IGNORED

New streamers from Aurender!

Hyperion

The N100 should be at CES this coming week, along with other products shown on the Aurender website.

Our first shipment of N100s is due to arrive in about a week.

Brian Walsh

Analog Expert / Showroom Manager

Music Direct

Yes, these new streamers have full cover art and meta data compatibility from a NAS.

The software is being updated to provide this capability to other models such as the X100 and W20 as well.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

I hope this software update will be available for all Aurender devices and not just for N10/100 devices exclusively.

Yes, absolutely. I have had the beta software on the X100L and W20 here for some time.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

When will they permit cover art on that OLED display. As simple as this may appear, I love this aspect of Audirvana on my MBP.

A valid question, although trying to see that from across the room would be difficult at best. The text screen of the song name, etc. tends to be the most preferable, although the new firmware about to be released also enables the VU meter display (blue or amber) instead.

The iPad app displays the cover art quite nicely.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

I would much rather have album cover art than a completely useless blue or yellow VU meter!

Although it will not be large in size, it likely would be very similar in size to Audirvana, Sony, PS3 Audio display.

Nothing would force one to keep album art displayed as one could change to the VP meter or text only display. That's the beauty of at least offering it.

The VU meter display was an easy transfer over from the S10 and W20. I rarely use it, but it's there. Displaying album covers could be provided if enough Aurender owners requested it.

One other option is to turn off the display during playback.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

Likely early days but can you tell us the primary difference between the N10 and 100? Is it the of addition the 1Tb SSD? (Which is a very desirable option to me)

Thanks

WDW

If you'll pardon my jumping in to answer, the N10 will be in a case similar to the S10 and will offer a range of digital outputs: USB, coax, optical, AES/EBU, and BNC. These and other specifications may be found on the Aurender website.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

I'm told there is a N100S that will include a 1Tb SSD...this is the one that interests me the most....quiet and discrete...if your library is below that threshold (or swapped in and out to suit) it should be quite a little box of musical delight. Tired of pushing that ole mule, the Mac Mini, up the hill.

Wonder what price point this will land at?

WDW

I just got home from CES and met with the people from Aurender. The price on the N100S with 1TB SSD (in addition to the 120GB SSD for caching) is not yet firm, but I should know shortly.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

And that's the 120G model, right Brian? That's what I'm interested in, as I can't give up the NAS; but for the others...what's the 1T model run?

The 120GB SSD is for caching. The optional 1TB SSD for storage adds $500 to the price. Either model will work with your NAS.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

There is no any downside, if producer makes it possible to remove it or turn it off. I'm just saying that I'm one of those who likes minimalism. From All the servers you showed in your post, I doubt that any of them has the option of removing album art, to turn the display completely probably yes.

For example I have North Star Design Supremo DAC, and it has minimal info INPUT and SAMPLE RATE, but I cannot turn it off, and I like to listen music in the evening in complete dark.

Don't take it personally, I'm just saying that form me Aurender lineup is perfect the way it is now.

Agreed. Is viewing a stamp collection from 6 feet away of interest? As I said earlier, if enough people requested the feature they could do it, but so far very few have. Old timers like me remember the Osborne 1 luggable computer with its tiny 5" 52 column screen sold poorly because even from 2 feet away it could be hard to read.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

So the main difference between the N100 and X100 is whether your files reside on a NAS or on the internal HDD, right? Does one approach yield better sound than the other?

Jumping in...

Just spoke with a customer in the area today who's strongly considering both. In view of the fact that the 120GB SSD caching drive is used for holding the music in the playlist, the difference between music stored on NAS vs. local HDD should be minimal. Even when a track that's not in the playlist is added, it gets copied to the SSD before being played. I can demonstrate both for comparison.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

I'm not an Aurender user of Tidal; I think that Tidal integration is not yet available but I'd love to find out I'm wrong.

from rumours I've seen around here, I'm expecting post CES firmware update sometime in the next month or so, that will include external music service integration (Tidal ?, others ?) and will provide the X100 with the same NAS interface capability as the new N models (cover art and browsing etc).

but it's all guesswork on my part.

Your guesswork is accurate. All Aurender models will have Tidal streaming integration, accomplished by a firmware upgrade and an upgrade to the Conductor app on the iPad. All models also will be set up with the same NAS interface capability, enabling the user to browse music stored on the NAS the same way as on any internal storage. They're getting close. You will be very pleased with the upgrades.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

Brian,

Any known eta on this new NAS and Music services supporting software release? The Aurender website is lacking.

