IGNORED

Audio Moments Your Family Thinks Craziest

Actually is was $8,399. It's the USA version. SLR Lenses, DSLR Lenses | B&H Photo Video

Thank you for reigning in my sanity :)

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

Actually is was $8,399. It's the USA version. SLR Lenses, DSLR Lenses | B&H Photo Video

Canon's version would have set you back $9500. When I switched from film to digital in 2004, I also switched camera systems - from Minolta to Canon. I chose Canon over Nikon for two reasons:

1. Canon manufactured their own imaging sensors while Nikon had to rely on Sony, a company with little experience in the imaging department

2. While Nikon's pro lenses were as good as Canon's, they were more expensive

Soon after I made the switch, Sony bought Minolta. "So what! Who the heck was Minolta, anyway?" you say. They brought auto-focus to the world, and that's just for starters. The response from Nikon & Canon: "Receivers suck! Separates rule!" (sorry, wrong hobby) "Auto focus will never replace the eye of a professional photographer!!!" Thus commenced the ridicule of the impure.

Heh. I dare you to try and take the auto focus systems from any professional sports photographer of today. Try it with professional wedding photographers too. Two words come to mind: "Hornet's Nest". It was a brilliant move by Sony.

Soon after purchasing Minolta, Sony released their own digital SLR (DSLR) and guess what... It included Minolta's new and proprietary IN-CAMERA "anti-shake" technology!!!!!!!!!! Nikon calls it "VR" (Vibration Reduction) and Canon calls it "IS" (Image Stabilization). And don't you know they both charge a premium for it - EVERY TIME YOU BUY A "VR" OR "IS" LENS??? In stark contrast, no matter what lens you placed on Sony's DSLR, it automatically became a VR or IS lens - FREE of charge.

Fast forward to today and Nikon arguably has the best cameras available. They enjoy the highest resolution, better performance in high ISO, and an auto focus system second to none - thanks to the fine engineering from Sony & Minolta.

Don't get me wrong; I love my Canon system, but I wouldn't cry a tear if it morphed overnight into Nikon.

Win10 Sweetwater recording studio PC running JRMC > Soundcraft Ui24r 24-track digital mixer > JBL LSR308 via Magomi Balanced XLR cable pair

Canon's version would have set you back $9500. [...]

That's EF 500/4 II. If memory serves, the Mark I was around $5800. When I switched from 35mm film to digital, I went with Canon mainly because their lenses were less expensive than Nikon's, especially for the super-teles. It's just the reverse now (The 200/2 IS started that trend). Plus they killed off the APS-H format. Can't forgive them for that :( If I were to start over now, I'll most probably go with Nikon. But given my investment in Canon, possibility of start over is close to zero.

That's EF 500/4 II. If memory serves, the Mark I was around $5800. When I switched from 35mm film to digital, I went with Canon mainly because their lenses were less expensive than Nikon's, especially for the super-teles. It's just the reverse now (The 200/2 IS started that trend). Plus they killed off the APS-H format. Can't forgive them for that :( If I were to start over now, I'll most probably go with Nikon. But given my investment in Canon, possibility of start over is close to zero.

I use Canon's 135mm f2L, a Canon 16-35mm f2.8L mkII even more, but the lens I use most is the venerable & uber-flexible Canon 24-105 f4L IS. This lens is a bit of a miracle. Razor sharp at virtually any aperture or focal length with great color & contrast too. Nikon has an excellent super-wide zoom, and a sh*t-load of fabulous primes, but I don't believe they have anything like the 24-105L. THAT I'd miss. A lot. Additionally, my Canon 5DmkII has more than enough resolution & ISO performance for my needs. Thankfully, these soften the blow. But if I was a pro sports photographer... it would be time for a change.

Win10 Sweetwater recording studio PC running JRMC > Soundcraft Ui24r 24-track digital mixer > JBL LSR308 via Magomi Balanced XLR cable pair

Canon's version would have set you back $9500. When I switched from film to digital in 2004, I also switched camera systems - from Minolta to Canon. I chose Canon over Nikon for two reasons:

1. Canon manufactured their own imaging sensors while Nikon had to rely on Sony, a company with little experience in the imaging department

2. While Nikon's pro lenses were as good as Canon's, they were more expensive

Soon after I made the switch, Sony bought Minolta. "So what! Who the heck was Minolta, anyway?" you say. They brought auto-focus to the world, and that's just for starters. The response from Nikon & Canon: "Receivers suck! Separates rule!" (sorry, wrong hobby) "Auto focus will never replace the eye of a professional photographer!!!" Thus commenced the ridicule of the impure.

