IGNORED

Macbook or Mac mini for digital front end?

I agree with you but once you configure a Mac Mini with 8GB and a SSD, there less than $500 difference in cost and the MacBook Pro is more versatile and will hold it's value better.

Not so much actually - a Macbook won't work with the cover closed for one thing, and is not meant to run 24x7 as a server. A Mac Mini does that just fine, with no overheating issues or battery bloat.

Also, most people don't bother with more than 4GB of RAM and use external disks to store the music. That saves more than a few dollars right there. SSD is way faster and physically quieter, but I think it is electrically a bit noisier myself.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

From what I've read here, to get the full potential, it's mandatory to install an SSD for running the OS only and using an external NAS or HDD on firewire or Thunderbolt (NOT USB). Also adding a Linear PS adds about $1k to the cost whereas in theory a MacBook running on battery should be even better. A current generation MacBook gets about 9hrs! Overheating is a non issue and I've never heard of 'battery bloat'?? I've had older MacBook Pros for work running 24x7 with no issues.

Well, I seriously dispute it is "mandatory" to use a SSD to get the the full sound potential out of a Mac, and doubly true if you are using an external DAC, which any serious audio person is going to be doing anyway.

Whether or not you add external storage on Firewire/Thunderbolt or on USB is very dependent upon how you have the DAC connected. If your have a Firewire DAC, then DO connect external storage by USB. If you happen to be using ethernet or optical connections to your DAC, then use USB, Firewire, Thunderbolt, or any combination thereof.

Truthfully, I do not think that adding a linear power supply to a Mac Mini does that much. You are in the last 2% of audio there. Most people find spending the money on speakers, amps, software, new DSD music releases, or other more conventional items to be a bigger bang for the buck. Yes, a LPS does make a difference, and if you are at the edge of the envelope, you can put one in and get smile on your face improvement.

But straight off the shelf, a $599 Mac Mini is going to sound very good indeed if you attach it up to a nice DAC and load A+, JRMC, or even just iTunes on it. No "mandatory" additions needed. It will in fact, sound better than any of the off the shelf PCs you will find at say, Best Buy.

I have two MacBooks at home that experienced Battery Bloat (the battery seriously expanded) and a MacBook Pro that was used for six months as a server. Didn't do any good at all for the battery to be in use constantly, and now the MacBook battery life is far far less. About 1.5 hours is all it will go.

Robert A. Heinlein

Sorry, why would you want to use a laptop with the cover closed? I've been using my MBP as a music server for two years. I put it to sleep when not listening to music, and disconnect the charger once a month to cycle the battery, but, otherwise, I keep the charger plugged in, and, basically, never shut it down. It doesn't get hot.

No question that the Mini is cheaper, but you need a separate monitor and keyboard, iPad, or iPhone to work it. You have to use wifi or bluetooth to control it remotely, which you don't need to do with a laptop.

I think most folks here would find it advantagous to spend $100 to double their RAM from 4GB to 8GB. And, although I upgraded my MBP to an SSD, I now run the OSX and apps off a $15 SDHC card and unboot the internal SSD drive entirely.

I use my Macbook Pro to control the mini, which is on the same network. Works great, and even better with an inexpensive thunderbolt video adapter. ;)

I guess it depends upon where your audio is, and whether having a screen there continously will bother you or not. It bothers me, so that is a big minus to me, especially because opening the lib on my MBP has me up and connected to the Mini in less than 60 seconds.

I think the SHDC card improves sound more than a LPS or SSD to be honest. YMMV!

Robert A. Heinlein

The new MBP don't have ethernet (you need a thunderbolt to ethernet adapter). Is that a consideration? I can still buy the older version that has ethernet.

It would not be to me, as the only network traffic would be the controller (iPad application), and so wireless would work well for me. Other folks feel that wireless connections will introduce noise into the mix. I can verify that BlueTooth keyboards and mice can put some noise in the audio, but I can't verify there is an effect from wireless connections from any modern Mac. They are pretty well shielded.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein