IGNORED

Has newer technology surpassed the Naim DAC in sound quality?

Yes.

IMHO Dac's such as the PS Audio Direct Stream and Lampazotor surpass the Naim.

The caveat here is finding exactly what suits your tastes.

I have been trying for ages to get a comparison of a top of the line Lampi to my cadre of DAC's but haven't so far succeeded. However I have been assured its in the mould of my personal favourite DAC, a Killer which is a very well executed DAC based on those old Phillips double crown chips - although they are getting hard to get and it sometimes uses a single crown if they sound better than what's available when its built - which I believe mine is. It is the exact opposite of the Direct Stream - which while not what I would describe as analytical like the MSB is in the detail mould.

When fed into a very revealing system the Direct Stream simply has jaw dropping speed and detail - very awe inspiring. Does it sound real and convincing to me - no - but still very impressive and some people when they hear it pull out their cheque book immediately.

Dac's like the Lampizator and Killer are entirely different. They tend to grow on you with prat that brings an unconscious smile to your face and simply sounding real.

Which is better - that entirely depends on your ears - I am pretty sure you can guess my preference. You must hear both to make up your mind.

Another DAC that has impressed me is an upgraded Oppo. I have one and am really enjoying it - its in the Direct Stream mould - and depending on how transparent your system is is close to very close to the Direct Stream - it lacks the drop dead speed - but you need a good system to show it. Its connectivity is simply amazing.

Anyway IMHO newer DAC's will upgrade the Naim but you need to audition to decide what suits you best.

Thanks

Bill