IGNORED

Auralic Vega Music Drop Outs. potential solutions needed?

Funny you should mention the Aries Mini r_w as that was where I was heading. Building a dedicated PC doesn't enthuse me because in the end I want to listen to music and not tweak a PC endlessly. If it does the job of accepting data from an external drive and feeding it to the Vega without any hassles with an iPad interface (DS Lightning) I'm sold. I'm not actually interested in the streaming capability just it's ability to act as a conduit for the data files. You are quite right that in the end going the another way will involve more expense and probably a lot more frustration.

My only hesitation is, how would I feel if I get the same problem with the Aries? I guess I'm waiting to see whether that combo works as perfectly as expected and I constantly look at this site for reviews and feedback on the product.

Do you have distance selling rules (like in the UK & EU) in Oz that allow return for full refund within 'x' no of days?

If so, you can't loose.

If not you could take your VEGA to an Aries dealer and verify before buying.

(ps: my Aries Mini works a treat with my NAS... flawless.)

;-)

Funny you should mention the Aries Mini r_w as that was where I was heading. Building a dedicated PC doesn't enthuse me because in the end I want to listen to music and not tweak a PC endlessly. If it does the job of accepting data from an external drive and feeding it to the Vega without any hassles with an iPad interface (DS Lightning) I'm sold. I'm not actually interested in the streaming capability just it's ability to act as a conduit for the data files. You are quite right that in the end going the another way will involve more expense and probably a lot more frustration.

My only hesitation is, how would I feel if I get the same problem with the Aries? I guess I'm waiting to see whether that combo works as perfectly as expected and I constantly look at this site for reviews and feedback on the product.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

MBP to Uptone to Vega. Once the Vega has been on for 20 minutes or so switching to Exact gives no drop-outs. Ever! Vega and Uptone (w/LPS) run on balanced power through a Shunyata V-ray.

Rega RP8 w/ Lyra Titan, MBP - A+2 - Auralic Vega - Halcro DM10 - 2 x MBL 9008A monos - B&W 800Di2. 4KVA BOT, Franke 1500 Power Bank + Shunyata V-Ray and Anaconda mains - Audience Au24 ic's.

Do you have distance selling rules (like in the UK & EU) in Oz that allow return for full refund within 'x' no of days?

If so, you can't loose.

If not you could take your VEGA to an Aries dealer and verify before buying.

(ps: my Aries Mini works a treat with my NAS... flawless.)

;-)

Unfortunately where I live in Australia (Brisbane) precludes having a listen or testing the combo as the dealer is in Sydney (500 miles away). We don't get access to a lot of high caliber gear in Aus and only some dealers offer a trial period even though that is available in other countries. Being a small market we don't get a very good deal on most equipment and so the cost is quite high.

About the only way available is to track down another owner and see if they will let you have a listen at their place. In the end I have to make purchase decisions based on reviews and feedback on sites like this and hope it will work out. Not very satisfactory but that's our lot in Brisbane. Sydney & Melbourne are much better served, lucky buggers! (Aussie slang).

The Aries is no# 1 on my list and something like the Sonore Orbiter (recommended on another thread) is no# 2. I look forward to reading more feedback on this site before I take the blind leap of faith on one or the other so please keep posting your opinions as they are very helpful.

In exact mode, my Vega dropouts out when playing the first track after a change in sampling resolution when the base clock frequency changes. For example, if I jump from a 44.1khz track to a 96khz track it will always be followed by two drop outs within the first minute of play. If I play a 44.1 khz track followed by a 88.2 khz track it doesn't dropout. Strangely at 192khz and above, or DSD64 or DSD128 this never happens.

Almost everything has been tried to change this behavior, LPSes, USB cables, REGENs, the Intona box, network isolation, Windows/AO/Jplay and Archlinux/MPD/DLNA. Most of these tweaks have raised SQ quality significantly, but the dropouts persist. My system uses low power CPUs J1900s, so that may be the issue. Since most of my library is 44.1khz, its not horrible, and I've become use to it.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

In exact mode, my Vega dropouts out when playing the first track after a change in sampling resolution when the base clock frequency changes. For example, if I jump from a 44.1khz track to a 96khz track it will always be followed by two drop outs within the first minute of play. If I play a 44.1 khz track followed by a 88.2 khz track it doesn't dropout. Strangely at 192khz and above, or DSD64 or DSD128 this never happens.

