IGNORED

Pono to Play DSD "Sooner Than You Think"

• 1 month later...

It's out now. Wowee!

PonoPlayer Firmware Update Version 1.0.5

***ALERT: Because of a previous issue (that is fixed in this firmware version), please remove your microSD card prior to downloading and installing this latest firmware update. After downloading the firmware update, to install, please eject your PonoPlayer from your computer and unplug the Micro-USB cable from your PonoPlayer. ***

Watch the Firmware Update video for a walkthrough of the update process.

http://vimeo.com/111570190

Firmware Version 1.0.5 Release Notes:

Feature Enhancements & Bug Fixes

Added DSD playback capability

• Playback of DSD file utilizes the DSD mode of the player’s DAC. The data in the DSD file is presented directly to the DAC.

• Support for 2 channel DSD64 and DSD128 files

• Support for DFF file container (containing uncompressed data)

• Support for DSF file container including ID3 tags

Improvements to Audio file support

• Corrected “Scanning Music Library” issue for MP3 files that have malformed UTF-8 tags

• Added handling for truncated/malformed WAV files

• Added handling for AIFF files with invalid chunks (some HDTracks files had this issue)

• Added support for 32 bit WAV files

Improvements to USB mode and device management

• Fixed issue where the PonoPlayer drives weren't always detected if the player was asleep when plugged into a computer

• The screen rotation locks automatically while Music Transfer Mode is enabled

• Detect corrupted files that cause the “Scanning Music Library” issue and display a dialog with the filepath of the file to allow users to connect via USB and remove the file.
  • Detect if the internal storage is formatted to an unsupported filesystem or has filesystem errors that the player cannot repair. Display a dialog allowing the user to reformat the internal storage if this occurs.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Not a Pono owner but that sounds like an impressive update. They are certainly coming through for the Pono owners.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)+Schiit Freya>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

It's out now. Wowee!

PonoPlayer Firmware Update Version 1.0.5

***ALERT: Because of a previous issue (that is fixed in this firmware version), please remove your microSD card prior to downloading and installing this latest firmware update. After downloading the firmware update, to install, please eject your PonoPlayer from your computer and unplug the Micro-USB cable from your PonoPlayer. ***

Watch the Firmware Update video for a walkthrough of the update process.

http://vimeo.com/111570190

Firmware Version 1.0.5 Release Notes:

Feature Enhancements & Bug Fixes

Added DSD playback capability

• Playback of DSD file utilizes the DSD mode of the player’s DAC. The data in the DSD file is presented directly to the DAC.

• Support for 2 channel DSD64 and DSD128 files

• Support for DFF file container (containing uncompressed data)

• Support for DSF file container including ID3 tags

Let us know your findings on the new DSD playback of the Pono. I'm wondering how it will compare to other DACs with DSD in the $500 and under category sound-wise (iFi Nano, Geek Out 1000, Blue Coast UFO, iFi Micro).

Let us know your findings on the new DSD playback of the Pono. I'm wondering how it will compare to other DACs with DSD in the $500 and under category sound-wise (iFi Nano, Geek Out 1000, Blue Coast UFO, iFi Micro).

Listening to several DSD tracks from the Brothers in Arms SACD through Etymotic ER-4P IEMs and it sounds great. Haven't compared it to anything else, e.g., Geek Out.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical to EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> ISO Regen -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Listening to several DSD tracks from the Brothers in Arms SACD through Etymotic ER-4P IEMs and it sounds great. Haven't compared it to anything else, e.g., Geek Out.

Nice. Be sure to check out some of the free DSD Downloads on the web, if you haven't done so already. A good way to get started with DSD at no cost:

It sounds very very good to me, however I have nothing to compare it to save my MSB Analog DAC. Given that I have a fairly large collection of DSD files, I am quite happy for this enhancement. For me, the Pono is used to listen to at work, in the car plugged into the car stereo and that is it.

For what it is, and what it can do, it is fit for purpose, and the support for DSD playback allows me to add a large number of albums that I only have in DSD format onto my Pono. A big bonus for my girlfriend who lives listening to classical music at work on the Pono.

Barr

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Not trolling here, genuinely trying to understand. The DSD tracks from Brothers in Arms are on the SACD, right? Aren't they in 5.1 surround? I assume you ripped this using a hacked PS3, but I don't understand how the Pono is playing those 5.1 tracks.

Not trolling here, genuinely trying to understand. The DSD tracks from Brothers in Arms are on the SACD, right? Aren't they in 5.1 surround? I assume you ripped this using a hacked PS3, but I don't understand how the Pono is playing those 5.1 tracks.

I don't recall if the SACD had 5.1 as well (apparently it did?) but I have ordinary stereo DSF tracks.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical to EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> ISO Regen -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I don't recall if the SACD had 5.1 as well (apparently it did?) but I have ordinary stereo DSF tracks.

Yeah, I just looked up the SACD and it is billed as being 5.1. I'm a fan of the album and the band, and have been looking for good version of their albums.

Yeah, I just looked up the SACD and it is billed as being 5.1. I'm a fan of the album and the band, and have been looking for good version of their albums.

Shows up for me on the vendor's site as MFSL Stereo Hybrid SACD. (Looked at the disc itself, doesn't indicate either way, but believe me when it plays here it's normal stereo.)

I have 2 SACD versions of Brothers In Arms. The newer of the 2 is the Mobile Fidelity stereo hybrid edition. I have PS3 rips of both versions, including dsf stereo versions of each(the ISO file in the case of the non-MFSL remain multichannel).

Getting back on topic, I use the PonoPlayer with a Bose Quiet Comfort noise canceling headphone. I know, it's not exactly an audiophile setup but it works for me got listening on the commuter rail back and forth to work. I've tried listening with Audeze LCD-3 headphones with a Heimdall aftermarket headphone cable and have found that combination to be unlistenable. The Heimdall cables are absolute less ruthless in their unforgiving nature and they make listening through the PonoPlayer a less than enjoyable experience. On the other hand, listening to the Geek Out with the LCD-3's and the Heimdall is a near blissful experience. I've not tried the Geek Out and PonoPlayer head to head my experience has been so consistent that I don't even try the LCD-3's with the PoniOlayer anymore.

This is not to throw the PonoPlayer under the bus(or, in my case, under the train) because it works and sounds the best under the circumstances for which I purchased it(know of anybody who takes their high end cans on the train?).

I apologize if it sounds like damning the PonoPlayer with faint praise but, in my experience, the Pono does a wonderful job of conveying the beauty of DSD files while listening on the go.

If I had to make a single criticism of the PonoPlayer with DSD it would be that the DSD file sizes, especially for DSD128, are quite large, making it prohibitive to put too many DAsAd recordings on a 64 Gb usb chip(in truth, a long recognized issue with DSD and a fault of Pono's).

Esau