IGNORED

CarbonCopyCloner 3.0.1

Finally updated my CCC which I use as the main tool for my backups (kept off site) to the latest version. Didn't really like the fact that they kind of forced me as The previous version wasn't working on Yosemite.

But in the end, $20 (upgrade) for a piece of software that saves me from potentially losing all my valuable digital content seemed ok, and overall the new interface is much clearer than the old one.

I can certainly recommend this to everyone for their backup solutions.

Yes, any good backup software is a good idea. Making sure that you use a bootable backup drive is important too. I use SuperDuper! and it's the best $27 I've ever spent. Free upgrades too and it does everything I could really want to backup my MBAir.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

The new CCC is just GREAT! Three clicks and your all set. And it (in my setting) does several backup tasks in the background, once a week ;). Love it. ;)

Yes, any good backup software is a good idea. Making sure that you use a bootable backup drive is important too. I use SuperDuper! and it's the best $27 I've ever spent. Free upgrades too and it does everything I could really want to backup my MBAir.
yes, agreed. SuperDuper = cool. works for me too.

Last time I checked SuperDuper did not replicate the recovery partition. This is why after many years using SD I switched to CCC.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Last time I checked SuperDuper did not replicate the recovery partition. This is why after many years using SD I switched to CCC.

Also worth mentioning is Chronosync, which I use to replicate the music drive I rip and download to to my music mini drive (over the network). I also use it to back up directories (CCC really only does disk images).

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

I am looking for a off site backup, so this is of interest to me.

In the past, I have always been disappointed in the time it takes to make backups. One backup service took over a month to get all of my data.

Does CCC restrict bandwidth at all? My tested upload speed is 1Mbit/s. My download speed is 20Mbit/s. That is the fastest throughput I can get in my location.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

I don't know the exact answer. However, when my Mini crashed I literally restored it from the backup and that was years ago at this point. Even when I switched from the 2.5HD to an SSD I used it. Perfect there too.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

I am looking for a off site backup, so this is of interest to me.

In the past, I have always been disappointed in the time it takes to make backups. One backup service took over a month to get all of my data.

Does CCC restrict bandwidth at all? My tested upload speed is 1Mbit/s. My download speed is 20Mbit/s. That is the fastest throughput I can get in my location.

CCC is not meant for online backups but for physical backups to another disc, that I them keep off site in the office.

No chance in hell I'll backup nearly 4TB via the web.

CCC is not meant for online backups but for physical backups to another disc, that I them keep off site in the office.

No chance in hell I'll backup nearly 4TB via the web.

Ah.., I see.

I currently use Prosoft Engineering Data Backup 3. It is automatically set to do incremental version BUPS daily on one volume of a partitioned HD and a monthly Bootable Clone on another volume. And of course, RAID provides another level of protection as well, as does Time Machine.

But I realize off site is necessary. Maybe, that will be my New Year's resolution. So do you rotate hard drives? I'm curious about a routine that works.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

Not any more, since 3.0 you can select directories.

Ah well, didn't know...

system pics

I don't know the exact answer. However, when my Mini crashed I literally restored it from the backup and that was years ago at this point. Even when I switched from the 2.5HD to an SSD I used it. Perfect there too.

Correct. But when you restore from the backup, you wipe out the recovery partition. I don't like this for a laptop - I might be caught off guard in the field with no way to recover. With CCC you will be able to recreate the recovery partition when you restore from the backup.

system pics

Thanks for the heads-up about the update, but I am a bit confused by your titling of the thread. I already have version 3.5.7 and upon launch (it has been a while--bad BU habits), it prompts me for upgrade/purchase of 4.0.

I also have a license to SuperDuper (for many years). His support is excellent, but I must say there are some circumstances where CCC will work and SD will not. (Don't ask me the specifics; it is always when I am in the middle of some sort of project and trying to clone a bootable OS to another drive--sometimes an SDHC card.) And sometimes SuperDuper does not like/recognize certain external volumes (either local or network).

I am a bit confused by your titling of the thread. I already have version 3.5.7 and upon launch (it has been a while--bad BU habits), it prompts me for upgrade/purchase of 4.0.
same here. used 3.5.7 for quite some time and am now on 4.0.3 ... ?

Anyway ... I am a heavy user of CCC and it never let me down. Also have Super Duper somewhere ... but for me personally it never worked as supposed to (except for creating image disks). CCC seems to be 100% reliable... at least by now it is on my system(s).

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream (NAA) | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Pro Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | Pro-Ject Stereo Box S | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

Finally updated my CCC which I use as the main tool for my backups (kept off site) to the latest version. Didn't really like the fact that they kind of forced me as The previous version wasn't working on Yosemite.

But in the end, $20 (upgrade) for a piece of software that saves me from potentially losing all my valuable digital content seemed ok, and overall the new interface is much clearer than the old one.

I can certainly recommend this to everyone for their backup solutions.

Yep. I use it too and considering the time and effort put into getting files on disk, 20 bucks is pretty cheap.

2012 MacMini 8G ram -> Audirvana + 3.0 -> Mcintosh MHA 100> Nordost > Audeze LCD X