IGNORED

Acute Ipaditis - is it bad?

Holy cow.

In my household, we already have 3 iPads for me and my wife (to be fair, one being a work one). Nevertheless I just went out and bought an iPad Mini 2 with 64GB for me on top.

I wanted a mini since I first saw one, so cute. And since the mini 3 just came out and basically offered no new features with the exception of the fingerprint sensor, I finally pulled the trigger on the nicely discounted mini2.

Primary use will be watching videos during frequent air travel, but I'm also typing this post on it. I'm not interested in an iPhone 6plus, as I like the size of my Iphone5 much more for phone use, but as a mobile tablet the size is really ideal.

I'm looking forward to the rumored 13" iPad.

I'm looking forward to the rumored iPod Touch Plus (same size as iPhone 6 Plus).

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

Primary use will be watching videos during frequent air travel, but I'm also typing this post on it. I'm not interested in an iPhone 6plus, as I like the size of my Iphone5 much more for phone use, but as a mobile tablet the size is really ideal.

have you tried listening to music on it? via lightning > CCK > DAC output?

Mainly the iTunes Store and the internal player, for all other cases Azul.

I found the easiest way to transfer the movie to iPad is using Air Video HD (wirelessly), but I don't have control over quality, because software

automatically reduces resolution. When watching at home through Air Video HD Server the resolution is not modified (BitPerfect :))

I found the easiest way to transfer the movie to iPad is using Air Video HD (wirelessly), but I don't have control over quality, because software

automatically reduces resolution. When watching at home through Air Video HD Server the resolution is not modified (BitPerfect :))

I suppose several apps do the trick. I purchased Azul some years ago, and it just works, so I've never though about switching.

have you tried listening to music on it? via lightning > CCK > DAC output?

While traveling, I actually usually just go with AAC256 files and the internal player, given background noise etc. Sounds pretty ok via my B&W C5.

I was thinking of getting one of those cute mobile DACs and a better mobile headphone, but I'm already carrying so much stuff while travelling (laptop, 2 ipads, iphone, sometimes a Kindle, the corresponding amount of chargers) that I'm hesitant.

Plus, I don't have a lightning CCC, only for my old Ipad3.

While traveling, I actually usually just go with AAC256 files and the internal player, given background noise etc. Sounds pretty ok via my B&W C5.

I was thinking of getting one of those cute mobile DACs and a better mobile headphone, but I'm already carrying so much stuff while travelling (laptop, 2 ipads, iphone, sometimes a Kindle, the corresponding amount of chargers) that I'm hesitant.

Plus, I don't have a lightning CCC, only for my old Ipad3.

you may be surprised at how well an iPad can work as part of a music-on-the-go music chain.

cheap way to find out if it can work for you (and have some fun along the way):

1) buy/download Onkyo HF Player (OHF player - $9.99) app from the app store or through Safari.

2) sync iPad to PC >> click on Apps tab >> slide down until you see File Sharing window on left >> select OHF Player >> click Add to add some decent CD rips and/or high-res files from computer into right window (HF Player Docs) >> click Sync button = music files goes into iPad.

3) buy a lightning lightning-to-USB camera adaptor (formerly/also known as Camera Connection Kit - $29.00) from an apple store = short cable with a lightning plug on one end + USB A female receptacle on the other.

4) go to a headphone store.

5) pick a headphone (or use what you have) + a portable DAC. iFi iDSD Nano/Micro or Chord Hugo or Aurender Flow would work… and these may also serve you as a home DAC.

6) plug in >> launch OHF player to play your files >> listen.

* fair warning: it can get expensive if you like what you hear *

if it does not turn you on, no real loss = OHF player is a pretty good sounding alternate player for iPad >> headphone listening. CCK can also be used to transfer videos/photos from SD cards to iPad.

when not lugging mbp around, the iPad (OHF player) >> portable DAC >> headphones rig rocks my world with (relatively) high quality music playback net surfing.

BTW, if you do not do high-res, the OHF Player download is *free*.

cheers.

you may be surprised at how well an iPad can work as part of a music-on-the-go music chain.

cheap way to find out if it can work for you (and have some fun along the way):

1) buy/download Onkyo HF Player (OHF player - $9.99) app from the app store or through Safari.

2) sync iPad to PC >> click on Apps tab >> slide down until you see File Sharing window on left >> select OHF Player >> click Add to add some decent CD rips and/or high-res files from computer into right window (HF Player Docs) >> click Sync button = music files goes into iPad.

3) buy a lightning lightning-to-USB camera adaptor (formerly/also known as Camera Connection Kit - $29.00) from an apple store = short cable with a lightning plug on one end + USB A female receptacle on the other.

4) go to a headphone store.

5) pick a headphone (or use what you have) + a portable DAC. iFi iDSD Nano/Micro or Chord Hugo or Aurender Flow would work… and these may also serve you as a home DAC.

6) plug in >> launch OHF player to play your files >> listen.

* fair warning: it can get expensive if you like what you hear *

if it does not turn you on, no real loss = OHF player is a pretty good sounding alternate player for iPad >> headphone listening. CCK can also be used to transfer videos/photos from SD cards to iPad.

when not lugging mbp around, the iPad (OHF player) >> portable DAC >> headphones rig rocks my world with (relatively) high quality music playback net surfing.

BTW, if you do not do high-res, the OHF Player download is *free*.

cheers.

Already tried the Onkyo player at some point. However, on the portable DAC side, I wonder why nobody is selling any DAC with a CCC integrated, it just feels like too many cables.

I don't doubt that and I'm even somehow tempted to also try the Ifi nano in my main system as my Exposure DAC doesn't do DSD.

Let's see, I'll probably end up getting it eventually.

Here is another iteration of that setup. Worked great!

iPhone 6+ Gemini.jpg

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Already tried the Onkyo player at some point. However, on the portable DAC side, I wonder why nobody is selling any DAC with a CCC integrated, it just feels like too many cables.

Geek Stream is slated to have an integrated Lightning connector/CCK. Do I have even the beginning of a clue when mine will ship? No, I do not.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

Geek Stream is slated to have an integrated Lightning connector/CCK. Do I have even the beginning of a clue when mine will ship? No, I do not.

glad to see another Geek Stream customer here! no clue when mine ships either, but with femto clocks and IEM tuning I am excited for it's arrival.

it sounded stellar at RMAF.

integrated lightning connector/CCK?

indiegogo: "...we've designed Geek Stream to be compatible with iOS (with Apple Camera Kit), Android & USB 2.0 audio class compatible devices."