Hi folks,

I'm currently shopping around for a new mid-priced DAC (up to $3,000) that will hopefully last me the next 5 years.

i just saw the Wadia di122 (Wadia di122 digital audio decoder) at a local store (selling for around $1,500) yesterday, and will be listening to it this weekend. I've looked around online, but haven't been able to find a full review. Has anyone here checked it out before? I'm not that familiar with the brand and their products.

It looks interesting because it can handle up to DSD128, DXD384, and PCM 32/384, which seems to cover everything one could need for the next few years.

I'm currently using a Chord Hugo in my main system, which I'm going to now use as my mobile headphone DAC/Amp.

I've been reading a lot about the PS Audio Directstream here, but it's a tad above my budget.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Art

Artifex

Searching for Good Sounds in China!

I have the Wadia 121 DAC with LPS, and I now own the Di122 and I am very happy with this new unit. Even without a LPS I find it better sounding all around than the 121 with its LPS. Everything from the Sound stage to the frequency extremes have improved.

Right now I am playing PCM music upsampled to 2xDSD via DoP and DSD music in native format (1x or 2x) and have not had a single issue with the DAC. Remember if you are installing the driver on Win8 or 2012, turn on compatibility mode and you will have no issues.

I have ALWAYS been a fan of Wadia players and their signature/house sound. I always wanted to purchase one of the players, but could not afford them.

Good luck and enjoy listening.

Dear dtb300,

Thanks for your views on the Wadia di122! Certainly specs-wise the item looks pretty good, which is why I plan to audition it this weekend. However, it's odd that there aren't any reviews about it on the Internet, which is why I was asking around here.

Art

Artifex

Searching for Good Sounds in China!

My guess is since they have been acquired by Fine Sounds (McIntosh, Sonus Faber, Audio Research, etc.) they are still getting settled in for sales force, distribution, etc. In my area the authorized stores have changed a few times over the past year and now there is just one in my area (DC) and the next closest is NYC as authorized dealers.

I chose the Di122 as it does DSD (up to 2x) where the more expensive (and older model) 321 only does 192, but has far more digital inputs.

Hi folks,

I'm currently shopping around for a new mid-priced DAC (up to $3,000) that will hopefully last me the next 5 years.

There are a lot of choices under $3,000 - including the Lampizator Amber DAC at $1,995 and the upcoming Simaudio Moon New 280D for $2,200. Check the DSD Database for a complete list of the DACs that have DSD playback in that price range.

http://www.dsd.sonore.us

• 6 months later...

Gents, Im also considering a new DAC with pre section. So im considering Wadia 122, 321 and Mcintosh D100 which i can get with good discounts (1,5k, 3k, 2k) respectively. Also Im not fear of W4S Dac 2 ВЫВ used or Mytek 192 dac...

SO My system now is Matrix X-Sabre - Bryston 4Bsst2 - PMC twenty 22. So I need dac with pre section.

So the question and the trade of is: whther 122 is significantly more inferior to 321 and D100 as a pre? Or should I better go to analouge pre like Bryston BP26 (+ power) for $3K and later get some DAC w/o any pre function.

So how is the pre fucntion of 321,122, D100 comparing to dadicated Pre considering my rest system?

Thanks

My guess is since they have been acquired by Fine Sounds (McIntosh, Sonus Faber, Audio Research, etc.) they are still getting settled in for sales force, distribution, etc. In my area the authorized stores have changed a few times over the past year and now there is just one in my area (DC) and the next closest is NYC as authorized dealers.

I chose the Di122 as it does DSD (up to 2x) where the more expensive (and older model) 321 only does 192, but has far more digital inputs.

From what I heard is that many some brands have gone downhill since being bought by Fine Sounds. More focus on cost effective less focus on sound.

[br]

From what I heard is that many some brands have gone downhill since being bought by Fine Sounds. More focus on cost effective less focus on sound.

That may be true, hard to say unless you work for Wadia :) Wadia was always known for excellent quality and sound, but a high $$$ tag came along with it. The 121 then 122 carried a price tag that most could now afford.

But the change from the Wadia 121 to the Di122 was a definite improvement in all areas - so this brand/model did take an up-swing. I never listened to the 321 as I did not need all those inputs, and wanted DSD support too. Too bad the 122 does not go beyond 2xDSD, but it a very satisfying DAC otherwise.

I have the Wadia 121 DAC with LPS, and I now own the Di122 and I am very happy with this new unit. Even without a LPS I find it better sounding all around than the 121 with its LPS. Everything from the Sound stage to the frequency extremes have improved.

Right now I am playing PCM music upsampled to 2xDSD via DoP and DSD music in native format (1x or 2x) and have not had a single issue with the DAC. Remember if you are installing the driver on Win8 or 2012, turn on compatibility mode and you will have no issues.

I have ALWAYS been a fan of Wadia players and their signature/house sound. I always wanted to purchase one of the players, but could not afford them.

Good luck and enjoy listening.

Dtb300, have you tried Mcintosh d100 comparing to 122? And another q is what time is burining in for 122? Does it changed the sound and if so how?

Thanks

Dtb300, have you tried Mcintosh d100 comparing to 122? And another q is what time is burining in for 122? Does it changed the sound and if so how?

Thanks

no I never have heard or tried the MAC.

Out of the box the Di122 sounded better then the "broke in 121" with LPS. How did the 122 change over time? Hard to say as to do a proper comparison, I would need a new 122 to compare against. Otherwise did the component "really" change or did we get use to the sound?

Gents, Im also considering a new DAC with pre section. So im considering Wadia 122, 321 and Mcintosh D100 which i can get with good discounts (1,5k, 3k, 2k) respectively. Also Im not fear of W4S Dac 2 ВЫВ used or Mytek 192 dac...

SO My system now is Matrix X-Sabre - Bryston 4Bsst2 - PMC twenty 22. So I need dac with pre section.

So the question and the trade of is: whther 122 is significantly more inferior to 321 and D100 as a pre? Or should I better go to analouge pre like Bryston BP26 (+ power) for $3K and later get some DAC w/o any pre function.

So how is the pre fucntion of 321,122, D100 comparing to dadicated Pre considering my rest system?

Thanks

I heard the D100 last week and although good, it didn't have me reaching for my credit card, the reviewer in the article below much preferred the older MCD1000 model but prefers the AMR DP777 over both:

DAC Shootout Part Deux: Ayre, AMR, Luxman, McIntosh - AudioAficionado.org