IGNORED

HQ Player and JPlay Review on CA

Hifidelit

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16643[/ATTACH]

Bob,

If you've got something to say about Chris, at least have the balls to come out and say it. Your use of videos and images to insult him is both cowardly and rude.

KK

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

And the longer that stays out the more Groce is justified.

Oops, hope I'm not interfering anything.

Watch out Peter you too could become a hoax! :)

P.S. Enjoying testing XXHighend. The sound is excellent. :) I will have to eventually move it to a better system, (cleaner USB etc) to get the most out of it, but it is really very very good! :)

regards

Bob

I don't mean this as criticism, but I can hardly see why Chris would want to review JPlay. There is simply no benefit to be gained by him for unnecessarily antagonizing JRiver.

Even if Mr. Connaker could successfully write an objective review of JPlay (doubtful, given the history here), he would be shredded by a not-insignificant part of his readership no matter his conclusions. A near certain lose-lose scenario for him.

But it's not any big deal for each listener to decide for themselves rather than rely on a review. Unlike $$$ hardware, software can easily be demonstrated at home and for free!

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

But it's not any big deal for each listener to decide for themselves rather than rely on a review. Unlike $$$ hardware, software can easily be demonstrated at home and for free!

To review JPlay in Xtream mode (with the possible configuration I mentioned in the op) with servers like the Cortes and Pipeline requires a serious monetary investment.

I take your point and Alan's that he probably won't want to use the sponsored hardware to review JPlay for the reasons you have both outlined.

I did offer to supply hardware in the CAPS 4 thread to help with costs see posts 13, 14 and 15 here:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/computer-audiophile-pocket-server-v4-design-has-begun-earnest-21060/

It's a good thing if you try and get yourself a little set up so that you can make the comparisons yourself

Yes I've done that (I repeat - comparisons is not what this thread is about). I currently run a 2 server system with no router between the 2 - a direct fixed ip system with the audio PC in core ws2012r2 with the audiophile optimiser and JPlay Xtream and no monitor. The control server uses JPlay mini but also has JRiver and various others.

and then maybe share your findings in a thread. You'll get a lot of info like this from others.

I might do that but I don't think there will be that many people with 2 servers like the Cortes and Pipeline running in the configuration I mentioned in the op due to cost.

While many hardware and software listings on the CA C.A.S.H. list are out of date, I find the Music Playback & Management section to be particularly egregious in current state.

Two popular players (HQ Player and XXHighEnd) are not listed at all, and another (Audirvana) is still listed as "free" with a link to it's old shareware site. A lot of prices are wrong too.

I would think Chis would realize that new folks coming to the site are likely to head to the "recommended components" section to familiarize themselves with the basics of what it takes to assemble a CA system. I mean look at this:

iTunes $Free

Site (Listed 3/07/2010)

Amarra $49 - $695

Site (Listed 3/07/2010)

JRiver Media Center 14/15/16/17/18 $50 (Full), $25 (Upgrade)

Article (02/17/2012) | Site

Max $0

Site (Listed 3/07/2010)

dBpoweramp Reference R13+ $36

Article (10/29/2009) | Site

Fidelia Base / Fidelia Advanced $20 / $50

Site (Listed 04/16/2011)

Audirvana $Free

Site (Listed 04/16/2011)

Decibel $33

Site (Listed 04/16/2011)

Pure Music $129

Site (Listed 04/16/2011)

Bob,

If you've got something to say about Chris, at least have the balls to come out and say it. Your use of videos and images to insult him is both cowardly and rude.

KK

1+

to BobSherman: Having seen this some time in the past I swore never to use a quote again. I suggest you do the same wrto your lame videos.

"A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought. "

Dorothy L. Sayers

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16643[/ATTACH]

Bob, I don't know how you do it, but already yesterday I wanted to vent praise about how you always and ever come up with Youtubes and such, so appropriate. No way you should stop with this.

Btw, that's 5 cents back until today, right ?

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Two popular players (HQ Player and XXHighEnd) are not listed at all,

Well too bad. Ever back XXHighEnd sure was. But sh*t happens I guess.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

I would think Chis would realize that new folks coming to the site are likely to head to the "recommended components" section to familiarize themselves with the basics of what it takes to assemble a CA system. I mean look at this:

iTunes $Free

Site (Listed 3/07/2010)

Pure Music $129

Site (Listed 04/16/2011)

Needs an update for sure. You could add HQ Player, the new Audirvana, XXHighEnd, BugHead Emperor, CPlay and others.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Bob, I don't know how you do it, but already yesterday I wanted to vent praise about how you always and ever come up with Youtubes and such, so appropriate. No way you should stop with this.