Heh. I dare you to try and take the auto focus systems from any professional sports photographer of today. Try it with professional wedding photographers too. Two words come to mind: "Hornet's Nest". It was a brilliant move by Sony.

Soon after purchasing Minolta, Sony released their own digital SLR (DSLR) and guess what... It included Minolta's new and proprietary IN-CAMERA "anti-shake" technology!!!!!!!!!! Nikon calls it "VR" (Vibration Reduction) and Canon calls it "IS" (Image Stabilization). And don't you know they both charge a premium for it - EVERY TIME YOU BUY A "VR" OR "IS" LENS??? In stark contrast, no matter what lens you placed on Sony's DSLR, it automatically became a VR or IS lens - FREE of charge.

Fast forward to today and Nikon arguably has the best cameras available. They enjoy the highest resolution, better performance in high ISO, and an auto focus system second to none - thanks to the fine engineering from Sony & Minolta.

Don't get me wrong; I love my Canon system, but I wouldn't cry a tear if it morphed overnight into Nikon.

The wife has been using Nikon since the film days. From what she tells me, she has to much invested in Nikon lens to switch not to mention her "room", big honking Epson printer, computer software galore, slide trays filled with slides from the film days. And here I thought audio was expensive.

The Truth Is Out There

I was a pro photographer for over 20 years. I had dozens of Nikon cameras and lenses, but I always felt Canon made better optics. A Japanese photographer I knew in the 1970's said that in Japan, Canon is the stuff and Nikon is second-rate. Anyway, this is long before the days of autofocus.

I also worked for Minolta for eight years as a consutant when autofocus was just hitting the market. They were sucessfully sued by Eastman Kodak who held the original patent on that technology. Minolta got out of the camera business entirely, and was bought by Konica. Now Konica-Minolta makes office machines.

Camera technology has taken quantum leaps since I got out of the business. I can barely imagine not having to agonize for hours waiting for the film processing in order to find out if you got the shot or not.

The equipment available today is amazing, but the prices are crazy. I guess that's to keep the pro market somewhat exclusive. And what isn't costly nowadays. A top-quality road bicycle is over $10,000. I've been saying this a lot lately: money isn't worth much anymore.

6B232A5130DE11DA.jpg

My one bizarre experience purchasing used audio equipment.

When it comes to audio equipment, my son came to the firm opinion that I had truly lost my sense of reality when I purchased a slightly used Music Fidelity Titan Amp. For over 20 years I have generally had an enjoyable experience while purchasing used audio equipment. Around two and a half years ago was the exception.

We drove down to this posh neighborhood in Hollywood, Florida. The middle aged couple had converted their 4 car garage into a listening room filled with more high end audio equipment than the average small audio retail store. I mean at one end he had surround system of Focal Grande Utopia speakers with four 3 way Utopia speakers, center channel, and two large sub-woofers. An array of Boulder 2000 series amps, and what appeared to be a Krell surround processor with a good 12 foot wide projection screen. At the other end was a pair of Rockport Altair speakers with the Titan amp, a Boulder 2000 series preamp, Boulder phono preamp, some brand of expensive turntable with dual tone arms, a dcs Puuccini CD/SACD player with the U-Clock. Against the long side wall was a long modular metal rack with at least 12 different components I did not have the opportunity to identify. The Titan amp was being replaced with a huge Boulder amp. We listened to several tracks off various SACD’s, and then I connected my MacBook to the U-Clock. After more than 40 minutes of listening, I decided to purchase the Titan amp. I must say those Altair speakers sounded impressive.

The man was a little odd with some quirky mannerisms and hard to read. He was holding out for almost what he paid for the amp. Then a loud bang as the door to the room shot open. The wife entered looking like a creature from a science fiction movie; her head covered with giant curlers wearing a shiny full length gold lame robe, a deep tan, bright red dyed hair, and smeared, glow in the dark pink lipstick, with these shiny gold sandals studded with pink rhinestones and pink feathers. A sight which caused me to blink twice and drop my jaw.

She got right in my face, screaming how she owned half of everything there, and I would be dealing with her. I made the mistake of turning to look at the husband. “Don’t look at that turd, look at me!” I noticed my son slowly moving to the door urging me to follow.

