IGNORED

Remove Display Driver Improves Audio Quality Greatly!

koblongata

Nope. Not buying it.

See that you have an Audiophilleo2 to deal with jitters introduced by computer, but you should still try to minimize it, all of the DACs that claim do not affected by jitters still sound better if the source (in this case the computer) is taken with more care.

what's the "valuable information on a solution" would you mind share?

It is concerning extending AES3 other than running a new two core and shield cable. I hope to kill two birds with one stone with the Adnaco system to remotely mount an RME AES3 card and USB2.0 port closer to the DAC. I'm not getting the results with USB I'd hoped for after all this time sticking with USB, so I thought to give the RME solution a try. Only needed for 192fs and under PCM, so that's fine for what I want to do.

It still means running a cable from PC to DAC some 25m, but it's a smaller, but more difficult to install fibre optic cable :) Still need to study prices of the hardware, on the face of it, the simple two core cable would win so far... oh well.

The JPLAY forum had a post on this topic, I don't normally venture there, but since there is such animosity with Jriver, curiosity got the better of me.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

It is concerning extending AES3 other than running a new two core and shield cable. I hope to kill two birds with one stone with the Adnaco system to remotely mount an RME AES3 card and USB2.0 port closer to the DAC. I'm not getting the results with USB I'd hoped for after all this time sticking with USB, so I thought to give the RME solution a try. Only needed for 192fs and under PCM, so that's fine for what I want to do.

It still means running a cable from PC to DAC some 25m, but it's a smaller, but more difficult to install fibre optic cable :) Still need to study prices of the hardware, on the face of it, the simple two core cable would win so far... oh well.

The JPLAY forum had a post on this topic, I don't normally venture there, but since there is such animosity with Jriver, curiosity got the better of me.

Don't really know what you are saying but it sure sounds exotic to me.

Are these the stuff you are referring to:

RME: HDSPe AES

Adnaco-S5: 20 Gb/s PCIe Gen 2 Over Fiber Optic Expansion System

Very interesting indeed, please give more information or the results you are getting when you have! I think the PCM digital connection really needs an update... all these high tech extensions, re-clockers, numerous extra hardware... just for this ancient PCM digital stream to work right...

Don't really know what you are saying but it sure sounds exotic to me.

Are these the stuff you are referring to:

RME: HDSPe AES

Adnaco-S5: 20 Gb/s PCIe Gen 2 Over Fiber Optic Expansion System

Very interesting indeed, please give more information or the results you are getting when you have! I think the PCM digital connection really needs an update... all these high tech extensions, re-clockers, numerous extra hardware... just for this ancient PCM digital stream to work right...

Yes, they're the equipment I'm referring to.

As an experiment I fed the coax signal out of SACD player into DAC, playing a standard CD. In setting up a simple A/B, the DAC played the same music from computer/player/hard drive via USB. Comparisons were made between the two inputs (COAX and USB) to the DAC reasonably easily as well as the analog out from the SACD player.

There was a pretty tough call to compare the coax input of the DAC to the SACD player, to me they sounded the same, therefore the differences are just construction and topological differences between the SACD and the DAC.

When the same music was compared via USB, the results of the music were very obvious changes, a drop in height of sound stage, and smearing of the finer details, I suppose a classic veiling. Now this could be a deficiency in a number of places, all the way from the computer, so I tried a HP workstation and a Mac Mini, audirvana + to Jriver, but the effect was much the same. The SACD also has a USB input, and the performance was much the same as for the DAC input, lifeless.

My thinking now is to bypass USB altogether with the RME, since it re-clocks the signal internally or by an external clock and works from the PCIe bus to AES3. The problem is the computer is 25m away from the DAC, so a cable is necessary whether it's a 2 core shield or a fibre optic cable & complex array of the Adnaco PCIe bus extension. Simplicity favours the cable which can run to 100m, so that's plenty for I want to do.

I only will use the AES3 for 48, 96 and 192 PCM files. DSD is taken care of by DSD_DISC which is played by the SACD player as well as regular CDs. AES3 has its place, it is a lot less noisy than USB, properly clocked, the sound what you hear can yield very good results.

Nothing to do with the thread of course.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Please don't turn this thread into a mess. Humor is great. I wish everyone had a sense of humor about audio. It's not life and death.

C'mon, of course they are life and death. My fiancé shot my left leg when the invoice of the new DAC I bought was found. I promised her a nice jewel in order to protect the right one (or something in the middle)...!

Cheers!

Roch

PS/ Some fiancés are worst than wives, but... my fiancé is like MasterCard , priceless...!

I honestly don't get it. How was the comment about taking the whole computer out inflammatory?

Certain people are bothered about certain software, and we must all suffer for it.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

So ... moving on ... if a standard video card is a power hog and since most(not all) need additional power that the bus cannot supply then perhaps it is reasonable to think that these video cards could be electrically noisy. Not saying that they are, just that they could be ... I think the level of electrical noise that might be present could be a function of what the card is actually doing, or not doing. Not sure if this potential electrical noise has ever been measured, or can it even be measured? Is it that subjectively, we think it is or may be there, but objectively it would be a difficult thing to measure?

And in the same vein, if we suppose that a hi-tech video card can be electrically noisy then what about the lowly onboard video system? If the video subsystem exists in the CPU and does not require additional power then perhaps it does not suffer the same power issues that a PCIe card may encounter?

My audio machine uses onboard video and I do let it power down at 2 minutes and I also think that there is a slight and subtle change in sound quality when it goes to sleep. This is a little like comparing SPDIF and USB which are both very good, but one clearly has more ability although the other perhaps sounds slightly better.

I did plan to install a better video card in this machine but ultimately, have not done so.

See that you have an Audiophilleo2 to deal with jitters introduced by computer, but you should still try to minimize it, all of the DACs that claim do not affected by jitters still sound better if the source (in this case the computer) is taken with more care.

I must admit, I really struggle to hear any difference between sources since the AP2. And... I do entertain my own bit of quite possibly audiophile voodoo in the Aqvox linear PS to the AP2! I am very aware that my ears play tricks on me, but removing the video driver??

Roon / JRiver with Audiolense XO -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> Cyrus Mono x200 Signatures -> Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arretes

I must admit, I really struggle to hear any difference between sources since the AP2. And... I do entertain my own bit of quite possibly audiophile voodoo in the Aqvox linear PS to the AP2! I am very aware that my ears play tricks on me, but removing the video driver??

Also make sure the power supply is outside of the case, with it sitting inside the computer case, the noise it makes overpowers many optimizations results.

Yes, open up the computer case for the openness of the sound xD provided that your environment isn't more noisy than your computer