IGNORED

What do you do about all those LEDs?

Between my pre-amp, amp, DAC, USB to SPDIF converter, etc., etc., my room is all aglow with little red, blue and green LEDs. Seasonally festive...maybe but I prefer a listening room that is a bit darker. I was thinking about making a fabric "sock" to go over my equipment rack (I'd just have to be sure the remote works).

Does anyone have any other suggestions or thoughts on the above?

Nvidia ION running JRiver 21 on Win 7

- USB to Firestone Audio Bravo USB to SPDIF Converter. Optical to miniDSP NanoDigi eq/crossover. SPDIF to 2 Cambridge Audio DacMagics. Analogue to Audio Refinement Pre-5 to 2 M&K V-75 powered subwoofers & Audio Refinement Multi-2 power amp to Focal Chorus 716s.

- Intel NUC on Win 10 as JRiver 21 DLNA renderer. USB to Breeze Audio DU-U8 USB to SPDIF converter. SPDIF to Anthem MRX-520. Mirage OMD-5: left, right & surrounds. Mirage OMD-C1: center. SVS-SB-2000: subwoofer.

- Raspberry Pi2 with HifiBerry Dac+Pro on Volumio DLNA renderer to Rega Mira 3 to Dali Zensor 1s.

- Raspberry Pi2 with HifiBerry Dac+Standard on Volumio DLNA renderer to NAD 312 to PSB Alphas.

First, make sure you don't interfere with the egress of heat from the components.

Second, you would be surprised what a teeny tiny circular piece of black electrical tape can do. It doesn't have to cover the entire LED, just the bullseye which is the brightest part. This leaves the glow of the LED without being a directed light source - and it's cheap to try.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

Glad to hear I am not the only one that is driven slightly batty by all these lights. It is amazing how just one or two of these little lights can light up a whole room when all other lights are off. Especially a problem in the bedroom - our electronics are now in the closet - but even the one light from TV lights the room up. The tape solution does work to some extent but if you really do need all these lights supply a design so they can be covered up with a cap or something!

Sharpie or electrical tape.

Sharpie - Genious! Like the Whammo frisbee. It is a PITA cutting little circles and then applying them exactly where you want them.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Sharpie or electrical tape.

How does the equipment look when you have the lights (the room lights) on? Does it still look fine or does it then look like you took a sharpie you your hifi?

- USB to Firestone Audio Bravo USB to SPDIF Converter. Optical to miniDSP NanoDigi eq/crossover. SPDIF to 2 Cambridge Audio DacMagics. Analogue to Audio Refinement Pre-5 to 2 M&K V-75 powered subwoofers & Audio Refinement Multi-2 power amp to Focal Chorus 716s.

- Intel NUC on Win 10 as JRiver 21 DLNA renderer. USB to Breeze Audio DU-U8 USB to SPDIF converter. SPDIF to Anthem MRX-520. Mirage OMD-5: left, right & surrounds. Mirage OMD-C1: center. SVS-SB-2000: subwoofer.

- Raspberry Pi2 with HifiBerry Dac+Pro on Volumio DLNA renderer to Rega Mira 3 to Dali Zensor 1s.

- Raspberry Pi2 with HifiBerry Dac+Standard on Volumio DLNA renderer to NAD 312 to PSB Alphas.

How does the equipment look when you have the lights (the room lights) on? Does it still look fine or does it then look like you took a sharpie you your hifi?

Well it looks better than after that brilliant trick with the Dremmel :)

Ideally, little caps made on a 3D printer would be best - a future hobby...

After warranty, I desolder / disconnect them.

The very worse was the ugly green light on my Naim CD5, highlighting an ugly Naim Plastic Logo. I got written permission from Naim (through my Authorized Dealer) to disconnect them. I couldn't tolerate them for a 5 years warranty.

OTOH, my Naim Olive gear was left alone because the implementation of light to highlight the logo was done discreetly and tastefully and looked very classy.

I recently sold the CD5 and soldered everything back. Very easy to do if you have basic soldering skills.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

I use a black round Velcro "dot" of about 5/8 " diameter to cover the excessively bright blue light on the face of my LPS. Now, it is barely visible, just bright enough at close range for me tell that it is on. A package of ten costs about a dollar.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Between my pre-amp, amp, DAC, USB to SPDIF converter, etc., etc., my room is all aglow with little red, blue and green LEDs. Seasonally festive...maybe but I prefer a listening room that is a bit darker. I was thinking about making a fabric "sock" to go over my equipment rack (I'd just have to be sure the remote works).

Does anyone have any other suggestions or thoughts on the above?

This is what I use:

The LIGHTDIMS Store

Works great.

This is what I use:

The LIGHTDIMS Store

Works great.

Thanks - ordered a set this evening ++

This is what I use:

The LIGHTDIMS Store

Works great.

Those look good. Have you removed any of the dots from your gear? I'm curious if they leave much residue behind if I were to one day try and sell a piece of gear.

Those look good. Have you removed any of the dots from your gear? I'm curious if they leave much residue behind if I were to one day try and sell a piece of gear.

I have removed one or two of them to reposition them. No residue that I could tell and if it does leave anything, it would easily wipe off.

I ordered a sheet of the black and a sheet of the silver LightDims and they arrived last night. They work perfectly! You can still tell the the LED is on (which is nice so you have confirmation everything is set as it should be) but the LED doesn't project into the room. The dots are small enough I can hardly tell they are there when the room lights are on.

Thanks for the tip.