IGNORED

Auralic Aires: Optimizing sound quality

Putting a Jitterbug on the USB input side of my Aries Femto using a flash drive turned out to be a bad idea. Things got slightly more distorted, thinner sounding and less impactful. And at some point, the library disappeared altogether. Hmmmm

My guess is the flash, as it derives its power from the Aries, didnt like the reduced current. In a scenario where both ends have their own power like between the Aries and a DAC, this issue hasnt surfaced.

Just thought id share in case any one else had experienced this. Also to warn those considering a Jitterbug on the input side while using a flash drive.

Perhaps I have thrown $50 out the window :(

Putting a Jitterbug on the USB input side of my Aries Femto using a flash drive turned out to be a bad idea. Things got slightly more distorted, thinner sounding and less impactful. And at some point, the library disappeared altogether. Hmmmm

My guess is the flash, as it derives its power from the Aries, didnt like the reduced current. In a scenario where both ends have their own power like between the Aries and a DAC, this issue hasnt surfaced.

Just thought id share in case any one else had experienced this. Also to warn those considering a Jitterbug on the input side while using a flash drive.

Sold my Jitterbugs long ago as they did nothing .

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

• 3 weeks later...

I need to make a correction here. The distorted thinner sound described previously was a unrelated issue. Not the fault of the jitterbug. I fixed that issue and used the jitterbug once again on the USB input side of the Aries without problems.

That said, I dont have a firm opinion to whether it helps or not. If there is an improvement, its a very slight one.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

As I spend more time with the Aries (femto), I gain more insight about it.

The impression that comes to mind first is how different one hi-res album to another sounds. For instance, Supertramp COTC sounds fantastic! If all my hi-res sounded like this one, I wouldnt even bother thinking about adding a NAS. Sure, adding a NAS would probably move the needle a little higher still. But my main issue with the sound of the Aries, compared to my Rega CD transport is a greater digital signiture to the sound. It varies from seemingly not being there at all to being fairly obvious. It isnt there ever when listening to the Rega. Additionally, a heightened upper midrange emphasis. Again, how much its noticed varies. Given the variability, it may not be about the Aries at all but rather what those mastering engineering folks are doing to it.

Jim1961 are you saying your CD player sound quality is still better vs the Aries?

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

Jim1961 are you saying your CD player sound quality is still better vs the Aries?

Not across the board, no.

I have loaded 16 bit files into the Aries that are the same as those played on the CD player. Same DAC in both cases. So I can say with confidence that they present things very differently. That said, the Aries wins in most respects, but there a couple areas I like the CD player in.

Sound quality, instead of being one thing is many things. EQ, dynamics, soundstage, "air", detail, image location and size, and so on...

Funny you say that. Although I don't have an Aries yet, my wife and I keep going between my laptop, Intona, w4s recovery combo ans my cayin scd50t into a w4s dac2. One thing we both agree on is the cd usually has more air to it.

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable.