IGNORED

CAPS related queries from a novice!

hi

I have spent many hours over the last week trying to understand enough about building my own server. I currently run my laptop and external HDD into my DAC and would like a more permanent solution. I want to set up a NAS storage system and connect that to an audio specific server along the lines of the CAPS products. I have a couple of queries to start with. Firstly, I want to be able to feed a bitstream of HD video and audio also from ripped blurays to my AV Receiver. Would this totally negate benefits of trying to build a CAPS? I assume that the integrated processors used for audio may not be sufficient to also drive the video element? Would I need an added graphics card or diiferent motherboard than the one's listed under the CAPS section? I know this primarily an audio site and that is my first priority. But ideally I'd like to be able to watch and listen to my music blurays with the same approach.

Secondly, are there any cheaper alternatives to the SOtM? It's a bit expensive at this point bearing in mind I need to kit myself out with a Synology NAS first. But it would be useful to know if there are any value for money alternatives which would give a boost over the built in USB ports.

Lastly, what's the purpose of the SSD? It appears that most pull the data from the NAS so what is the SSD used for? Sorry for my ignorance.

I hope you can offer me some advice as I am struggling to take in all the wealth of information at the moment. Thanks

Jamie

Can't really comment on the first part of your question as I don't do any video.

Lastly, what's the purpose of the SSD? It appears that most pull the data from the NAS so what is the SSD used for? Sorry for my ignorance.

The SSD in a CAPS is usually reserved for the OS (e.g. Windows, Linux) plus a few apps (in my case HQ Player). As such, the SSD can be rather small, 60 Gb or so. There are lots of discussions here on CA on SSD vs HDD, etc. so I am not going to venture into the advantages/disadvantages.

The one problem with video is that it generally suggests a separate graphics card and that both requires more space in the case and it often includes noisy fans for the graphics board (and may also necessitate a larger power sup[ply). That being said, many of the "gamer" graphics cards are overkill for just HD video and you may find a smaller one (or sufficient graphics power on your motherboard) to avoid these issues.

Good luck!

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

The one problem with video is that it generally suggests a separate graphics card and that both requires more space in the case and it often includes noisy fans for the graphics board (and may also necessitate a larger power sup[ply). That being said, many of the "gamer" graphics cards are overkill for just HD video and you may find a smaller one (or sufficient graphics power on your motherboard) to avoid these issues.

Good luck!

thanks, that was my fear! I only need to stream the codecs to an AV processor which would do the decoding so don't know if that means I can get away with with onboard graphics. I notice that the motherboards mentioned include HDMI outputs but does that mean it would be capable of outputting a digital stream?

Eric, thanks for your response about SSD.

cheers

You can get the i7 processor instead of the Xeon used in CAPS v4 build plus suitable MoBo with HDMI out.

Or better still - wait a few months till the new Intel Broadwell CPUs are out:

Intel 5th gen core broadwell launch ces 2015

They will run cooler and will have much improved video performance. No separate graphics card necessary.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

hi

...are there any cheaper alternatives to the SOtM? It's a bit expensive at this point...are any value for money alternatives which would give a boost over the built in USB ports.

Jamie

I've been running a CAPS v3 Topanga for a while now. I was considering the SOtM and a power supply upgrade. Ultimately, I decided to go a different route. If the main problem with USB is that it carries noisy power from the computer's motherboard to the DAC, then why not address this from outside the computer? I.e., do we really care that much about the computer's power supply at all? Here's what I tried:

I bought an iFi iUSB Power conditioner ($199US). I removed my CAPS server from the dedicated 20A circuit feeding my DAC and Main Amplifier, and plugged it into another circuit. I inserted the iFi iUSB conditioner (CAPS -> USB Cable -> iUSB -> USB Cable -> DAC) and plugged it into the dedicated 20A circuit with the other audio components.

The results were rather startling in my system. Total cost $199.

Regards

CAPS v3 Topanga / JRiver MC21 | iFi iUSB Power | Woo Audio WDS-1 DAC

Odyssey Khartago Extreme | Magnepan 1.7s

Dedicated 20A circuit; Hubbell HBL5362I Receptacles; Shunyata Venom Defender Power Conditioner; Shunyata Venom Power Cables; Belkin Gold USB Cable; Kimber Hero WBT Interconnects; Anti-Cable Speaker Cables

Thanks for sharing.

Power issue can be easily solved by inserting SOtM or Jcat card. The latter proved to be much better in my system (AFAIK ted_b also replaced his SOtM USB card with the Jcat one).

The Jcat USB card can be run without the outboard PSU - in which case, the +5V power is filtered by an onboard, super low noise regulator. Alternatively, you can supply a clean power from an outboard PSU, like the Teddy Pardo one I'm using.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3