IGNORED

Best portable Audio Player

I looked at the Sony NW ZX2, but didn't get a chance to listen to it. It's a snazzy device. (But priced too high for me.)

Anyone here know about the Cayin N6?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20151[/ATTACH]

Cayin is a Chinese brand. I had one of their tube power amps briefly, once (borrowed). It was nicely made and sounded OK, but didn't have the kind of specs that one would expect from a similar powered modern VTL or Prima Luna, or Audio Research. It was actually a pretty old-fashoioned design - like a Harman Kardon or Dynaco from the 1960's.

Doesn't mean that this isn't OK. But I think, that If I were going that route, I'd look into the HiFiMan players. They are better supported with an organization here in the USA than is Cayin which, I've only really seen for sale here directly from China via E-Bay.

George

Anyway. My advice is to listen carefully before buying a new iPod anything. I doubt seriously if any of them sound anywhere near as good as your AK Jr. :)

Obviously, that's sound advice (pun intended).

My understanding is that the new iPod touch has the same Cirrus chipset as the iPhone 6, which to my ears is a pretty decent sounding device. And I will evaluate it both with and without my new LH Labs Geek Out V2+ Infinity, which shipped today.

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

I can confirm that both the Pono Player and AK Jr. can use 128gig cards, for total storage capacity of 192 gigs.

The AK Jr. sounds almost as good as the Pono Player, and adds bluetooth (well, kinda; my experience using the AK Jr. and Noble BTS at the gym leaves a LOT to be desired).

It's also worth noting that both the Pono Player and AK Jr. have miserable user interfaces compared to any iOS device.

I'm strongly tempted to sell off my AK Jr. and go to a 128 gig iPod Touch.

bought a Jr = VFM. not exactly a AK240... but way more reasonably priced. and yes, (re)confirm 128GB micro SD compatibility.

preferred Jr’s SQ (to Sony NW-ZX2 and iPod Touch) via JHA Rox & Fitear 111s.

updated to firmware v1.02? album listing now alphabetical + better EQ.

cheers.