IGNORED

Anyone else still waiting on the Ayre QB-9 upgrade?

Hi Everyone,

I'm still waiting for an upgrade of my old QB-9 to the DSD 24/192 version of the QB-9. Whenever I call the authorised dealer in Germany, Sun Audio, I get "call back in a couple months", which has been going on for two years now. I guess Ayre is busy making Pono components. It's frustrating, to the point where I'm considering other brands, since there are so many interesting alternatives coming out, but I don't want to give up that Ayre sound.

Thanks for any feedback!

Edward

Mac Mini 2012 > Ayre QB-9 > Ayre ax-7e > Dynaudio Focus 340

Hi Edward,

same here: I bought my 'old' QB-9 in 2011. Have been trying to get through to anyone at Sun Audio or Ayre HQ regarding the upgrade, but I have not yet been able to invoke any kind of response, none at all. Went for email, the contact form, tried to call them... nothing... not even a 'call back in a couple months'. But I am still determined to somehow get my upgrade...

Cheers,

Roman

Thanks for the feedback!

I contacted Ayre directly using the contact form on their website. I'll post the results.

If I recall correctly, I read a post from Charles Hansen (either here or on Audioasylum) that the non-US dealers do their own upgrades in-house rather than ship the unit back to Colorado. If you live in Germany, I suspect this is on Sun Audio rather than Ayre, directly. Nevertheless, Ayre should know their German dealer is very slow! They may be able to contact Sun Audio on your behalf?

Regardless, I hope you get this worked out. The DSD upgrade is fabulous and well worth it but I can imagine your frustration at having to wait so long.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

If I recall correctly, I read a post from Charles Hansen (either here or on Audioasylum) that the non-US dealers do their own upgrades in-house rather than ship the unit back to Colorado. If you live in Germany, I suspect this is on Sun Audio rather than Ayre, directly. Nevertheless, Ayre should know their German dealer is very slow! They may be able to contact Sun Audio on your behalf?

That's also my understanding. However, the guy from the German dealer said that Ayre can't deliver enough upgrade kits to meet the demand, i.e. the bottleneck is at Ayre, not at the German dealer. Humm, not sure what to believe.

Mac Mini 2012 > Ayre QB-9 > Ayre ax-7e > Dynaudio Focus 340

That's also my understanding. However, the guy from the German dealer said that Ayre can't deliver enough upgrade kits to meet the demand, i.e. the bottleneck is at Ayre, not at the German dealer. Humm, not sure what to believe.

I suspect both. I had to wait a while before they were ready to do my upgrade but I thought it was because mine was a DX-5. Maybe they haven't caught up on the QB-9's either. By "responsive" I meant they would always get back to me promptly and answered my questions and concerns.

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

• 4 weeks later...