IGNORED

ConvoFS - room correction in the file system

That's thoroughly interesting, Michael. Coupled with a memory player and network share of the resulting files, this makes for a very, very interesting setup indeed as storage is affordable nowadays.

It doesn't do multi-room and so far, I'm fine with that (likely to change in the future).

However, I am looking for multi-channel. Does it cater for it?

No multi-channel support, and unlikely to appear, I'm a two channel guy :)

Read the linked article, so a cache is used in RAM?

Is there a way to use ConvoFS and save the resulting file on a disk somewhere instead or does that defeat the purpose of the VFS as you envisioned it?

Convolved music is cached internally on disk by ConvoFS. Information is stored about the setup at the time the file was cached. This means that if you disable DRC, another cache file will be created. If you re-enable it, the old cache file will still be valid unless - of course - it has been purged by the storage manager.

• 10 months later...

Just a short update to signal that this DRC project is alive, evolving and not a fire&forget proof of concept. The current Linux release still requires Linux skills and for easy installation, a Debian/Ubuntu based system. I have a user running it on a Raspberry Pi 2 so it doesn't demand a very fast CPU. Now there's also an easy-to-install package for Intel based Synology NAS boxes. ConvoFS has been tested with MinimServer, Logitech LMS, AURALiC Lightning server and - what I'm currently mostly doing - with Roon mounting the convolved share directly from my NAS. The ConvoFS home page is still at http://www.aysabtu.dk/blog/convofs and it is and will remain open source software.

• 4 years later...
1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I know this sounds crazy, but I'm finally getting around to researching what I can do with ConvoFS. It seems really cool, especially on a QNAP.

I'm trying to install it on a QNAP but getting the following error message. I already have Container Station installed at running. I know this because I'm running a different Linux install from it right now :~)

@michaelg any ideas?

Error    2020/04/03    10:27:35    System    127.0.0.1    App Center    App Installation    [App Center] Failed to install ConvoFS3 3.2.3-517. You must first install and start Perl container-station.    

Hi, ConvoFS  is indeed supported on QNAP. You should check that the software package Perl is installed - it's the language that the startup-scripts are written it. ConvoFS itself run inside a container. Beware that the ConvoFS initial install will take up to about 15+ minutes -- it builds a small linux subsystem Docker image. Also, always use AppCenter if stopping/starting ConvoFS.

Most of the  ConvoFS users known to me are located in Germany, using  Synology NAS + MinimServer + ConvoFS w/Acourate filters a and use Linn streamers. 

- Michael

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

This sounds very interesting. I have gear that seems to qualify, QNAP 451+ NA with 8GB RAM, via wi-fi to an sMS-200. I will give ConvoFS a try, hopefully it's not too complex for an audiophile who is not computer savvy. 

It certainly should, yes. Remember to install / start the Perl and Container station packages  in advance. The initial install can take 10-15 minutes, as the installer builds a miniature Linux system inside a container. ConvoFS works good in combination with the Minim UPNP server, which I believe the sMS should able to access.

In case of problems, do contact me, either here / PM / the ConvoFS.net contact address.