IGNORED

Please eliminate direct marketing threads and posts!

mayhem13

Something in particular?

Forums are discussions. Marketing is marketing. It's not permitted on other Forums and shouldn't be permitted here either.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Regardless of particular instances, I agree that there's historically been tension between the information- and hobby-sharing functions of the forum, and forum members who design/sell stuff.

I'd personally hate to miss out on some of the good information provided by these members, and would therefore like to see a forum topic for posts that arguably are commercial in nature. People engaging in discussions under this topic would be forewarned that it was a "marketing permitted" zone. At the same time, self-government and moderation of arguably commercial posts under the non-commercial topics could become more strict.

I don't know how easy or difficult this would be for Chris to implement, but if it's something that's reasonably doable, that would be my suggestion for a solution.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Forums are discussions. Marketing is marketing. It's not permitted on other Forums and shouldn't be permitted here either.

There are some forums that do permit marketing, or discussions with a strong marketing element. One of my favorite Head-Fi threads is an example - informative, entertaining, and a big advertisement for a manufacturer: Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

So it is done on at least some audiophile forums, and it's something many folks seem to like. Note that this thread is on one of Head-Fi's "special forums," which is something I suggested for Computer Audiophile in my previous post.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

You mean JRiver? Is that the example referred to in the OP?

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

I don't know what is the motivation for the OP and if it is related to me or someone else. But here's my view for discussion.

I try to not bring in too much about my player software, unless someone asks or specifically talks about it. I hope everybody anyway know how I'm related to it also based on my signature here. I think it's a good practice that Chris demands that such affiliations are stated on the signature. I personally wish there would be more companies participating in discussion of their products, since they have best information and motivations behind their choices.

I feel I can more freely talk about my DSC1 DAC design which is under CERN Open Hardware License and I don't get any money from it, although design is badged with my company name and hosted on the same web page (hosting provider), in a way kind of "sponsored" by my company.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

^ LOL. Relax. I'm sure he wasn't referring to you! Your cool. I always find you very objective :)

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Now where do I buy your DAC? Hahahaha..

Regardless of particular instances, I agree that there's historically been tension between the information- and hobby-sharing functions of the forum, and forum members who design/sell stuff.

The snipers of the sell stuff already won the battle there is no more tension:)

Nah... The "battle" is far from over. Everything is still in beta ...

It would be a great loss for this site to lose your and say Johns Swenson's or PeterSt's postings.

I don't know what is the motivation for the OP and if it is related to me or someone else. But here's my view for discussion.

I try to not bring in too much about my player software, unless someone asks or specifically talks about it. I hope everybody anyway know how I'm related to it also based on my signature here. I think it's a good practice that Chris demands that such affiliations are stated on the signature. I personally wish there would be more companies participating in discussion of their products, since they have best information and motivations behind their choices.

I feel I can more freely talk about my DSC1 DAC design which is under CERN Open Hardware License and I don't get any money from it, although design is badged with my company name and hosted on the same web page (hosting provider), in a way kind of "sponsored" by my company.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

^ lol.

I've been a member for over 5 years and have never felt any adverse pressure to purchase anything.

I'm with Jud and Forrest, a lot of valuable information and education is provided by members such as Miska, Barry and Peter St etc. Even though a good deal of what they write goes over my head I appreciate their input and have learnt a lot from them.

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

I agree with my predecessors, I've barely seen any threads that were pure marketing. And in any case, as long as the author clearly states the potential conflict of interest in the signature, I think we are all educated enough to make a difference between pure marketing claims and valuable contribution.

To Mayhem: any particular threads in mind?

I agree with my predecessors, I've barely seen any threads that were pure marketing. And in any case, as long as the author clearly states the potential conflict of interest in the signature, I think we are all educated enough to make a difference between pure marketing claims and valuable contribution.

To Mayhem: any particular threads in mind?

+1 .. I've been a member here for 6 yrs. and rarely felt that someone overstepped. Mayhem, an example please.

A separate business section where there is one thread per business, which I believe was discussed before.

It is one of the things I like about the site where there is not too much blatant marketing. The most blatant is from some of the double dipping paid-for articles. :)

I don't know how easy or difficult this would be for Chris to implement, but if it's something that's reasonably doable, that would be my suggestion for a solution.

Jud,

Chris is aware of these issues and ideas and said he was going to do something. But that was quite a while ago and I haven't noticed any change what-so-ever.

Do you see any sticky/pinned threads on forum behavior rules/guidelines ? Moderator guidelines ? Manufacturer posting policy ? How to do common posting actions, like images ?