(I currently have system software version 4.1.65.)

Thanks

Kenreau

It's not lacking, it simply doesn't indicate availability, which I don't yet know. I'd just check for updates through the iPad app, which will involve both the system software and the Conductor (iPad) app.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

Hello Brian,

Do you have the pricing for the N100 with the 1TB SSD and dates for availability?

Cheers,

Warren

The N100 is $2499. From what I gather the 1TB SSD will add about $500.

I don't have a date yet but hope within a couple of weeks.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

Brian, not sure what the OP was referencing, but since he asked, are the new players the sonic equivalent of the X100L? I've heard one of those in a good system and was quite impressed.

JC

I cannot say just yet since the N100 was only on static display at CES but will find out as soon as they are delivered here.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

Brian,

Will Aurender's pending integration of Tidal include the ability to see both local files and Tidal catalog (in a single view) as Spotify does with its app? Similarly, will the search function in Aurender's app populate data from both local library and Tidal catalog?

Thanks.

You can toggle between browsing locally stored music and Tidal tracks, and playlists can show both, with Tidal tracks identified. The search function in each is separate.

I just got word overnight from Aurender that they anticipate shipping my N100 order later next week. Woohoo!

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

Yes you are correct . If I'm gonna pay 2500 bucks for the N100 it had better have music services integrated like the Aries has for Tidal

& Quboz .

If all I can do is AirPlay music services on the Aurender , I won't be buying one .Ever . AirPlay audio quality can be iffy .

Tidal music streaming is handled through the Aurender iPad app and is unrelated to AirPlay. The iPad app merely acts as a controller for the Aurender for Tidal streaming, not as a conduit for music coming from the iPad and going out through AirPlay. Tidal music tracks are added into playlists along with locally stored music (internal or NAS). It's obvious and intuitive when you see it in action.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

The N100 shipment arrived this morning. Here's a quick snapshot of the N100 along with the Exogal Comet DAC, which we'll be showing at AXPONA here in late April. Homebrew rack.

AurenderN100_ExogalComet.jpg

AurenderN100_ExogalComet.jpg

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

Well in order for AirPlay to work properly you have to be close to the device . It's different then being within wifi range which is a lot larger .

My main equipment is in one room . Racks of it . Speaker wiring is throughout the house and outside . I may want to listen to music way upstairs on speakers but the AirPlay device I'm controlling would be downstairs . This is not gonna work . Trust me .

Regarding use with AirPlay, Aurender told me, "The important thing is your iPad must have a good wifi signal. It doesn’t matter how far the iPad is from the device."

In other words any difficulty you may be having is unrelated to using an Aurender and everything to do with your wifi range. The Aurender's only network connection is through Ethernet.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

Well I have found with other Airplay devices and speakers that that is not the case . Well let's hear from some users .

It is communicating with your apple device somehow . If I'm 200 feet from the Aurender even though I have good wifi where I'm at , will it be able to switch up and play music from your device effectively ?

Why not? Again, the connection between iPad and Aurender is

iPad ---wifi---> router ---Ethernet---> Aurender

Pretty darn simple.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

• 3 weeks later...
There should be no difference in level when comparing digital transports. If there was one, then one of the transports had the digital attenuation applied - weird, and makes the whole comparo even more questionable.

I agree. According to mabe the levels can be adjusted in 0.1 dB steps, so it should be done. 0.5 dB is too big of a difference. Levels should be measured by a volt meter across the speaker terminals, not using a microphone.

Tubelover: The N100 is acquitting itself well. Performance differences between it and the X100 will be more related to the DAC and perhaps cabling. I am sure that over time some will claim one or the other is better, but keep these factors in mind as YMMV.

We will have the N100 and the X100L on demo in our room (554) at AXPONA here in April. At this time I am fairly certain Harry Lee and Sally Jeung of Aurender will be present at the show to support us. Our W20 will be on demonstration in the Bricasti Design room (422) as well.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct

Thanks, rwwjr44. I've heard no complaints about the brown color scheme of the app, so it's doubtful whether they will offer other choices such as gray or blue. Personally I find it tasteful and easy to live with, and it happens to blend very well with my demo rooms here. But I suppose if they get a lot of requests, they might offer another color scheme or two through the settings menu.

The app is very responsive. The whole thing just works, like a toaster. You just don't think about it, you just sit back and listen, the way it should be.

Brian Walsh

Music Direct