IGNORED

Anybody Familiar with Antelope Zodiac Platinum + Voltikus + 10M Atomic Clock? vs PS Audio Directstream?

Hi folks,

I've been shopping around the past couple of months for a DAC for my main speaker system (I'm currently using a Hugo feeding into my Woo Audio 300B tube amp). My budget started out at around $3k, but (surprise, surprise!) it's been creeping up! I was planning to audition the PS Audio Directstream (DirectStream DAC | PS Audio) next week, but when I called my local store to arrange a visit the salesperson there told me they didn't carry it, but that I should consider trying out the Antelope Audio Zodiac Platinum instead, together with the Antelope Atomic Clock (Zodiac Platinum DSD DAC, Audiophile 10M Atomic Clock and Volticus PSU Bundle | Antelope Audio E-Store).

I've read a few reviews online about the Antelope at The Ear (Antelope Audio Zodiac Platinum DSD | The Ear) and at Stereophile (Antelope Audio Zodiac Platinum D/A processor–headphone amplifier & Voltikus power supply | Stereophile.com), but I'd really like to know if anyone's had a chance to A/B the Antelope DAC against the PS Audio Directstream.

Additionally, since the Antelope DAC can be purchased without the 10M Atomic Clock, I was wondering if anyone here could comment on the necessity of this device. Does having such an (expensive - around 6,000 euros) device make a tangible difference in sound quality?

Many thanks in advance for any advice or comments!

Art

Artifex

Searching for Good Sounds in China!

Hi folks,

I've been shopping around the past couple of months for a DAC for my main speaker system (I'm currently using a Hugo feeding into my Woo Audio 300B tube amp). My budget started out at around $3k, but (surprise, surprise!) it's been creeping up! I was planning to audition the PS Audio Directstream (DirectStream DAC | PS Audio) next week, but when I called my local store to arrange a visit the salesperson there told me they didn't carry it, but that I should consider trying out the Antelope Audio Zodiac Platinum instead, together with the Antelope Atomic Clock (Zodiac Platinum DSD DAC, Audiophile 10M Atomic Clock and Volticus PSU Bundle | Antelope Audio E-Store).

I've read a few reviews online about the Antelope at The Ear (Antelope Audio Zodiac Platinum DSD | The Ear) and at Stereophile (Antelope Audio Zodiac Platinum D/A processor–headphone amplifier & Voltikus power supply | Stereophile.com), but I'd really like to know if anyone's had a chance to A/B the Antelope DAC against the PS Audio Directstream.

Additionally, since the Antelope DAC can be purchased without the 10M Atomic Clock, I was wondering if anyone here could comment on the necessity of this device. Does having such an (expensive - around 6,000 euros) device make a tangible difference in sound quality?

Many thanks in advance for any advice or comments!

Art

I know the sound of the AZP with Voltikus (but with out the clock) quite well. I have only heard the DirectStream at the Munich High End Show last year, so it was not really a fair test.

My comments as follows

You need to decide your priorities about convenience and the pursuit of ultimate sound, and which format content is the most important for you.

If legacy content is uninteresting and you will only have DSD tracks then don't get the Directstream, it's forte is PCM to DSD without the hassle of a computer.

If you are willing to play audio out of a PC or MAC then the AZP and DAC's such as the Exasound becoming interesting. There is not so easy to use software out there that does a very good job of converting Redbook to DSD and the software keeps getting better and you can tune the software filter parameters to suit the recording (something not possible with the DirectStream).

Other DAC's to seriously consider are the Lampi's (PCM and DSD versions) from Poland, they are seriously good sounding equipment.

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

I'm using my Gold with Voltikus and it sounds really nice, musical and very detailed.

I'm hearing details i've not heard before.

Mine is also used and a Pre and headphone amp.

My dealer currently has a pre owned one for £1150, i'll PM you the link...

Setup:

Lumin D2> Roksan Blak> Focal 806

I was at the CES show and saw it, and it was the only thing besides a pair of acapella speakers that really impressed me.

I can get a discount since i went to the show...they said the discount is only good until end of this month...you may be able to buy it with my discount since i am not going to buy one (out of my budget....my entire stereo system is less than 1/2 the price of the dac).

Hi Mike,

This is Mark here from Antelope Audio. It was a pleasure to meet you at the C.E.S show and I thank you for stopping by our room.

As requested, here are the details for the exclusive C.E.S attendees discount:

[TABLE=width: 590]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 4, align: center]USA Q1 prices – regular

[/TD]

[TD=align: center]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #CCCCCC, align: center]MODEL USA Q1 2015 USA

[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #CCCCCC, align: center]Dealer price USD

[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #CCCCCC, align: center]dealer margin

[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #CCCCCC, align: center]MAP* USD

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFF00, align: left]Aud. 10M + Platinum Bundle

[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFF00, align: center]8447

[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFF00, align: center]35.00%

[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFF00, align: center]12995

[/TD]

[TD=align: left][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFF00, align: left]Zodiac Platinum Bundle

[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFF00, align: center]3520

[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFF00, align: center]36.00%

[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFF00, align: center]5500

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Rubicon

[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFCC99, align: center]TBC

[/TD]

[TD=align: center]TBC

[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #00FF00, align: center]40000

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 4, align: center]USA Q1 prices – CES

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #CCCCCC, align: center]MODEL USA Q1 2015 USA

[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #CCCCCC, align: center]Dealer price USD

[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #CCCCCC, align: center]dealer margin

[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #CCCCCC, align: center]MAP* USD