Not me. That kind of stuff is not on the Terms of Service or the FAQS pages either... It is MIA.

This place is strictly amateur hour :(

Quote Originally Posted by Musicophile View Post

"I agree with my predecessors, I've barely seen any threads that were pure marketing. And in any case, as long as the author clearly states the potential conflict of interest in the signature, I think we are all educated enough to make a difference between pure marketing claims and valuable contribution."

Melvin:

"To Mayhem: any particular threads in mind?

+1 .. I've been a member here for 6 yrs. and rarely felt that someone overstepped. Mayhem, an example please."

+2

I also find Miska, John, St Peter and others VERY informative and I am VERY aware of their status. It is in their sig so all are aware.

Daudio, I do not find CA "This place is strictly amateur hour". I think Chris does a great job and find that he allows a very open forum compared to some others that can be draconian in nature (AC).

While what Jud suggests might sound as a solution, I personal like that we have a open give and take on all the threads vs having to search between an OEM only threads and the for everyone else threads. That is one of the things I do NOT like about AC.

mayhem, I am also curious what thread/s you have in mind?

Just my 2 cents.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

Quote Originally Posted by Musicophile View Post

"I agree with my predecessors, I've barely seen any threads that were pure marketing. And in any case, as long as the author clearly states the potential conflict of interest in the signature, I think we are all educated enough to make a difference between pure marketing claims and valuable contribution."

Melvin:

"To Mayhem: any particular threads in mind?

+1 .. I've been a member here for 6 yrs. and rarely felt that someone overstepped. Mayhem, an example please."

+2

I also find Miska, John, St Peter and others VERY informative and I am VERY aware of their status. It is in their sig so all are aware.

Daudio, I do not find CA "This place is strictly amateur hour". I think Chris does a great job and find that he allows a very open forum compared to some others that can be draconian in nature (AC).

While what Jud suggests might sound as a solution, I personal like that we have a open give and take on all the threads vs having to search between an OEM only threads and the for everyone else threads. That is one of the things I do NOT like about AC.

mayhem, I am also curious what thread/s you have in mind?

Just my 2 cents.

For your 2 cents....UpTone Audio and Alex and John's recent infomercial style of posting. They're currently marketing products under development here within the context of forum discussion over and over again. The shared experiences of others read no better than late night television ads for diet pills and exercise routines without the before and after pictures.......just the ramblings of cultist type followers. It's shameful and it hurts the credibility of this forum and the hobby.

Nothing personal......but it needed to be said. But you knew this already by simply referencing them in your reply prior to me establishing any examples.

Barry on the other hand conducts himself with respect for his craft and simply expresses his own personal experiences with a clear disclaimer that your own may be different. His product is purely subjective in that it based in the enjoyment of a performance........that's an entirely different animal than UpTone and similiar electronics firms.

For your 2 cents....UpTone Audio and Alex and John's recent infomercial style of posting. They're currently marketing products under development here within the context of forum discussion over and over again. The shared experiences of others read no better than late night television ads for diet pills and exercise routines without the before and after pictures.......just the ramblings of cultist type followers. It's shameful and it hurts the credibility of this forum and the hobby.

Nothing personal......but it needed to be said. But you knew this already by simply referencing them in your reply prior to me establishing any examples.

Barry on the other hand conducts himself with respect for his craft and simply expresses his own personal experiences with a clear disclaimer that your own may be different. His product is purely subjective in that it based in the enjoyment of a performance........that's an entirely different animal than UpTone and similiar electronics firms.

Let me get this straight. You want the posts written by Alex and John to be "eliminated" because they happen to sell audio hardware that solves problems that many of us here at CA are facing with our computer audio setups?

That's like saying if you are a doctor and specialize in treating certain kinds of conditions, you should NOT be permitted to enter an online forum and engage in discussions with people who are suffering from the exact conditions that you are an expert in treating.

That ludicrous!

I think you are in the minority here if you feel that Alex and John's posts are not legitimate discussions that contain extremely valuable information. I don't know Alex or John personally, but what I do know is they've both invested tens of thousands of hours over decades learning about electronics and have figured out how to solve certain issues in computer audio. They've done the heaving lifting for many of us here in CA. Whether they sell products or not, I want to hear from them anytime they have something valuable to share. And when they do include a mention of a product they are developing... I want to know about that too.

Bottom line... I think it would be a TREMENDOUS disservice to the CA community if smart people like Alex and John were not permitted to share their knowledge and experience with the rest of us.

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

Alex and John are two of the few posters that give this forum any credibility. Fact.

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

http://mqnplayer.blogspot.co.uk/