IGNORED

Small subwoofer?

Hi,

Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent-ish but small (ideally no more than 6"/10cm per side for a cube) subwoofer? For various reasons, I need to fit a pre-/power amp (my old and too loved to sell Naim NAC42 and NAP110), a Squeezebox and the sub on a wall mounted shelf. The speakers are Orb Audio's, orbs. This is kitchen/dinner music, so (as you can see) not super high end. It obviously needs to connect to the speaker outputs of the NAP110....

Any ideas?

Marc

"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions"

Wait; you want to place a sub...on a shelf?

Source: Rotel RDV-1092 / Win8 PC

Preamp: Schiit SYS

Dac: MHDT Labs Pagoda & Oritek Audio OMZ dac v4.1

Amp: Bryston BHA-1 & Project Ember & Project Polaris

Cans: Audeze LCD2 Rev 2F / Grado 325 + more

Connects: Analysis Plus Oval One & Blue Jeans Coaxial

Cables: Silver Dragon v3 / Norne Audio Vanquish series / Canare L4E6S

How to get the most out of a small sub:

1) Place the sub on the floor in a corner (optimally two in opposing corners).

2) Use an active sub, where all components are optimized.

3) Use sub with active bass reflex monitors that fit the sub.

4) Use DSP to enhance linearity and better

5) Choose the biggest small sub that you can fit.

Examples:

(And yes, I have a soft spot for Genelec)

Genelec G Ones + F One sub

Genelec 8020As + 7050B sub

Genelec 8330As + 7350a sub (Solution with build in DSP)

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

Hi,

Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent-ish but small (ideally no more than 6"/10cm per side for a cube) subwoofer? For various reasons, I need to fit a pre-/power amp (my old and too loved to sell Naim NAC42 and NAP110), a Squeezebox and the sub on a wall mounted shelf. The speakers are Orb Audio's, orbs. This is kitchen/dinner music, so (as you can see) not super high end. It obviously needs to connect to the speaker outputs of the NAP110....

Any ideas?

Marc

I wouldn't... Small subs just can't hit as hard or low. 6" is woofer territory. True subs are 10" and bigger

Computer >> Pioneer VSX 520 >> PSB Imagine B

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate that the question fell into the "dumb" category and that a sub (as I have connected to s couple of systems) is typically placed "unobtrusively" in a corner (or wherever). In this case it is to support two orb speakers in a kitchen and my wife won't entertain a "revolting" sub anywhere.

I think my best solution is to find better speakers!

"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions"

If you restricted with size of sabwoofer you can experiment with its placement.

Also need fit sub (cut frequency, transient band, level) to main speakers. It's non trivial task even for usual room and placement.

For your case improving of sound is not guaranted. But it will interesting experiment.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

Hi,

Any ideas?

Marc

This is DIY territory and it can ABSOLUTELY be done and hit like a mule with some of the new BMR subwoofer technology. But you would need to built it into the shelf. If it's a free mounting wall shelf, it's an easy project. I did one for a friend who needed one for his soundbar to sit on. We used two 4.5" BMRs facing down to take advantage of boundary gain off of the mounting wall. Hit a solid 38hz at over 90db cleanly. Net volume of the enclosure in the shelf was .5 cuft.

• 9 months later...

I don't know your sub.

But I understand there to be two main ways to hook it up.

Low level - RCA connections through your preamp. (If you don't have two pairs of RCA outputs, you could use RCA adapters - that turn one output pair into two). (Some subs recommend this option).

High level outputs

(A) connect your speaker cables to the sub and run speaker cables to your main speakers. (This was suggested by Gallo for my 2.1 set up).

(B) run two sets of speaker cables from your amp: one to your main speakers, another set to your sub.

This last option is what I do. I am very happy with it. But it may not be the best option or your DAC.

You may get great advice here, but it's probably best to contact your manufacturer.

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos