IGNORED

Remove Display Driver Improves Audio Quality Greatly!

koblongata

Just uninstalled my onboard Intel HD video card driver, it is now a Video Controller in Other Devices in Device Manager.

Cannot believe how much the audio quality has improved, like 10X the openness, my JPLAY's SinglePC Ultrastream (or even native ASIO ) setup is now better than 2-PC Xtream.

Do not use discreet video card, even without driver the audio quality is much worse.

Please try and would be happy to know if it works for you.

Cheers!

Video does effect sound negativity please ignore the previous comment. If you read the HQPlayer thread you will actually see a manufacture that actually understands computer audio and makes the same recommendation that you do. Please do not be intimidated by the uninformed. See #930 for an example.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/hq-player-20293/index38.html

And what is your own concept about "Hi-Fi" software?

You can start off with Foobar with JPlay. Using MonkeyMote HD you can get almost the useability as JRiver and IMO better sound. You also get flexibility with filter choices which also enhance the experience.

Moving On there is HQplayer which is much better sounding and I highly recommend it.

I have just started testing XXHighEnd and so far I am impressed. I initially installed it on a laptop so I will have to put it on a better system though to fairly compare it to the sound I am getting with HQPlayer and JPlay. Even at this stage it is superior to JRiver IMO.

There are certainly better sounding choices vs JRiver out there IMO. You do give up some appearance and ease of use, but I feel it is well worth it.

A few months ago I removed the video driver from my PC in an attempt to reduce stuttering via DLNA. I run my PC headless. Removing the driver did reduce latency (as measured by latencymon). In the end, I don't think it made much of a change in the stuttering and I can't comment on the effect on the sound quality.

A properly setup system should never stutter. It is more than just a driver at that point. Look deeper into settings buffers etc. Any other stuff interfering with playback. What hardware and software are you using?