IGNORED

Remove Display Driver Improves Audio Quality Greatly!

koblongata

I think if you remove the whole PC, you'll find the sound a lot more open.

Thank you for that enlightening comment Jim. As always, it reflects your company's concern for their customers.

Removing the video display driver does impact on sound quality although I found that removing your company's software and replacing it with an alternative player brought about a more beneficial change than removing the video driver.

Thank you for your comment nonetheless

Also, just confirmed that setting the integrated graphics dram allocation to smallest possible in BIOS (in my case it's 32MB) is very important. Without doing so, the sound will be hasty and harsh in comparison.

I'd suggest removing your individual computer components from it's case and putting them in a large tupperware container wrapped in aluminum foil. It did wonders for sbgk's squeezebox touch back in the day.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

I'd suggest removing your individual computer components from it's case and putting them in a large tupperware container wrapped in aluminum foil. It did wonders for sbgk's squeezebox touch back in the day.

Don't forget the tin foil hat for your head as well. :)

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Jokes are like emissions reflecting endlessly inside this thread, all the musical details are buried...

I was being serious you should try the tupperware/aluminum foil solution!

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

I was being serious you should try the tupperware/aluminum foil solution!

I know! that's why I said "emission reflecting inside", that's an acknowledgment to your comment, no? :)

Your idea seem worth trying but I need to find a good looking tupperware first... not a joke.

And Actually I am trying to get some 3M emission absorbing at the moment, it's not that easy to obtain here in Tawain. But then I think I digress.

Please don't turn this thread into a mess. Humor is great. I wish everyone had a sense of humor about audio. It's not life and death.

Thanks for your common sense and good spirits. And thanks again for this wonderful site. CA cost me a lot of money in equipment and music downloads, but I never regretted any of the purchases I made based on CA recommendations.

I think the Chord Hugo being extremely highly resolute is part of the reason I hear dramatic differences.

Or perhaps it is not very well isolated electrically. That could be another plausible explanation.

On my old (Hegel) DAC, I could hear differences between sources until I added an AP2 and AQVOX. With my Benchmark DAC2, I cannot hear differences between USB sources, which I attribute to its good electric insulation.

Removing the video display driver does impact on sound quality although I found that removing your company's software and replacing it with an alternative player brought about a more beneficial change than removing the video driver.

I use JRiver for Mac to play my DSD files and am very pleased with it. I definitely recommend JRiver.

I personally found JRiver's comment hilarious.

The posts by the thought police are quite funny too, in their own way.

Hi Boris75,

Humour is fine, but here is a newly joined CAer sharing his/her findings. Does that person need to get pissed on immediately? Nice welcome, and from a bloody sponsor of the site no less.

Plus Jriver has a history of grenading threads.

Or perhaps it is not very well isolated electrically. That could be another plausible explanation.

On my old (Hegel) DAC, I could hear differences between sources until I added an AP2 and AQVOX. With my Benchmark DAC2, I cannot hear differences between USB sources, which I attribute to its good electric insulation.

Yeah, that can certainly do. Was trying to lower the interference, freeing up resources of all sorts, make it an as simple (and cheap) as possible setup that sound good. But, again, lowering these is quite a feat on its own, free though :) Still much to do and learn.

And what is your own concept about "Hi-Fi" software?

You can start off with Foobar with JPlay. Using MonkeyMote HD you can get almost the useability as JRiver and IMO better sound. You also get flexibility with filter choices which also enhance the experience.

Moving On there is HQplayer which is much better sounding and I highly recommend it.

I have just started testing XXHighEnd and so far I am impressed. I initially installed it on a laptop so I will have to put it on a better system though to fairly compare it to the sound I am getting with HQPlayer and JPlay. Even at this stage it is superior to JRiver IMO.

There are certainly better sounding choices vs JRiver out there IMO. You do give up some appearance and ease of use, but I feel it is well worth it.

Well he must have tried these things because in the section a note about sponsorship of the CAPS v4 write up he states:

Prior to contacting JRiver I had already decided what playback applications would be used for the CAPS v4 project. I also didn't let JRiver know this software decision, thus avoiding any semblance of impropriety.

jrmc supporters are quite hostile, aren't they.

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

http://mqnplayer.blogspot.co.uk/