Almost everything has been tried to change this behavior, LPSes, USB cables, REGENs, the Intona box, network isolation, Windows/AO/Jplay and Archlinux/MPD/DLNA. Most of these tweaks have raised SQ quality significantly, but the dropouts persist. My system uses low power CPUs J1900s, so that may be the issue. Since most of my library is 44.1khz, its not horrible, and I've become use to it.

My situation is very similar to yours Imitche only 96kHz seems to be the worst. Whenever the sample rate changes to 96kHz I get 2 or 3 dropouts. It's not something I want to get used to!

Interesting, what kind of processors are you using to drive the Vega?

External 2TB HDD (with LPS) > Curious Cable > ASUS Laptop (JRiver v20 + Fidelizer + WASAPI) > Curious Cable > Regen on Teradak LPS > Curious Cable (Regen link) > Vega.

The weak link is probably the ASUS laptop which is why I'm researching alternatives such as the Aries or Sonore Sonic Orbiter SE. Not quite sure which way to jump given my emphasis is sound quality and not streaming.

When I first bought my Vega it had frequent dropouts when first starting a new track especially if the it was a different bit rate. As the unit broke in this seemed to lessen. After a couple hundred hours of music playing it seldom has these hiccoughs. BTW, I leave my DACs on 24/7. Even while it was doing it a lot I thought that the high setting was worth it as it sounded so much better.

I no longer have the Vega but thought it was the best Saber based DACs I had owned. I previously had a Twisted Pear Buffalo and a Wyred4Sound DAC2 DSDse. It did just about everything right without the Saber "better-than-reality" sound. Tonaly it is vert satisfying.

Give it some time...

PS. I do use an LPS, Regen Amber, and an AQJB on my USB chain.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

LOL, my Vega has been continuously plugged and running for two years. I've been really patient I think.

I bought mine second hand with 1500hrs on it so definitely burnt in. Since I've had it I've added another 200hrs running continuously.

I still suspect my laptop is at fault.

• 10 months later...
Clean AC. I had occasional dropouts with a Wyrd and a Furman PST8D filtered power strip. With just a cheap power strip it would be unusable. And I have pretty clean power here to begin with. I since put the Vega and Wyrd on a Yulong P18 power filter and now I only get dropouts when the Vega is cold. It seems the sleep mode is inadequate, but it only takes a few minutes for it to warm up so at least I don't have to wait for an hour to reenable the exact clock. To warm up I just turn it on and leave it sitting for 5-10 min.

I don't use any fancy USB cable, just a reasonably good looking one I think in fact came with the Vega. A Ghent Audio U01 USB cable (from a MacBook Pro r15 to the Wyrd).

And yeah, exact mode is where this thing really shines, so well worth the trouble to get working reliably.

Exactly this. Even in sleep mode...the Vega needs to warm up for 3-5 minutes before running exact. After that...zero drops.

McIntosh MC601s - C50 | Harbeth M40.3 XD | Holo May KTE  | SOtM sMS-200 Neo - sPS-500 | PS Audio P20 PowerPlant | SVS SB13-Ultra subs

Exactly this. Even in sleep mode...the Vega needs to warm up for 3-5 minutes before running exact. After that...zero drops.

Not true, it varies from Vega to Vega. Mine never stopped dropping out in exact mode regardless of how long it was plugged in or running. It was connected to a huge variety of sources in an effort to find one that didn't cause this behavior. There was also zero support from Auralic whose CEO first made a big deal about exact mode as a unique selling point, and later said it was just an experiment and not supported.

My Vega was sold because of this behavior.

I suspect the dropout behavior with the Vega is related to the settings of the DPLL in the ESS chip. If so, the behavior of the DAC will be related to the jitter inherent in the source signal.

