IGNORED

The best DAC you never heard is now a production reality

I look forward to the reviews .Is it a Schiit stack or as good as those 5-15k dacs?

If I can be accused of adding to the incredible hype already out there, the impressions that came back from CANJAM 2015 ranged from 'I didnt hear anything that wowed me' to 'This meets the hype and then some'. When you consider that the main hypemeister ranks this above any s-d DAC he has heard from anyone - Berkeley, Bricasti, Auralic, Lampizator etc - you have to wonder if the people making that statement have the same frame of reference. The thing that really irks me about this whole Schiitfest is NOT that I dont believe Mike Moffatt is a gifted engineer and a man with a mission - I completely get that - it's that the man who has heard more DACs than most of us hasnt been given an opportunity to compare Yggdrasil with the best of 'the rest'. Chris, I'm sorry man, but you really need to step up here - you've worn your heart on your sleeve with at least 2 DACs that I'm aware of and both cost considerably more than the Yggy. Please put the rest of us out of our misery.

(Please note that I'm not disparaging anyone else's DAC here - nor am I taking potshots at Schiit - its just time we heard from someone who spends a lot of time listening to some gear that most of us will never even get to see in our lifetimes)

Just one more headphone and I know I can kick this nasty little habit !

If I can be accused of adding to the incredible hype already out there, the impressions that came back from CANJAM 2015 ranged from 'I didnt hear anything that wowed me' to 'This meets the hype and then some'. When you consider that the main hypemeister ranks this above any s-d DAC he has heard from anyone - Berkeley, Bricasti, Auralic, Lampizator etc - you have to wonder if the people making that statement have the same frame of reference. The thing that really irks me about this whole Schiitfest is NOT that I dont believe Mike Moffatt is a gifted engineer and a man with a mission - I completely get that - it's that the man who has heard more DACs than most of us hasnt been given an opportunity to compare Yggdrasil with the best of 'the rest'. Chris, I'm sorry man, but you really need to step up here - you've worn your heart on your sleeve with at least 2 DACs that I'm aware of and both cost considerably more than the Yggy. Please put the rest of us out of our misery.

(Please note that I'm not disparaging anyone else's DAC here - nor am I taking potshots at Schiit - its just time we heard from someone who spends a lot of time listening to some gear that most of us will never even get to see in our lifetimes)

Meh, it doesn't do DSD. LoL

That's pre-ringing.

OMG, audiophile nerd jokes! :)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Meh, it doesn't do DSD. LoL

I cant remember if you're in the pro-DSD camp or not - personally, I would be thrilled to hear the best I can get from my Redbook collection, which is the claim being made by the chief hypemeister at HF, but each to their own.

I cant remember if you're in the pro-DSD camp or not - personally, I would be thrilled to hear the best I can get from my Redbook collection, which is the claim being made by the chief hypemeister at HF, but each to their own.

I like em both, but have a special love for DSD....especially my Chipless DSD. Upsampling RBCD to high rate DSD with HQP to a quality DSD Dac is da bomb. That doesnt mean I dont enjoy quality PCM on my Lampi too. I like em all.

I was only teasing about the Yggy hype...no idea what it sounds like, but admire the fact that it uses big torrids and choke rectification like my Lampi.

I was only teasing about the Yggy hype...no idea what it sounds like, but admire the fact that it uses big torrids and choke rectification like my Lampi.

Sorry Norman, Schiit does not use any cheap toroids--those are qulaliy EIs on the board. And I would hardly compare their choke-filtered supply with Lampi's choice of a possibly unreliable tube rectified supply. Yes, my motorcycle has two wheels like your bicycle, want to race?

I'm just having some fun with you. Know you are edgy while your REGEN is lost in the mail somewhere. ;)

Still no response from Mr Connaker. Arguably one of the most eagerly awaited products of 2015 - if only by me - and the Computer Audiophile seemingly has no interest in it. Such is life.

I will offer that I'm not entirely sure how a non-high-res DAC (or one with suspect capabilities) will fare with the technorati (Yggy is 20-bit, innit?).

Yes, it's 20bit, rather than 24bit or 32bit, but hey DACs in 1992 were also 20bit.

I'm curious if this PCM DAC manages to deliver at least 16-17bit worth of THD+N.

Exactly. And any dac fed from a great server sound much better as well

Sure.

Interestingly though I heard a DAC with a 'magical' SPDIF cable Keith Eichman makes that outperformed USB. Strange. The person that made the DAC is going to do some research into it.

Thanks

Bill

I have a cable from Imperical audio.

A coax it's ugly as sin but works like magic. It seems most cables do not match the imp spec. It's what he claims. And shows it ona scope as well. Optical seems better overall as the one does not really matter a cheap one is as good as 600 one most times.

Sorry Norman, Schiit does not use any cheap toroids--those are qulaliy EIs on the board. And I would hardly compare their choke-filtered supply with Lampi's choice of a possibly unreliable tube rectified supply. Yes, my motorcycle has two wheels like your bicycle, want to race?

I'm just having some fun with you. Know you are edgy while your REGEN is lost in the mail somewhere. ;)

Haw haw.

I just saw this. I bet my torroid can beat up your torroid. :-)

Well on the product page for it on the Schiit site, they link to a user review on Head hifi. The guy rated it the best DAC of about 20, some of them very expensive (like the PS Audio DS). On the other hand, he didn't like several DACs I do. FWIW...

Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why delta-sigma sucks)

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)