IGNORED

Auralic Vega Music Drop Outs. potential solutions needed?

I am new to posting on this great site.

I am thinking that there are MANY Auralic Vega DAC owner/Users facing very annoying music drop outs while utilizing the Vega's "EXACT" Clock setting and listening to higher resolution music files, me to.

I am NOT expecting a complete elimination of these drop outs, but, I am hoping that some on this forum have discovered methods/ways to lessen their Auralic Vega's "EXACT" Clock setting music drop outs.

My Computer/Server: Late 2010 Mac-Mini.

Solid State internal HD

Fire Wire Externam Music HD's

Vega input onto Hi Speed USB Bus by itself

OSX 10.8.5

Processor: 2.4 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory: 8GB 1067 MHZ DDR3

External Linear Power Supply for Mac-Mini: MOJO Audio Power Supply.

Any advice from those who are living with, experiencing similar circumstances will be MORE than greatly appreciated, as I am becomming frustrated with the absolute fidelity of this DAC because the constant drop outs are Soooooo damned annoying.

Thanks a bunch.

Lance A.

Exact mode is experimental with no guarantee. Mr. Wang has said this MANY times. However, power stabilization is very important. Personally, I have little issue with it and seems to be better with the ARIES.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

jtwrace,

I am very much aware of Auralics' "current" opinions concerning the use of the Vega's "EXACT" Clock setting.

Just for discissions sake I am including a paragragh from one of the Vega's first public reviews. This was/is available in the 6MOONS Archives review of the Auralic Vega DAC.

" By using the Femto master clock, we also added clock options, a very important function. As the machine warms up, we can enable the additional 'fine' and 'exact' levels for clocking precision in the menu. This can create huge sonic improvements particularly over USB. Over the past few months we upgraded our internal firmware several times to create the perfect balance between secure data lock and best sound quality. With retail firmware version 1.3 and higher it allows most modern computers to run in exact clock mode without any dropouts. We thus consider 'exact mode' the Vega's true advantage though most people already were shocked hearing it in 'auto mode'. "

I am a realist and only care that the "EXACT" Clock setting of my Vega DAC is the ONLY thing (in my opinion) that makes this DAC outperform my Ayre QB9 DSD and Metrum Hex DACS. And outperform them it does, via it's "EXACT" Clock setting.

I understand that there are Auralic Vega owners who are also using Apple based servers and have little to no music drop outs via the "EXACT" Clock setting. I simply want to learn what you/they are doing differently than I, so that I may lower the drop outs if possible. My Vega DAC is the First and Only digital play back source that is actually musically enjoyable period.

I only wish to lower the vdrop outs some if possible.

Lance A.

I guess you have a good USB cable or at least have tried some different ones?

I have a Mid 2010 Macbook Pro Core i5 2,53GHz. If I start playing right after I turn it on I might experience dropouts during first song. It seams like the processor needs a little bit of start up time to perform good enough for the "Exact" clock setting.

The user manual says you will experience drop off if the computer is not powerful enough on "Fine" setting and for the "Exact" on any computer without special optimisation for music playback.

For reference:

OS X 10.10.1 Yosemite. Installed software: Wavelab 8.5, Logic Pro 9, iZotope RX, Dante software, BoomRecorder, A lot of VST plugins and Licensing software. Dropbox and XLD. Pure Music 2 with memory play when connected to Auralic. Audirvana for offsite playing.

Thanks a lot for your reply. It is quite a confusing issue as you use an Apple computer that is no more powerful than mine and I have used several different high quality USB cables and yet you have VERY FEW drop outs using "EXACT" setting. I continue to have to fight with my system to stop these drop outs with almost every song beyond cd quality.

What IS THE DIFFERENCE?

Lance A.

Thanks a lot for your reply. It is quite a confusing issue as you use an Apple computer that is no more powerful than mine and I have used several different high quality USB cables and yet you have VERY FEW drop outs using "EXACT" setting. I continue to have to fight with my system to stop these drop outs with almost every song beyond cd quality.

What IS THE DIFFERENCE?

Lance A.

As I mentioned above, power more than likely.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Nope, not likely the reason for the difference in drop out between our two Apple based setups. My computer's processor is a bit more powerful than yours, yet you claim to have very little drop out issues. It's gotta be something else.

"As I mentioned above, power more than likely."

Nope, not likely the reason for the difference in drop out between our two Apple based setups. My computer's processor is a bit more powerful than yours, yet you claim to have very little drop out issues. It's gotta be something else.

"As I mentioned above, power more than likely."

Are you talking to me? If so, what processor are you speaking about?

As I mentioned above, power more than likely.

+1

The Intel Core i5 is more powerful. I have a iMac with 2,66GHz Intel Core Duo and it is not up to the task.

What really would be interesting is to get feedback from other Mac Mini owners out there. I guess you might succeed with the new 2.6GHz i5? But I would not bet on it...

That is it! That is what I have been trying to hear about. If I filter through various forum sites and posted reviews of the Auralic Vega DAC, I read of many owners using Apple computers, many Mac-Mini's with their Vega DAC's via it's EXACT clock setting.

I have NEVER read one of these reviews that had music drop out issues beyond once every four hours or so.

But, now that I have one of these Vega DACs, a MAC-Mini and tons of drop outs via the EXACT clock setting, WHERE ARE THESE PEOPLE? I have posted asking for their advice on several forums with almost "0" feedback.

