IGNORED

Remove Display Driver Improves Audio Quality Greatly!

koblongata

Just uninstalled my onboard Intel HD video card driver, it is now a Video Controller in Other Devices in Device Manager.

Cannot believe how much the audio quality has improved, like 10X the openness, my JPLAY's SinglePC Ultrastream (or even native ASIO ) setup is now better than 2-PC Xtream.

Do not use discreet video card, even without driver the audio quality is much worse.

Please try and would be happy to know if it works for you.

Cheers!

Just uninstalled my onboard Intel HD video card driver, it is now a Video Controller in Other Devices in Device Manager.

Cannot believe how much the audio quality has improved, like 10X the openness, my JPLAY's SinglePC Ultrastream (or even native ASIO ) setup is now better than 2-PC Xtream.

Do not use discreet video card, even without driver the audio quality is much worse.

Cheers!

You can disable the Intel video in the bios instead of just uninstalling the driver. That would be more effective. Anyone not using the onboard video should disable that in the bios. Unless you are controlling the computer as a dedicated music server you will need a video card of some kind so you can see what you are doing. If you are not playing games then using a basic video card from ATI or Nvidia should work just fine as long as they do not include sound drivers. Even so, the higher end video cards can disable the audio and you don't need to install their audio drivers. That choice to install audio is an option in all the driver packs under advanced installation. For example, if you are using Nvidia as I do you can disable the on board audio and choose not to install their HD audio driver upon driver installation.

If you are suggesting that the very presence of any video card in a slot on your pc will add noise then you have probably got other problems in your pc power supply or motherboard. Specific motherboards and power supplies very greatly on the amount of noise they generate. Choosing a high price gaming board is no guarantee of lower noise. Often the more basic cheaper boards have less crosstalk of internal components. The ground plane on the motherboard design is an important issue and it is here that many companies save money by using one less layer.

Cheers!

Video does effect sound negativity please ignore the previous comment. If you read the HQPlayer thread you will actually see a manufacture that actually understands computer audio and makes the same recommendation that you do. Please do not be intimidated by the uninformed. See #930 for an example.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/hq-player-20293/index38.html

I think if you remove the whole PC, you'll find the sound a lot more open.

Why do you feel the need to keep stirring the pot.

Childish, unhelpful and totally unnecessary.

From Wikipedia:

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

Why do you feel the need to keep stirring the pot.

Childish, unhelpful and totally unnecessary.

From Wikipedia:

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

polices his own forum with an iron rod and feels free to crap on threads here because he's paying.

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

http://mqnplayer.blogspot.co.uk/

Back on topic, removing or disabling the video is often bundled in HDMI and there's one less audio route less with that as well. Recommend to disable this if possible.

Intrigued by Jriver's comment, I headed over to the JPLAY forum and picked up some valuable information on a solution that's on my mind for a while and now solved.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I run Xtream but use whatever you prefer that's why there are options, the second server runs ws2012 in core with the AO and no monitor attached, Phil's advice in his guide is:

Do not install the 3rd party driver of your video adapter if not absolutely needed. Many graphic card drivers set system priority in favor for the graphic card. If you really need the graphic cards driver, try to install only the INF files with PnPUtil and not the whole driver package.

I have no idea if the video driver can alter audio quality; but on my desktop pc if you do a clean Windows install and then install the video driver after installing the audio driver, it knocks the audio driver out of functioning. If you install the audio driver first everything works.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Still need a display device to see things in my case, and my board provides only choosing to boot from Integrated or Discreet unfortunately, what is your mainboard?

Really? so there is no difference with a presence of a discreet video card in your case? can you please tell me what is your video card, mainboard and power supply.

Video does effect sound negativity please ignore the previous comment. If you read the HQPlayer thread you will actually see a manufacture that actually understands computer audio and makes the same recommendation that you do. Please do not be intimidated by the uninformed. See #930 for an example.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/hq-player-20293/index38.html

Cool, I think video, being the most "realtime" activity, crippling it by not installing the full fledged driver really made some major difference.

Thanks for more guides!

Back on topic, removing or disabling the video is often bundled in HDMI and there's one less audio route less with that as well. Recommend to disable this if possible.

Intrigued by Jriver's comment, I headed over to the JPLAY forum and picked up some valuable information on a solution that's on my mind for a while and now solved.

what's the "valuable information on a solution" would you mind share?

I run Xtream but use whatever you prefer that's why there are options, the second server runs ws2012 in core with the AO and no monitor attached, Phil's advice in his guide is:

...how can I missed that bit, it's already documented after all.

The difference it made though was so dramatic that I had to share :)

Cool, I think video, being the most "realtime" activity, crippling it by not installing the full fledged driver really made some major difference.

Not just that: the whole video card or circuit consumes quite a lot of power, and therefore can generate a lot of noise.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels