IGNORED

Screen Share Auto-Scrolling Driving Me Crazy!

darascal

I'm using screen sharing on my MacBook to control my Headless Mini, as well as iMac. Works great with one utterly annoying exception - since the screen on my iMac (and I guess you'd say the "virtual" desktop on my Mini) is bigger than my MacBook screen, I have to scroll the Screen Sharing window to get to the entire desktop. No problem there. But when I move the mouse pointer to the outer edges of the screen, the Screen Sharing window automatically scrolls. I guess this is normal behavior, but this totally drives me crazy! I feel like I totally lose control of the screen.

Does anyone know how to turn this auto-scrolling feature off?

Thanks,

Russell

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

B: Airport Express = > Benchmark DAC1 => Rega Brio-R => B&W DM 601 S2

C: Airport Express => AudioEngine A2

Thanks, Chris. Yes, tried that, unfortunately it makes things too small to read. Just want that freakin' auto-scroll feature turned off. This is make me shop for another VNC program. I've got Chicken of the VNC, though I really do not like it's slow screen refresh (tried turning Performance all the way to "Update as often as possible", but it hardly seems to make a difference), and its little dot-as-mouse-pointer. Though slightly less annoying than having my entire screen suddenly scroll out of control.

Any other VNC programs that come recommended?

Thanks,

Russell

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

B: Airport Express = > Benchmark DAC1 => Rega Brio-R => B&W DM 601 S2

C: Airport Express => AudioEngine A2

This may be extreme, but you can just manually change the resolution on the iMac (yes it will look fuzzy as the non-native display) to the resolution closest to the Macbook.

When I use logmein.com (i.e., via firefox) it allows one to adjust the host's resolution to better match the remote client screen size. This is a crude version of that I suppose, done it a few times.

Timbuktu allows you to turn off auto-scroll, in which case the remote control window has conventional scroll arrows instead of shrinking the display to fit.

There's a 30-day free trial of Timbuktu, but after that it's a whopping $180.

I bet you can find Timbuktu cheap on eBay. The current version is 8.7. If you find 8.5 or 8.6, the upgrade to 8.7 is only $10 or $5, respectively.

http://www.netopia.com/software/products/tb2/mac/

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Hi Guys - A reader from Sweden just sent me the following email which may help solve this issue.

"Actually, the best VNC viewer out there is probably JollyFastVNC. You can

use secure login (using SSH-server in Mac) without need of forwarding

SSH-ports manually. Just let the app do its job.

Regarding scrolling. It seems like you want to use a high resolution on

the Mini (why?) but still be able to not scroll around. JollyFastVNC gives

you a couple of options and there's the possibility to use perspective zoom

instead. Give it a shot!

VineServer + JollyFastVNC is a great combination.

Vine offers more advanced transfer settings which really help on slow

connections - Jolly is able to match all of them.

Don't forget, if you decrease your resolution to a more VNCable one, say

800x600 then you will be able to use whichever program you like, even

though I still prefer Jolly.

Good luck!

Cheers / C.

(Sweden) "

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 1 year later...