $500 for the Marantz, but the Luxman would likely require less work because the original caps were superior. He said if both were completely overhauled, the Luxman would definitely be the better sounding unit. Lots of confidence in his voice on that point. I'll probably hand that to him first.

Lucky you :)

What exactly was in that $65 package and what in the $500 one? And did he say something about the kind of sound improvements expected after? For $500 I would expect some guaranteed gains.

Great thread! Around a year ago I sold my Von Schweikert VR8's and miss them dearly. A while back I found an old pair of Acapella's that I have been re working and I'm just crazy over. For me, old speakers are like old cars. Maybe not as good as the new stuff but the pride of ownership is off the charts!

Great thread! Around a year ago I sold my Von Schweikert VR8's and miss them dearly. A while back I found an old pair of Acapella's that I have been re working and I'm just crazy over. For me, old speakers are like old cars. Maybe not as good as the new stuff but the pride of ownership is off the charts!

Not sure if I would call that 'pride' but there is a lot of good feeling involved. Although it sounds very good, I rarely use my vintage marantz. But just looking at it in the audiorack makes me feel good. A hard to pinpoint well being feeling. And totally worth the price even if I never turn it on again.

Lucky you :)

What exactly was in that $65 package and what in the $500 one? And did he say something about the kind of sound improvements expected after? For $500 I would expect some guaranteed gains.

Me too; and he said I can, and will surely hear them.

$65 = inspect & adjust

$500 = replace every capacitor with state-of-the-art caps, then inspect & adjust / expectation = long lasting & substantial sonic improvement

With many Vintage people, it's as much or more about the gear than the music. I suggest not going down this road unless it is a labor of love. "'Acceptance' in spite of flaws". If a perfect person existed; I'm not talking about perfect "for you" - I'm talking about a person with zero flaws, a fortune in the bank, believes YOU are perfect, would do anything for you, is always easy to be around, never argues with you, does all the work so that you don't have to - and does it all to perfection, etc etc etc; loving her/him would require no effort and therefore would be far less meaningful than loving a real-world person - like you or like me, for example.

Of course, audio systems are not people, and in the world of audiophilia, it's our love of "music" which fuels our drive for the most perfect audio system within our budget. I love both vintage gear and music, but it's music that wins out in the end every time. This is why I bought NEW speakers. Audiophiles should own at least one audio system where optimal sq is the only goal. I believe my Luxman R-117 would fit this bill after fully recapped, but not the Marantz 2330B. Ishimoto confirmed this. But it wasn't a Luxman I've wanted since I was a kid - it was a Marantz. THERE is my labor of love.

Not sure if I would call that 'pride' but there is a lot of good feeling involved. Although it sounds very good, I rarely use my vintage marantz. But just looking at it in the audiorack makes me feel good. A hard to pinpoint well being feeling. And totally worth the price even if I never turn it on again.

According to this definition, hifiveharry's use of the word was correctly applied:

pride

prīd/

noun

a feeling or deep pleasure or satisfaction derived from one's own achievements, the achievements of those with whom one is closely associated, or from qualities or possessions that are widely admired.

Well then, guess I am proud of my marantz by definition. Or as I said, I simply like looking at it :)

Hope it all goes super with your devices and very interested in your after-report. It will have to be some report so I'll consider doing same with my marantz. $500 is a lot more than I paid for the whole thing (lucky ebay strike). And I do not really use it, it's more like audio-decoration in my rack.

Klipsch kg4. Not perfect, but they don't require much from your amp and sound very good at moderate volumes. Fantastic with a 10-20 watt tube amp.

Vinyl is a hugely overpriced way to get flawed sound. Digital is an inexpensive way to get less flawed (though flawed nonetheless) sound.