IGNORED

MusicScope - Oscilloscope & reporting tool

Hey all,

I got another great news about MusicScope:

A vst-Plugin is now available in different versions :D

I tried the Windows - VST 2.4 (32 bit) version and it works fine with jRiver Media Center V20.

I had a discussion with Stephan from Xivero and he agreed, that vst-Plugins are not only interesting for professional DAW users but also for hifi enthusiasts, because you can include them in audio players, like e.g. foobar or jRiver.

I'm really happy with this new feature. By using it in jRiver I can now really combine my perfect listening experience with a highly professional visualisation.

Cheers

Matthias

Hey all,

I got another great news about MusicScope:

A vst-Plugin is now available in different versions :D

I tried the Windows - VST 2.4 (32 bit) version and it works fine with jRiver Media Center V20.

I had a discussion with Stephan from Xivero and he agreed, that vst-Plugins are not only interesting for professional DAW users but also for hifi enthusiasts, because you can include them in audio players, like e.g. foobar or jRiver.

I'm really happy with this new feature. By using it in jRiver I can now really combine my perfect listening experience with a highly professional visualisation.

Cheers

Matthias

Thanks Matthias. I will try it out. Same license?

• 3 weeks later...

I have recently purchased MusicScope and works like a charm on Mac OSX. However, besides the fact that I know what those all parameters displayed during the analysis mean more or less - is there any good tutorial about it? I mean what values we should expect from good, outstanding CD/High Res files and what are bad? I am talking especially about CREST, LRA and the stereo spectrum parts.

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

I have recently purchased MusicScope and works like a charm on Mac OSX. However, besides the fact that I know what those all parameters displayed during the analysis mean more or less - is there any good tutorial about it? I mean what values we should expect from good, outstanding CD/High Res files and what are bad? I am talking especially about CREST, LRA and the stereo spectrum parts.

https://www.xivero.com/musicscope-online-manual/

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

Thanks. I know this one, but it isn't so detailed and lack of examples (at least not too much)

+1

The interface looks great but I am unsure exactly what some of the data actually means. I can see immediately that it is a great tool for investigating whether your recent hi-res purchase is what you thought you were buying, but I am a little unsure of the rest.

I just used Musicscope to compare 2 different masters of So Far Away from the Dire Straits Brothers in Arms album, the crappy redbook layer on the 20th Anniverary SACD and the redbook layer of the MFSL remastered SACD. As expected, the history graph for the 20th Anniversay version shows recorded peak levels that are close to 0dB and a LOT of red peaks, whereas the MFSL version looks MUCH better. Now that's great, but if you don't count the actual "hearing" of both tracks - where it is very obvious, I already had 3rd party confirmation from the TT DR Offline meter (DR8 vs DR19) that one version was significantly better than the other.

I like to buy a lot of my music via download, I am sure Qobuz owes me some sort of VIP card :) This would be a great tool to analyse which mastering you are getting or in fact how well the recording is done, in real time before pulling the trigger.

I am sure there is much more info here that I could find very useful and it looks like a great base to improve upon.

+1

The interface looks great but I am unsure exactly what some of the data actually means. I can see immediately that it is a great tool for investigating whether your recent hi-res purchase is what you thought you were buying, but I am a little unsure of the rest.

I would like to see a small window popping up when you tick one of the items (like TPL, RMS, CREST, ...) and which briefly explains it.

You find some explanations on their website or in the PDF manual, but when you analyzed the track you maybe won't have it opened in another window.

One thing that does surprise me is the omission of a bit meter though. In theory you could add a little bit of noise at the bottom of a 24-bit file which makes it be detected as "24-bit" while bits 17-through-23 are empty for example.

iZotope Ozone's is a good example of this:

bit-meterptowu.png

Thanks for your post. I would definitely buy MusicScope if it included such a bit meter. I have been longing for one for quite some time, but iZotope Ozone is far too expensive for my use (I don't master anything - I just want to analyse files I buy).

Thanks for your post. I would definitely buy MusicScope if it included such a bit meter. I have been longing for one for quite some time, but iZotope Ozone is far too expensive for my use (I don't master anything - I just want to analyse files I buy).

Didn't I see in the manual that it includes a "BitMonitor"? Shouldn't that be that function?

https://www.xivero.com/musicscope-online-manual/

Many thanks: this is exactly what I am after. I'll get this tool then. I am anxious to see what results it is going to show on 24-bit releases such as Mark Knopfler's Privateering or Pharrel William's Girl.

Please report back on your experience, I'm pretty close to buying as well.

I'm not sure, if I understand your problem.

The VST plugin does not contain the complete Musicscope application. It just connects to a running Musicscope instance.

To get it running with jRiver, you basically have to

• install the plugin into jRiver
  • Start the normal Musicscope application
  • Start the VST-TCP/IP-Server in the Musicscope preferences menu (the little wheel in the upper right corner)
  • activate and start the VST plugin it in the DSP-Studio
  • press the 'Select' button in the Musicscope VST preferences.

If you now start an audio track in jRiver and set MusicScope into the play mode, it should work.

You find a step by step instruction here if you scroll down a little bit.

For jRiver you have to use the VST 2.4 plugin.

Be sure that no other DSP effects are enabled in the DSP studio, otherwise the audio signal might be modified severly ;-)

The VST plugin does not contain the complete Musicscope application. It just connects to a running Musicscope instance.

• Start the VST-TCP/IP-Server in the Musicscope preferences menu (the little wheel in the upper right corner)

If you now start an audio track in jRiver and set MusicScope into the play mode, it should work.

Be sure that no other DSP effects are enabled in the DSP studio, otherwise the audio signal might be modified severly ;-)

Hello, do you plan to extend MusicScope documentation with better explanation of each parameters, examples etc?

--

Krzysztof Maj

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just purchased this. Very well done. Maybe a bit expensive, but then again, the price of one highres download.

Indeed. BTW, new 1.3.8 version has -200dB mode to better see ultrasonic noise as well.

--

Krzysztof Maj

I bought MusicScope : powerful audio tools !

How to activate and start the VST plugin int the J River DSP-Studio ? The two files are copied in the two required directories. I can see them but can't select them (Manage Plug-Ins...>Add J River, VST or Winamp Plug In).

SE : OS X 10.9.5 / J River MC 20

Many thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Indeed! Useful, but still not so in-depth explaining prams like LUFS with Integrated Loudness and CREST factor. These are pretty important.

--

Krzysztof Maj