Therefore: a low jitter source should be used to maximize the ability of the Vega to run in "exact" mode. Get away from standard commercial computers, and try a really advanced source, like the Sonore µRendu, with a really good power supply and USB cable.

Remember also, sensitivity to incoming jitter will drop with proper warm up (low phase noise clocks need temperature stability to perform at their best): leave the Vega and the source powered up!

If you insist on using commercial grade computers as a source, then you will probably have to run settings below exact to achieve drop out free performance.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Not true, it varies from Vega to Vega. Mine never stopped dropping out in exact mode regardless of how long it was plugged in or running. It was connected to a huge variety of sources in an effort to find one that didn't cause this behavior. There was also zero support from Auralic whose CEO first made a big deal about exact mode as a unique selling point, and later said it was just an experiment and not supported.

My Vega was sold because of this behavior.

Per my experience, Vega in Exact mode is VERY sensitive to how it is driven by the upstream gear over USB. The clock locking range in Exact mode is ultra narrow, and if the USB signal from the streamer is not rock steady the Vega will suffer repeated dropouts. I use an Aries Femto to feed Vega, and in Exact mode, it can take several minutes from cold before the dropouts subside. I minimize the dropouts by leaving Vega running all the time (no Sleep or power-down), and keep to content at multiples of 44.1KHz sampling rate (44.1 redbook, 88.2, 176.4, etc.) With AES/coax/Toslink input, my Vega has never had a single dropout, but I prefer the sound with USB interface.

If the dropouts don't trail off after a few minutes, there are at least 2 possibilities: (1) Vega is defective, (2) incoming signal clock component is not sufficiently stable. The dropouts are an indication of Vega trying to adjust to the incoming signal, and usually should not persist indefinitely after the DAC has reached thermal equilibrium and content sampling rate is not being changed. If the dropouts lessen or disappear with Auto clock setting then it is suggestive of issue (2).

lmitche, your Vega was likely a case of (1): defective. It is unfortunate that Auralic chose not to take your unit back for investigation. There support overall has been very responsive.

What can be puzzling is that issue (2) is not necessarily indicative of bad equipment. There can be leakage loop(s) at work, or poor AC power quality, etc. that can cause the streamer USB output to be sub-optimal. Troubleshooting is unfortunately non-trivial.

Scan, yes my Vega may have been defective but the owner of the company wouldn't take a return, so I was stuck. I had hoped the dsd256 upgrade would solve it, but at RMAF 2015 the CEO told me it would have no impact on the dropouts. Later the upgrade process was bungled, so I had no other choice but to sell. Hopefully the buyer is happy.

After a brief but very successful dalliance with a Mytek Brooklyn DAC, I am very pleased with my $350 used IFI microIDSD DAC playing upsampled music at DSD512.

I am auditioning the Black Label version currently. I know of several former Vega owners that have taken the dsd512 path via the IFI or T+A solutions. No one misses their Vega.

• 1 year later...
On 12/24/2016 at 8:06 AM, lmitche said:

Scan, yes my Vega may have been defective but the owner of the company wouldn't take a return, so I was stuck. I had hoped the dsd256 upgrade would solve it, but at RMAF 2015 the CEO told me it would have no impact on the dropouts. Later the upgrade process was bungled, so I had no other choice but to sell. Hopefully the buyer is happy.

After a brief but very successful dalliance with a Mytek Brooklyn DAC, I am very pleased with my $350 used IFI microIDSD DAC playing upsampled music at DSD512.

I am auditioning the Black Label version currently. I know of several former Vega owners that have taken the dsd512 path via the IFI or T+A solutions. No one misses their Vega.

I dont miss my Vega either...maybe because I am running a Vega G2 now.  

Sorry for your issues with your Vega, but I think the satisfied Vega users far outweighs the several disgruntled users you know.

McIntosh MC601s - C50 | Harbeth M40.3 XD | Holo May KTE  | SOtM sMS-200 Neo - sPS-500 | PS Audio P20 PowerPlant | SVS SB13-Ultra subs