Were these original postings from all of these Auralic Vega/Mac-Mini owners with NO drop out issues for real?

Hey, all that I am asking is HOW you are managing to accomplish what I cannot with similar equipment.

"What really would be interesting is to get feedback from other Mac Mini owners out there."

Lance A.

Were these original postings from all of these Auralic Vega/Mac-Mini owners with NO drop out issues for real?

Clean AC. I had occasional dropouts with a Wyrd and a Furman PST8D filtered power strip. With just a cheap power strip it would be unusable. And I have pretty clean power here to begin with. I since put the Vega and Wyrd on a Yulong P18 power filter and now I only get dropouts when the Vega is cold. It seems the sleep mode is inadequate, but it only takes a few minutes for it to warm up so at least I don't have to wait for an hour to reenable the exact clock. To warm up I just turn it on and leave it sitting for 5-10 min.

I don't use any fancy USB cable, just a reasonably good looking one I think in fact came with the Vega. A Ghent Audio U01 USB cable (from a MacBook Pro r15 to the Wyrd).

And yeah, exact mode is where this thing really shines, so well worth the trouble to get working reliably.

Yep, clean AC is a BIG deal! I have the Biggest Adept Response TSSD 12 conditioner powering all of my equipment accept the Mac-Mini. The Mac-Mini is plugged into it's own seperate Adept Response ARTS2 power conditioner to assure absolute seperation from all other components. And I have recently added the MOJO external Power supply to my Mac-Mini, replacing the internal switching supply. The sonic upgrade was/is remarkable.

That done, The frequent higher resolution music drop outs remains constant. And I agree, the EXACT Clock setting of the Vega DAC make this DAC the ONLY digital component that has EVER approximated real music for me. It is worth what ever effort required to reduce or eliminate these annoying drop outs. Hence my Original request for assistance in this POST.

I ever use a i3 and exact clock no issue.

Its never regarding how powerful ur cpu is. Is about how efficient ur system runs. With Mac, sorry to say we have no control unless someone do something like AO. I am running bare OS, Either windows 7/8 or server. If regular daily use pc/Mac were used, likely it has tons of background processes running which may cause drop out with exact setting.

second. Exact setting need thermal stabalize. Meaning let the dac on for an hour or so is a must.

Speaker system:
RPI4B + Gentooplayer CLTO kernal + LMS (upnp plug-in) + Diretta host -> RPI4B + Gentooplayer CLTO kernal + Diretta Target -> Ansuz diamond USB -> Holo Red DDC -> DH Labs Silver Sonic hdmi 2.1 -> Holo May KTE I2S -> DIY silver wire balance -> Holo Bliss KTE -> Ansuz Diamond balance -> BAT Rex 500 -> ASI Ref speaker cable -> ASI Tango
HP:
HD600 moded, HE1000v1, airpod pro2, Sony WH-10000XM5

• 3 months later...

Low jitter source. I have noted great improvement with my Adnaco USB unit, and the times where I had JRMC in my home theater zone, where a lot of volume DSP is used, dropouts occur, whereas with my audio zones using straight DSD or simple upsampling to 384khz have zero dropouts.

Have you played with the use buffer and stream setting? Eg safe vs reliable etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

• 8 months later...
I've been feeding my VEGA with REGEN and that seems to have remedied my drop outs at EXACT mode.

I am running the same combo (with Curious Cables) and I still get dropouts. I thought the Regen reclocks the data and therefore should provide a more stable signal for the Vega's Exact mode to operate smoothly as has been your experience.

Could you advise whether you are running ASIO or WASAPI and what settings you have selected for the Windows driver? I currently use WASAPI with the driver buffer set to "safe". Also could there be another reason I have the problem with dropouts and you don't?

My signal chain is: Asus laptop (external 2TB HDD using LPS) running JRiver v20 > Curious Cable > USB Regen (Teradak LPS) > Curious Cable > Auralic Vega (exact mode).

Other variables to consider:

1. What music player software are you using?

2. Perhaps try a different USB port on your Mac Mini?

3. Do you have any other applications running when using your Mac Mini with the Vega for playback?

BTW, I don't have an Auralic Vega.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Other variables to consider:

1. What music player software are you using?

2. Perhaps try a different USB port on your Mac Mini?

3. Do you have any other applications running when using your Mac Mini with the Vega for playback?

BTW, I don't have an Auralic Vega.

I am using an ASUS Laptop with Win7 and run Fidelizer (extreme) then JRiver v20. Music library comes from an external 2TB HDD.

Interesting Hauser.

I get a bunch of dropouts (around 6-8) in the first 10 minutes as well then they only occur every 15 - 20 mins apart (& sometimes longer). Just when you think they've gone you get another one - it's very frustrating especially in the middle of a favourite track.

OP:

For a very small amount of coin (relative to performance) you could get an Auralic Aries Mini and put all this behind you... and, as many have said, enjoy better SQ.

I have a VEGA, I get the frustration but IMHO you ought to give a serious DAC like that a better source. I use an Aurender N100... in exact mode the 1st track played drops out max 3 or 4 times in the first minute, after that it never drops again, regardless how long the listening session.

All of the Aries series streamers were designed to work perfectly with the Vega, I expect all of them sound significantly better than an un-optimised computer.

I also have the Aries Mini, it's a knockout product for the money.

If you must use a computer, consider a mains regenerator, however this will cost more than an Aries Mini.

In short, give that wonderful DAC a better source.

;-)

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen