IGNORED

Macbook or Mac mini for digital front end?

Hi,

New to this so please bear with me...

Currently using an Apple TV to stream music to my system until I implement a capable music server. Most post here and other 'how-to's' recommend a modded Mac mini. Why is a Mac mini better than an equivalent spec'd MacBook Pro? What about a Macbook air? Is a Mac mini only superior once it's heavily modded (i.e. adding a Linear Power Supply).

I've read all the post I can find about modding the Mac mini but it seems to me that a MacBook on battery power would be equivalent (if not better).

I'm looking for something that I can repurpose once a year once technology moves on! Jeff Fritz over at SoundStage Ultra uses a MacBook Pro and streams to a router that's connected by Ethernet to his Devialet. This seems to counter what's usually recommended here??

Thanks for your help!

Not so much actually - a Macbook won't work with the cover closed for one thing, and is not meant to run 24x7 as a server. A Mac Mini does that just fine, with no overheating issues or battery bloat.

Also, most people don't bother with more than 4GB of RAM and use external disks to store the music. That saves more than a few dollars right there. SSD is way faster and physically quieter, but I think it is electrically a bit noisier myself.

-Paul

From what I've read here, to get the full potential, it's mandatory to install an SSD for running the OS only and using an external NAS or HDD on firewire or Thunderbolt (NOT USB). Also adding a Linear PS adds about $1k to the cost whereas in theory a MacBook running on battery should be even better. A current generation MacBook gets about 9hrs! Overheating is a non issue and I've never heard of 'battery bloat'?? I've had older MacBook Pros for work running 24x7 with no issues.