IGNORED

Crackling/popping sound when streaming from Synology NAS

In an effort to consolidaate the number of boxes, I recently purchased a Synology DS213J with 2 2TB WD Red HDD's in RAID setup. Te idea is to stream the audio files from the Synology to my Cambridge Audio 752BD for playback through my integrated amp. The 752BD is plugged into a power conditioner (Majik Buss) but the Synology only to a UPS. I'm using Minimserver on the Synology with no other packages (other than Java) installed and it is all connected with Ethernet.

My issue is that during playback (16/44 and high-res) I am noticing a sort of "rice krispies" sound in the background, ei.e. faint snapping/popping or crackling.

The 752BD does not have this when playing BR's, CD's or streaming video (Netflix et al).

Can anyone suggest possible sources for this noise?

I haven't tried using the Audio Station server package included with DSM because I had read the Minimserver was optimal. There are no configuration options that I can find for Minimserver or in the DSM Control Panel that might help with this issue.

In searching I have seen that similar comments have popped up on various forums (Minimserver, Synology) but no solution has been mentioned.

Any help much appreciated.

Tell us about the signal path. What ethernet cables (cat 6, cat 5, etc), any switches that are not gigabit, etc.

Also, make sure nothing else is being asked of the NAS at the time (kids streaming movies in the basement, etc). The only time I ever got crackles via DLNA was when I also had JRiver running (cuz I was a/bing them at the time). I stopped JRiver (who's library is also the NAS) on my music room pc and all was well.

Try Media Server instead. Report back. Thx

Tell us about the signal path. What ethernet cables (cat 6, cat 5, etc), any switches that are not gigabit, etc.

Also, make sure nothing else is being asked of the NAS at the time (kids streaming movies in the basement, etc). The only time I ever got crackles via DLNA was when I also had JRiver running (cuz I was a/bing them at the time). I stopped JRiver (who's library is also the NAS) on my music room pc and all was well.

Try Media Server instead. Report back. Thx

Hi Ted, I'm using Cat5E ethernet cable from the DL DIR 850L router to the Synology. I have the CA 752BD attached to the router (as well as an Xbox 360 and a Mini Neo-8H android tv box). There is a Trendnet TEG-550g powered gigabit switch in the path from the router, which the Synology and the laptop are connected to, as both are in a different room to the 752BD.

I have only Minimserver running on the NAS (no video, etc.), should I try using Media Server or Audio Station as both are offered in the DSM packages?

I am not aware if Audio Station app is a true DLNA server. Synology's apps are not well defined or differentiated, frankly. Audio Station says DLNA (as a throw in) but looks to be a web-based music player app. I stumbled on Media Server as a competitor to Minimserver for true raw (native via I2S) DSD server because Jesus (Sonore) told me.

I use Cat6 or 6A, but not sure that is your problem. Might be worth trying (if it's easy enough).

Also, how are you accessing these files? The CA should likely be set for DMR (as a renderer). If so, what control point are you using (ipad or phone browsing app)?

I'll try Media Server, is this a different software from the one in the DSM packages?

I checked the 752's manual and it seems that because I had been pulling up the files directly via the 752's network interface (although I also have BubbleUPnP installed on my phone) it's classified as a DMP vs. a DMR. It only acts as a DMR via a control point app

Could that be the issue?

I'll change both the server software and try just using the Bubble app tonight to see if I get any issues.

I can also change all the cables to cat6, if you think that's beneficial. I'll have to buy a 20-footer for the NAS to router connection but, hey, it's Boxing Week sale time here in Canada! :)

Yes, Media Server is a bundled app.

synology apps.jpg

Try BubbleUPNP and having Cambridge as DMR. If no solution, then try switching Minimserver to Media Server (tell Media Server your file locations). Then, worst case, go buy Cat 6 cabling.

Also try the NAS without the UPS. And hardwired with good (does not mean expensive) quality ethernet cable. Are there any light dimmers on the circuit? Any cables running near switching power supplies, neon light ballasts? Is your phone physically near your speakers or cables as it can cause interference when sending and receiving data.

And you can try a laptop as a controller instead of your phone, just to eliminate the phone being the issue.