When dealing with the unhinged you need to make a quick deal or walk. I offered $15,000, she countered with $16,500. I said, “Sold.” That created a 5 minute shouting and cursing match between the two. Anyway, the woman demanded cash, in new uncirculated one hundred dollar bills. Only new bills, to quote: “god only knows who has touched used money.”

Then I wanted the two bases. Four inch thick slabs of maple stained a cherry color with Stillpoint 5 feet. We settled on $500 extra.

Of course I did not have that much cash in my handbag which took an hour long trip to the bank. My son reminded me several times how I had finally lost it, and that everything there was probably stolen goods. Once we returned the couple had the manual and the original purchase receipt and delivery receipt (the amp was only 4.5 months old).

We all sat in the living room while the woman counted the money twice, neatly placing the bills in stacks of ten on the coffee table. I watched the husband open a new 1.75 liter bottle of Remy Martin Louis XIII Cognac and pour himself a full glass, then started stirring it with a giant cigar. I mean that is like a $6000 dollar bottle of liquor. He had a big smile as he started sipping and rolling the cigar between his lips and sat on the sofa across from us. I noticed sitting on the side table, by his right hand was a silver revolver. That gave me some concern. So I arose and sat right next to the man and politely said, “nice cognac.” He smiled and replied, “my favorite.” I figured if he sat the glass down and reached for the gun I would take his crazy ass out in a heartbeat. Nothing occurred; we all stood up and headed for the garage.

Once again the couple had a 15 minute shouting and cursing bout while the husband removed acoustic panels and disarmed the alarm off the one garage door. I backed my Cayenne up to the door as the husband disappeared around the side of the house and returned with an electric fork lift, the kind you walk behind. This crazy audiophile actually had a fork lift to move his equipment!!! And my son thinks I have lost it.

The Titan is two large units, the amp at 100 pounds, and power supply at 150 pounds. We needed to stop and rent a hand truck to get the amplifier into the house. On the ride home my son, knowing my strange audiophile tendencies, decided to test my logic for making such a purchase by mentioning I already had two amplifiers what would I need a third one for. I explained always wanting a powerful mega-amp and finding one for half price was irresistible. What would I need a more power for; I rarely turn up the volume. I replied that was not the point. Then came the comment, “Oh it’s like owning three sports cars.” I said it was not the same, that I am replacing the other amps. I looked over to the right and he was just laughing.

In conclusion, that Music Fidelity Titan amp was the finest, best sounding piece of used audio equipment I have ever purchased. Even though my friend who referred me to the couple called to say they had additional pieces for sale, I don’t believe I will ever again make contact with the couple. It is always wise to avoid the unhinged.

She got right in my face, screaming how she owned half of everything there, and I would be dealing with her. I made the mistake of turning to look at the husband. “Don’t look at that turd, look at me!” I noticed my son slowly moving to the door urging me to follow.

When dealing with the unhinged you need to make a quick deal or walk.

I figured if he sat the glass down and reached for the gun I would take his crazy ass out in a heartbeat. Nothing occurred; we all stood up and headed for the garage.

this is by far the most funny post I've read.. thanks for sharing... I couldn't stop laughing... hope those couple are still alive to fight till this day!! What a bargain you got!

hilarious!!

A good song finds me even during my sleep.

Thank God for my aging ears. I now can filter out blah blah blah and tune in blue blue blue...

I only have two comments:

What a story - sounds like a Tarantino movie.

I'm envious - that's one of my dream amps (not that I'd ever have the room or speakers suitable for it).

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

That was indeed one mighty funny storry. All sorts of funny included.

Hope you wont mind if I side up with you son on it :)

I even checked that amp online. Dont think I'll ever buy such one. It's not a matter of funds, anyone who can buy a new car or an apt in a western land can also put 20K in an amp. I just wont feel that I received my money worth. And did listen to a very similar monster once. Not impressed.

Or maybe. Maybe if I had X millions _above_ the tens I'll need to satisfy my other more or less shallow wishes :)

Anyway, super story. And super thread, wish I had anything worth sharing here.

When it comes to audio equipment, my son came to the firm opinion that I had truly lost my sense of reality when I purchased a slightly used Music Fidelity Titan Amp. For over 20 years I have generally had an enjoyable experience while purchasing used audio equipment. Around two and a half years ago was the exception.

