IGNORED

Pono Music Store online and out of beta according to report

Pono Music Download Store Goes Online | http://www.twice.com

Still appears in beta to me.

Can any other non-Pono-owners get in?

Still beta for me, too. I read elsewhere that they would open the store to the public this week, concurrent with CES.

I want to know how I can order a blue one like that appearing in Audiostream

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

Prices for these 16/44 downloads seem ridiculous, often being at least twice as much as buying the CD off Amazon.

So far the most ridiculous that I have seen has been $42 for a collection that I can get for $9.

I did a quick comparo. Peter Gabriel 3 (the melt album) Pono DL $14.29, Amazon CD $10.69; Pattry Griffin "Flaming Red" Pono DL $9.29 Amazon CD $9.70. The 24 bit stuff seems identically priced to HDTracks (so much for competition- I guess this is Lowes v. Home Depot).

I guess it pays to compare with the CD-res stuff. I'd like to think that Pono will expand the 24 bit offerings compared to HDT. Regardless, I plan to buy some titles from Pono - I really want them to succeed.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

I suppose that might be why buying downloads directly from the artist, when available, is often the cheaper option - though that is typically the expensive option if you're buying physical media like CDs or Vinyl.

I don't mind paying a full $15 for a CD bought at a concert. I figure it's essentially tipping a good performance (I assume that the label is either giving the artist the CD or, at least, at cost, ie, about $1).

Anyhow, I was wondering how often you're able to buy directly from the artist. I think I've only done this, maybe 3 times: George Harrison, Cat Power and Sam Phillips. Can I trouble you to list some artists whose music is available direct?

Have you looked? I would guess that a good percentage of living musical artists who maintain active websites sell their CD's/downloads directly.

Oops, I should have explicitly asked for artists that sell DLs. Yes, many will sell you a CD or, at least, direct you to iTunes (blech). I'm much more interested in DLs, especially hi-res.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought 2 albums a few days ago. There was some weird interaction btw PMW and JRMC but, otherwise, it went smoothly. I paid ~$30 for the 2, both 24 bit. One of them is NOT available at HDT.

I'm happy, so far, altho' they need to keep working on the search fxn and browsing capabilities (eg, search on 24 bit files).

Go Pono!