IGNORED

Macbook or Mac mini for digital front end?

Not so much actually - a Macbook won't work with the cover closed for one thing, and is not meant to run 24x7 as a server. A Mac Mini does that just fine, with no overheating issues or battery bloat.

Also, most people don't bother with more than 4GB of RAM and use external disks to store the music. That saves more than a few dollars right there. SSD is way faster and physically quieter, but I think it is electrically a bit noisier myself.

-Paul

Sorry, why would you want to use a laptop with the cover closed? I've been using my MBP as a music server for two years. I put it to sleep when not listening to music, and disconnect the charger once a month to cycle the battery, but, otherwise, I keep the charger plugged in, and, basically, never shut it down. It doesn't get hot.

No question that the Mini is cheaper, but you need a separate monitor and keyboard, iPad, or iPhone to work it. You have to use wifi or bluetooth to control it remotely, which you don't need to do with a laptop.

I think most folks here would find it advantagous to spend $100 to double their RAM from 4GB to 8GB. And, although I upgraded my MBP to an SSD, I now run the OSX and apps off a $15 SDHC card and unboot the internal SSD drive entirely.