[/TD]

[TD=align: center] Discount

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFF00, align: left]Aud. 10M + Platinum Bundle

[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FF3333, align: center]6334

[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFF00, align: center]35.00%

[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFF00, align: center]9745

[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FF3333, align: right]25.00%

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFF00, align: left]Zodiac Platinum Bundle

[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FF3333, align: center]2816

[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFF00, align: center]36.00%

[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFFF00, align: center]4400

[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FF3333, align: right]20.00%

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]Rubicon

[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #FFCC99, align: center]TBC

[/TD]

[TD=align: center]TBC

[/TD]

[TD=bgcolor: #00FF00, align: center]40000

[/TD]

[TD=align: left]no discount

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

This discount is only valid for orders placed before the end of January and for those dealers who visited us at the show, so I suggest that you stock up now before the prices go back up!

Also I remember you spoke to Anssi from Amphion speakers at the show. Would you like me to put you in contact with him?

Please find attached, the Zodiac Platinum DSD DAC and Zodiac Platinum DSD DAC + Audiophile 10M brochures as well as an excellent review from Steven Stone at The Absolute Sound.

Here is some more information that I hope you will find useful:

Zodiac Platinum DSD DAC Video:

My Digtal Magazine Review:

HIFI201502_eMag

Here is a summary of Zodiac Platinum DSD features:

- DSD64, DSD128, oversampled DSD256

- High resolution 384 kHz PCM

- Direct-to-analog DSD conversion

- Ultra-Low jitter USB streaming via custom USB chip

- Switchable FPGA PCM upsampling for natural detail

- Quad DAC architecture for superb dynamic range

- Ultra-low jitter, oven-controlled crystal oscillator

- 64-bit AFC Acoustically Focused Clocking Technology

- Fast, quiet, precise relay control accurate to 0.05dB

- Dual-stage, variable impedance headphone drivers

- Comprehensive control with Aluminum IR remote

- Voltikus triple-regulated, 2nd generation PSU

- 10Mhz Rubidium Atomic Clock Input for ultimate stability

- Control application for Mac, PC, and mobile

- Web-based automatic software updates

- Re-Clocked and De-Jittered Digital Audio outputs

- Analogue Inputs for pre-amplifier functionality

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions, I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Kind regards, --

Mark Ryan

?ui=2&ik=b2622068b5&view=fimg&th=14aee7e6256e445c&attid=0.0.1.1&disp=emb&attbid=ANGjdJ93UrddXnpc7vAtzCtw2Eh-sIzq79nUc00V-lJh4uVyxtRupShytkcxuG4ASNQxgrX_3sMbevFOEh3wjh_vEH8qW212-qz6H_I5Wepp2dS1ZBrmHNNM3FWrUsM&sz=w60-h60&ats=1421537239346&rm=14aee7e6256e445c&zw&atsh=1Business Development

Tel: +44 20 8133 8355

Email: [email protected]

We are proud to announce that Antelope Audio Zen Studio Interface

is the winner of the Pro Sound Network Innovative Product Award!

• 4 weeks later...

I have followed the forum for many months, but do not always contribute to threads....shame on me.

I have direct experience of using the Zodiac Platinum (without 10M clock), as I have had one on demo/loan through a UK dealer. Suffice to say I have ordered one, it's due any day now.

I find the Antelope fed music via USB from a Mac/mini (moddified) and using JRiver MC20, connected out to a Trinnov Amethyst running an active 2.2 speaker setup. The sound is very revealing, just an excellent sounding dac. Bear in mind the Zodiac has been compared against my existing front end a Linn Klimax DS1.

ER / Geisman OXCO / Grimm MU1  / Dutch & Dutch 8C / Townshend Seismic Isolation

HP - SMSL Sanskrit 10th A’ , Woo Audio WA5 LE, Hifiman HEK v2

evo1668:

When the Platinium is back on your shelf, then please let me know, if it's possible to run both RCA and XLR outputs simultaneously - I need to this, to feed amps and subs independently - XLR signal directed to my amps, is filtered by a passive High Pass filter!...

I know the Antelope Zodiac DACs very, very Well - and these allow the above connection!

Best Regards

Carsten S Christensen

@Carsten

I don't normally run any analogue out from the Zodiac, I use the dejittered feed via AES straight into a Trinnov Amethyst which then feeds the analogue signal to my speakers and subs.

I still have the demo unit here, so I will try the XLR/RCA outputs and see if it works. From memory on the Platinum, I think they are independent though.....will try it out and report back

evo1668:

When the Platinium is back on your shelf, then please let me know, if it's possible to run both RCA and XLR outputs simultaneously - I need to this, to feed amps and subs independently - XLR signal directed to my amps, is filtered by a passive High Pass filter!...

I know the Antelope Zodiac DACs very, very Well - and these allow the above connection!

Unfortunately, Antelope Platinum DAC can not do both outputs simultaneously....

Maybe a software change could solve this.

Thanks to the both of you!...?

The case is - in my system I'm using a Antelope Audio Zodiac DAC, which simultaneously feeds both amps and subs in my system!...

Of course I'd like to upgrade (Platinium) - but not if it's not possible to run my setup, as it already is - High Passed fronts, and subs to take over at the lows!...

Best Regards

Carsten S Christensen

Another method I have used successfully in the past, is to have a Y-cable made up in your favourite interconnect. I had xlr's made up as a Y-cable using Linn Silver interconnects, when powering satellite speakers and subs....works a treat!