We drove down to this posh neighborhood in Hollywood, Florida. The middle aged couple had converted their 4 car garage into a listening room filled with more high end audio equipment than the average small audio retail store. I mean at one end he had surround system of Focal Grande Utopia speakers with four 3 way Utopia speakers, center channel, and two large sub-woofers. An array of Boulder 2000 series amps, and what appeared to be a Krell surround processor with a good 12 foot wide projection screen. At the other end was a pair of Rockport Altair speakers with the Titan amp, a Boulder 2000 series preamp, Boulder phono preamp, some brand of expensive turntable with dual tone arms, a dcs Puuccini CD/SACD player with the U-Clock. Against the long side wall was a long modular metal rack with at least 12 different components I did not have the opportunity to identify. The Titan amp was being replaced with a huge Boulder amp. We listened to several tracks off various SACD’s, and then I connected my MacBook to the U-Clock. After more than 40 minutes of listening, I decided to purchase the Titan amp. I must say those Altair speakers sounded impressive.

The man was a little odd with some quirky mannerisms and hard to read. He was holding out for almost what he paid for the amp. Then a loud bang as the door to the room shot open. The wife entered looking like a creature from a science fiction movie; her head covered with giant curlers wearing a shiny full length gold lame robe, a deep tan, bright red dyed hair, and smeared, glow in the dark pink lipstick, with these shiny gold sandals studded with pink rhinestones and pink feathers. A sight which caused me to blink twice and drop my jaw.

When dealing with the unhinged you need to make a quick deal or walk. I offered $15,000, she countered with $16,500. I said, “Sold.” That created a 5 minute shouting and cursing match between the two. Anyway, the woman demanded cash, in new uncirculated one hundred dollar bills. Only new bills, to quote: “god only knows who has touched used money.”

Then I wanted the two bases. Four inch thick slabs of maple stained a cherry color with Stillpoint 5 feet. We settled on $500 extra.

Of course I did not have that much cash in my handbag which took an hour long trip to the bank. My son reminded me several times how I had finally lost it, and that everything there was probably stolen goods. Once we returned the couple had the manual and the original purchase receipt and delivery receipt (the amp was only 4.5 months old).

We all sat in the living room while the woman counted the money twice, neatly placing the bills in stacks of ten on the coffee table. I watched the husband open a new 1.75 liter bottle of Remy Martin Louis XIII Cognac and pour himself a full glass, then started stirring it with a giant cigar. I mean that is like a $6000 dollar bottle of liquor. He had a big smile as he started sipping and rolling the cigar between his lips and sat on the sofa across from us. I noticed sitting on the side table, by his right hand was a silver revolver. That gave me some concern. So I arose and sat right next to the man and politely said, “nice cognac.” He smiled and replied, “my favorite.” I figured if he sat the glass down and reached for the gun I would take his crazy ass out in a heartbeat. Nothing occurred; we all stood up and headed for the garage.

Once again the couple had a 15 minute shouting and cursing bout while the husband removed acoustic panels and disarmed the alarm off the one garage door. I backed my Cayenne up to the door as the husband disappeared around the side of the house and returned with an electric fork lift, the kind you walk behind. This crazy audiophile actually had a fork lift to move his equipment!!! And my son thinks I have lost it.

The Titan is two large units, the amp at 100 pounds, and power supply at 150 pounds. We needed to stop and rent a hand truck to get the amplifier into the house. On the ride home my son, knowing my strange audiophile tendencies, decided to test my logic for making such a purchase by mentioning I already had two amplifiers what would I need a third one for. I explained always wanting a powerful mega-amp and finding one for half price was irresistible. What would I need a more power for; I rarely turn up the volume. I replied that was not the point. Then came the comment, “Oh it’s like owning three sports cars.” I said it was not the same, that I am replacing the other amps. I looked over to the right and he was just laughing.

In conclusion, that Music Fidelity Titan amp was the finest, best sounding piece of used audio equipment I have ever purchased. Even though my friend who referred me to the couple called to say they had additional pieces for sale, I don’t believe I will ever again make contact with the couple. It is always wise to avoid the unhinged.

In your defense, Daphne, your experience includes not one but two individuals with extreme mental illness that I dare say out classes yours - past, present & future; not to mention a marital condition that is... problematic. Thornton Melon said "If you want to look thin, you hang out with fat people." In that spirit, these folks actually made you "the sane guy". Thanks for sharing such a great story.