IGNORED

HQ Player and JPlay Review on CA

Hifidelit

The majority of the software in the computer audiophile suggested hardware c.a.s.h section is from 2011 or older. There have been some players that have sparked a fair bit of interest and discussion on ca since then and I would like to see a review on ca of these 2 in particular by Chris - JPlay (Xtream engine preferably using mini) using the Cortes and Pipeline servers and either server for reviewing HQ Player.

In terms of JPlay I would like to see the audio server have WS2012 and the AO also run in core mode with no monitor and no network apart from the connection between the servers (static ip addresses).

I think these reviews would be interesting for people thinking about building the CAPS designs (or similar).

I got the impression (maybe wrongly) from the CAPS V4 write ups that other software had been listened to:

Prior to contacting JRiver I had already decided what playback applications would be used for the CAPS v4 project. I also didn't let JRiver know this software decision, thus avoiding any semblance of impropriety.

I suppose I would like that clarified - how was it decided (via listening to other software?). If other software was listened to maybe it could be expanded into a review?

If other software wasn't listened to I think there would be interest in the 2 players I've mentioned being reviewed here on ca (possible others include MQn and xxHighEnd). So how about it Chris, you have the hardware, do you have any plans to?

The majority of the software in the computer audiophile suggested hardware c.a.s.h section is from 2011 or older. There have been some players that have sparked a fair bit of interest and discussion on ca since then and I would like to see a review on ca of these 2 in particular by Chris - JPlay (Xtream engine preferably using mini) using the Cortes and Pipeline servers and either server for reviewing HQ Player.

In terms of JPlay I would like to see the audio server have WS2012 and the AO also run in core mode with no monitor and no network apart from the connection between the servers (static ip addresses).

I think these reviews would be interesting for people thinking about building the CAPS designs (or similar).

I got the impression (maybe wrongly) from the CAPS V4 write ups that other software had been listened to:

I suppose I would like that clarified - how was it decided (via listening to other software?). If other software was listened to maybe it could be expanded into a review?

If other software wasn't listened to I think there would be interest in the 2 players I've mentioned being reviewed here on ca (possible others include MQn and xxHighEnd). So how about it Chris, you have the hardware, do you have any plans to?

Well this is a very lively thread.

The song says it all...

It would be nice to get an answer from Chris on this part:

Prior to contacting JRiver I had already decided what playback applications would be used for the CAPS v4 project.

It would be even nicer to get his subjective review of HQ Player and JPlay (and others). The c.a.s.h page is very out of date.

How do you come to that conclusion from my OP?

Forgive me if I've lumped you in with folks like BobSherman who seem to never miss a chance to beat up on JRiver.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Forgive me if I've lumped you in with folks like BobSherman who seem to never miss a chance to beat up on JRiver.

What in the world are you talking about. Please remove your head from the megaphone. Everyone clearly knows what goes on. It has become much too obvious and insults the intelligence of any thinking person. I just ignore it, but please dispense with the cluelessness. It was a very good question, and there was no answer...

Everyone clearly knows what goes on. It has become much too obvious and insults the intelligence of any thinking person. I just ignore it, but please dispense with the cluelessness. It was a very good question, and there was no answer...

The lack of a response from Chris is disappointing I think. It should be easy and not time consuming to answer how he reached the decision prior to contacting JRiver and depending on the answer whether reviews of other software will be appearing on the site, I can't be alone in wanting to read his subjective review of JPlay and other software which I presumed (wrongly - who knows without an answer?) he listened to when testing the CAPS designs.

Prior to contacting JRiver I had already decided what playback applications would be used for the CAPS v4 project.

It's the perfect opportunity to update the out of date c.a.s.h page as well (if the software makes it!).

I'd also like to see reviews of the JCAT and PPA cards (were they listened to?), if not I can supply them, as the SOtM card got included again in the CAPS.

It was a very good question, and there was no answer...

And the longer that stays out the more Groce is justified.

Oops, hope I'm not interfering anything.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

My English is known to be not that well, but now I think of it, putting Gross in there would have been more smart.

PS: LOL

XXHighEnd (developer)

I have no idea why the op made this suggestion, but Jplay and HQP are two completely different pieces of software. I would point out that Jplay is Windows only while HQP runs on multiple operating systems. The systems and features of the two are totally different. In my opinion a comparison between the two would be useless. There is no practical way to compare the two. I think it would be as strange as comparing an amplifier to a dac. Two different different components. I am not demeaning Jplay with these comments I have no opinion of Jplay. If you can show me how Jplay can take a Redbook source and play it back as DSD 256 through any DSD capable dac from Windows or a Mac I would consider it possible to make a comparison.