Btw, that's 5 cents back until today, right ?

Thank you Peter, I really appreciate the kind words... Especially coming from you such a creative and talented person. There are allot of great people here, and this can be wonderful community.

I just try and ignore those who are negative. It is sad for them though, it is like they are living in the Computer Audiophile Gulag. They need to be happy and look at the brighter side of life! Maybe better music software might help! :)

article-1371768-0065F19800000258-922_634x459.jpg

regards

Bob

I haven't been on CA for years and years like some of the others here, so please pipe in and correct me if I am wrong, but I have noticed that CA (from a Chris and the team perspective) has matured. It seems like it used to be about squeezing the best out of a computer, including the player software, whereas now it's more about cool shinny objects.

It also appears that Chris may have painted himself into a corner by allowing one of the products he evaluates to become a sponsor. If he did a fair and objective test and found JRMC to be near the bottom of the list (not saying it is, just saying what if) then he would probably make an enemy out of Jim.

It's funny but when you are small and have nothing to lose you can afford to give the bullies, market leaders, charlatans, etc. the bird and offer your true objective opinion. But when your baby company grows, you quit your day job, and your new company becomes your primary source of income (btw - I have no idea if this is Chris' situation) you find yourself maturing and becoming more political and rather reserved with that middle finger.

Personally I hope Chris' absence has been due to his trying to cover CES.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

BugHead Emperor? That crazy thing with documentation only in Japanese? Even if I read Japanese, the learning curve for that is almost as steep as for XXHighEnd! ;) ;)

Yes, crazy thing and crazily good sound...

Try BugHead Green for a simpler experience. On Mac, I use WineBottler to bottle it up as a seemingly native Mac app, then launch WINE, ensure the Configuration->Audio makes sound to my DAC by pressing Test and then launch BugHead Green. I can only choose WASAPI and no ASIO, but the sound is flabbergasting.

Give it a try, as BH Green doesn't have gazillion parameters like Emperor, just pure, solid, awe-inspiring playback.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

MQN Player by sbgk and JPlay should perhaps also be mentioned. Haven't tried either yet, and not sure I am equipped for them either.

It also appears that Chris may have painted himself into a corner by allowing one of the products he evaluates to become a sponsor.

Personally I hope Chris' absence has been due to his trying to cover CES.

Since we freely share our differing experiences here, and some of us have certainly expressed preference of other players to JRMC, I don't think this is the case.

I believe Chris is just very busy with running the forum and everything that goes with it, like communication with vendors, product reviews, writing articles, taking great photos.

This certainly takes a lot of time.

It also appears that Chris may have painted himself into a corner by allowing one of the products he evaluates to become a sponsor.

Assuming you mean JRiver. . .

Chris wrote a very positive review of MC at least two years before we advertised on the site. For a while, we thought about advertising there, but didn't want people to think we were buying influence, as you seem to infer.

I don't think you know Chris well, or you would know that he just wouldn't do what you're implying.

Chris is a good guy. He has become a friend. We all like him here at JRiver.

And, for what it's worth, I'm proud to be a sponsor of ComputerAudiophile. It's a great resource.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

MQN Player by sbgk and JPlay should perhaps also be mentioned. Haven't tried either yet, and not sure I am equipped for them either.

I've already mentioned MQn and JPlay in the first post and JPlay is mentioned in the title of the thread so I'm not sure what you are referring to?

Chris wrote a very positive review of MC at least two years before we advertised on the site. For a while, we thought about advertising there, but didn't want people to think we were buying influence, as you seem to infer.

I don't think you know Chris well, or you would know that he just wouldn't do what you're implying.

And, for what it's worth, I'm proud to be a sponsor of ComputerAudiophile. It's a great resource.

My observations on this forum over the last five years confirm that Chris goes his own way. I know there have been several dealers/manufacturers who wanted to advertise here but were rebuffed for various reasons. Chris obviously has his standards and not all meet those standards.

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX

I was of course adding to the list of software which could be added on the 'official' CA list of software as mentioned by Superdad above and which is arguably in dire need of a fresh update.

See post #32.

I've already mentioned MQn and JPlay in the first post and JPlay is mentioned in the title of the thread so I'm not sure what you are referring to?

Hi Jim,

Yes Chris is a good guy.

Would you like him any less if he reviewed other software and found it better sounding and maybe liked it more than JRiver?

regards

Bob

Jom,

You are correct, I don't know Chris personally at all though I do respect him for establishing CA and his determination to provide useful information to the Computer Audiophile society. It does appear however that several new software players have entered the market since Chris has done those types of reviews. Frankly I am happy with JRMC and HQPlayer but part of the value of CA is learning about other options.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800