IGNORED

A+ Users: What OS are you using?

vk80

What OS are you using?  

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yosemite 10.10.2 seed (developer program, like living dangerously ;) ).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I stick to Mavericks because running Trim Enabler is fraught with issues on Yosemite.

Though running TM on Yosemite is not without risk, my own experience has been (un)remarkably smooth.

Yes, I have backups. :)

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Though running TM on Yosemite is not without risk, my own experience has been (un)remarkably smooth.

Yes, I have backups. :)

What I don't like with the idea of running TM on Yosemite is that a system backup will not boot on a different machine as the EFI will reject it. I strongly dislike this because it means that, if my Macbook dies or is stolen, restoring my system to a brand-new Macbook is going to be a painful operation.

What I don't like with the idea of running TM on Yosemite is that a system backup will not boot on a different machine as the EFI will reject it. I strongly dislike this because it means that, if my Macbook dies or is stolen, restoring my system to a brand-new Macbook is going to be a painful operation.

A good thing to point out to anyone who may be considering the question. I personally would be too happy with the idea of a new computer to be concerned. (I know how Pollyanna-ish this seems, but I really do feel this way.)

Tried Mavericks and Yosemite on external drives and deleted again. The ever advancing clutter and iOSification is definitely not for me. I wish someone would come up with a Pro OS, something that can be ‘extremely’ stripped down if desired. Just my 10.85 cents really.

hello.png

I wish someone would come up with a Pro OS, something that can be ‘extremely’ stripped down if desired. Just my 10.85 cents really.
Since I have to use my main computer for professional work occasionally (video, audio, photo) and since I always keep the same OS for all my computers I am still on 10.9.5 (many pro-softwares need quite some time to securly support new OS').

For music listening I've stripped down OS X 10.9.5 on my Macbook Pro on a second partitition to only run 48 services while listening to Audirvana. Runs at 2-4% CPU load, below 280 threads and depending on the albums I listen to at max. 2 - 2.5GB (of totally 8GB) RAM. So what you are looking for is actually very well doable with 10.9...

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

Server OSs are usually able to be run quite stripped down, without any GUI if one wants. But I haven't tried OS X Server.

There is also Darwin, but I don't think one could be at all certain of having what's needed to run software players like A+.