I have no idea why the op made this suggestion, but Jplay and HQP are two completely different pieces of software. I would point out that Jplay is Windows only while HQP runs on multiple operating systems. The systems and features of the two are totally different. In my opinion a comparison between the two would be useless. There is no practical way to compare the two. I think it would be as strange as comparing an amplifier to a dac. Two different different components. I am not demeaning Jplay with these comments I have no opinion of Jplay. If you can show me how Jplay can take a Redbook source and play it back as DSD 256 through any DSD capable dac from Windows or a Mac I would consider it possible to make a comparison.

If you read the OP properly I am not asking them to be compared against each other, I am asking them to be reviewed on CA and that the testing done for the CAPS V4 may be useful in completing that review (if other software was indeed listened to in the time that passed between CAPS version 3 and CAPS version 4).

If you can show me how Jplay can take a Redbook source and play it back as DSD 256 through any DSD capable dac from Windows or a Mac I would consider it possible to make a comparison.

Why ? because you personally prefer from PCM converted DSD ?

Just let it be PCM and perform the comparison on Windows.

But in the end I agree because both products *are* very different. HQPlayer will not be any comparison with JPlay and might you not get it (Hifidelit), HQPlayer should lose this little game. That is, when done as I propose. Now compare HQPlayer with Foobar and HQPlayer will win hands down. How come ? because suddenly we're comparing completely different things - namely filters. This, while JPlay is about, say, optimization - like XXHighEnd (which latter coincidentally is also about filters).

It is also a bit difficult for me to see the reason of why players as such must be compared. I mean, we can do that ourselves ? I don't trust Chris' ears anyway. haha. But I only trust my own.

Edit :

I am not asking them to be compared against each other

Sorry, I missed that at first.

XXHighEnd (developer)

Edit :

Sorry, I missed that at first.

I thought my OP was very clear, in the first and second paragraph I said the c.a.s.h section was out of date and that there had been interest in the 2 players I mentioned, I also included how the 2 CAPS machines could be used to review both pieces of software (a starting point at least), plus in the last paragraph I mentioned xxHighEnd and MQn as others to consider reviewing on his Windows-based CAPS builds.

The context was JRiver was selected for CAPS v4 and they also sponsored it but the key word from the quote I used was prior:

That suggests to me that other software was listened to but JRiver was chosen prior to sponsorship, I asked Chris to clarify that and if that wasn't the case then maybe reviews of other software would bring the c.as.h section up to date (if deemed worthy). It's part guess work because Chris hasn't responded to the quote (the prior to contacting JRiver quote).

I don't care whether you trust Chris's ears - it's irrelevant to me, I'm interested in him reviewing more player software on a site dedicated to computer audio and I'm sure I wouldn't be alone.

I thought my OP was very clear, in the first and second paragraph I said the c.a.s.h section was out of date and that there had been interest in the 2 players I mentioned, I also included how the 2 CAPS machines could be used to review both pieces of software (a starting point at least), plus in the last paragraph I mentioned xxHighEnd and MQn as others to consider reviewing on his Windows-based CAPS builds.

The context was JRiver was selected for CAPS v4 and they also sponsored it but the key word from the quote I used was prior: That suggests to me that other software was listened to but JRiver was chosen prior to sponsorship, I asked Chris to clarify that and if that wasn't the case then maybe reviews of other software would bring the c.as.h section up to date (if deemed worthy). It's part guess work because Chris hasn't responded to the quote (the prior to contacting JRiver quote).

I don't care whether you trust Chris's ears - it's irrelevant to me, I'm interested in him reviewing more player software on a site dedicated to computer audio and I'm sure I wouldn't be alone.

Why don't you write a review of Jplay? I'm sure there would be many folks interested in your findings. I generally don't care to read about "reviews" since they can't know what something sounds like to me in my system. But, if reviews are in important enough to you, nobody is stopping you from writing something up.

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX

I wasn't just asking for JPlay, I was asking for HQ Player as well and maybe others depending on what Chris did or didn't listen to when testing the CAPS v4 - there was a long gap between v3 and v4.

Reviews aren't important enough to me either really for the reason you stated but I would be interested in Chris's reviews to compare with my own experiences with various software players (JRiver is the one I have used the most and still use every day).

I'm not really interested in writing a review but it's nice to know someone may be interested (I don't know why you would think that) even if it's not you.

Nor yourself....who never misses an opportunity for a rebuttal. One is not any better than the other.

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

It's a good thing if you try and get yourself a little set up so that you can make the comparisons yourself, and then maybe share your findings in a thread. You'll get a lot of info like this from others.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I don't mean this as criticism, but I can hardly see why Chris would want to review JPlay. There is simply no benefit to be gained by him for unnecessarily antagonizing JRiver.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron