IGNORED

Article: PS Audio DirectStream DAC Review

ted_b

I just spoke to PS audio tech. He informed me the best sound you get from the DS stream is with a transport and not with the network bridge. So i am using transport with i2s option. I wish someone did a comparison with Rendu against the PS audio transport.

Music after life

I just spoke to PS audio tech. He informed me the best sound you get from the DS stream is with a transport and not with the network bridge. So i am using transport with i2s option. I wish someone did a comparison with Rendu against the PS audio transport.

Which transport you are using?

Years ago I have experienced sound in my system that interestingly I also described as "no-jitter" at the time. There is no way to compare it to anything, just music. Essentially unlimited dynamics and resolution of every note, absolute timing, PRAT and coherence, complete blackness, the dac had no sound of its own, every recording and instrument had a unique character and space. It wasn't smooth or sharp, warm or bright, it was just right in every way possible.

The interesting thing was that the setup was very inexpensive, XP computer with EMU 1212 pci soundcard feeding benchmark DAC1 via glass toslink. It was jaw dropping, to this day I don't know why this combination had this magic.

Glass toslink enabled you perfect isolation done in a simple way. To this day I wonder why audiophiles prefer the copper or silver connection inside SPDIF (or USB) that is prone to pass noise to the delicate DAC circuits...

Yeah, there are the downsides of glass toslink, maybe limited in resolution and fragile...

Just got my DS, hooked it up and started playing with my CAPS using USB for now, initial impressions....sound is pretty good, slightly better than Hugo as Ted has mentioned. I feel bass is little weaker than Hugo, I think someone else also reported similar experience (not good, if that is how it will be, do not like to see less of anything, then it becomes a toss-up).

Ted: What is your experience with bass between Hugo and DS. Does it improve with burn? Does it improve with Rendu? Thanks.

I haven't ordered Rendu yet.

Just got my DS, hooked it up and started playing with my CAPS using USB for now, initial impressions....sound is pretty good, slightly better than Hugo as Ted has mentioned. I feel bass is little weaker than Hugo, I think someone else also reported similar experience (not good, if that is how it will be, do not like to see less of anything, then it becomes a toss-up).

Ted: What is your experience with bass between Hugo and DS. Does it improve with burn? Does it improve with Rendu? Thanks.

I haven't ordered Rendu yet.

I have the hugo and DS stream. Give the DS some time it will improve significantly across the spectrum. The musical weight and vocals are excellent with DS stream. But yes Hugo does seem to have slightly tighter bass but as i break-in my DS (200 hours so far) the bass gets better.

Music after life

800 hours boys, 800 hours! Argh! And the bass never fully snapped in for me until the Rendu....yes, very weird and why I spent so much time explaining that in my review. Monday will be the two month anniversary of me scratching my head everyday. :)

The Hugo is a warmer presentation, and in comparison has an ever so slight midbass bump ("hump" descriptor would be too much). The break in of the DS is almost entirely timbre, IMHO, which brings midrange color and bass quantity, along with a tightness and tone in the lower frequencies too.

800 hours boys, 800 hours! Argh! And the bass never fully snapped in for me until the Rendu....yes, very weird and why I spent so much time explaining that in my review. Monday will be the two month anniversary of me scratching my head everyday. :)

The Hugo is a warmer presentation, and in comparison has an ever so slight midbass bump ("hump" descriptor would be too much). The break in of the DS is almost entirely timbre, IMHO, which brings midrange color and bass quantity, along with a tightness and tone in the lower frequencies too.

The hugo is warmer sounding? That is interesting i feel the DS stream has a very warm tube like sound versus hugo is closer to solid state sound

Music after life

Interesting Ajay. That's what makes the world go 'round I guess. :) Yes, I my system the Hugo is warmer, but now with the SSR and I2S the DS is warm enough for my tastes, with wonderful timbre, delicacy, solidity of images and ridiculous (but not "under a microscope") detail.

So I just installed the new firmware, called Pikes Peak (Paul is clling these "OS upgrades" and giving them, going forward, the names of Colorado's tall fourteeners, the first being Pike's Peak). Since the OS upgrade causes the clock to lose power for a few minutes I am not going to seriously listen until tomorrow...BUT.....first impressions are quite amazing on the DSD format side. Where previously DSD was tame and slightly less dynamic, it is now MUCH more lively, clear and dynamic, both macro and micro. Orchestral swells, plucked basses and all things guitar are much more real and in-the-room sounding. Yet I don't feel I moved from row 20 to row 5, but simply that the presentation got a little more real, with less veiling. NICE!

Great read Ted. Ted as it does sound overall better. And more level across all freq. I did hear one thing that was odd. Horns especially trumpit seemed a bit receeddd back a bit. Now it could be the dacs rendering and not a tone effect but it does not happen in other firmwares I tryed. This is also like yours a fast listen just about 30 mins or so

after reboot. I would very much like tonread a more detailed sound review from you soon please. Being a beta tester for the bridge 2. I have had a few unresolved firmwares leading up to Release. All kinds of funny audio sounds some amazing others not so. But this is the new release.

Al

So I just installed the new firmware, called Pikes Peak (Paul is clling these "OS upgrades" and giving them, going forward, the names of Colorado's tall fourteeners, the first being Pike's Peak). Since the OS upgrade causes the clock to lose power for a few minutes I am not going to seriously listen until tomorrow...BUT.....first impressions are quite amazing on the DSD format side. Where previously DSD was tame and slightly less dynamic, it is now MUCH more lively, clear and dynamic, both macro and micro. Orchestral swells, plucked basses and all things guitar are much more real and in-the-room sounding. Yet I don't feel I moved from row 20 to row 5, but simply that the presentation got a little more real, with less veiling. NICE!

Ted, I posted the following on the PS audio site. This upgrade is nothting short of amazing on PCM as well. I am using a stack of 3x Direcstream for MCH (lynx card), and a separate 2 channel USB server. Ted also addressed some potential clock sync issues in a MCH application in the firmware release (he uses multiple DS for MCH audio himself).

"Let me start off by saying I'm a bit of a tweak sceptic. Either that, or I just don't have the patience to look for subtle differences that need to grow on you. Given this and the fact that the 1.21 firmware upgrade did not do much for me, I installed the pikes upgrade with very tempered expectations – I am fairly immune to hype, and learned to only trust my own ears.

Boy was I in for a surprise. This is equivalent to inserting a high caliber new component in the system, say a five figure preamp. Where do I start? First, there appears to be more "going on" with the music. Second, threes is more air around instruments. Third, better separation between instruments. Fourth, more body and presence, especially in mid-bass. Fifth, more detail and information retrieval. I hear subtle noises emanating from the audience on live recordings I was not hearing before. In summary, a huge winner. The findings apply to both 2 channel playback and multi channel.

I feel I bought a BMW five series for the price of a three series, and just get a free upgrade to seven series. Hats off to Ted and the ps audio team"

Erik,

Thanks, I was gonna ask you to post that here anyway (after i read it on PSA forum)..so thanks. But really, man, stacking 3 DACs for multichannel?? That's a silly idea. :):) Seriously, welcome to the Stacked Club. I know of four members (me, you, Ted S and Michal/Chebon).

Erik,

Thanks, I was gonna ask you to post that here anyway (after i read it on PSA forum)..so thanks. But really, man, stacking 3 DACs for multichannel?? That's a silly idea. :):) Seriously, welcome to the Stacked Club. I know of four members (me, you, Ted S and Michal/Chebon).

I joined the club a long time ago with MSB for mains, 2 x NAD M51 for surround/center. Now 3 x Directstream is delivering the goods and with this firmware, I can honestly say I believe the DS beats the MSB Signature (big claim this....). Next projext will be to give the pink faun MCH I2S card a try to improve over Lynx - the journey continues.

Yes, I know...so did I. I was just joking around.

Some claim the Peak OS has moved the balance too far up the frequency scale. I need to test on some awful recordings later today. I don't think that it is; things like rumbling orchestral swells are more pronounced, and those are upper bass rich, yet the lowest frequencies seem enhanced too. Everything is just more dynamic, so far, yet not artificial (artificial as in like when we used to hit the "loudness" button).

Yes, I know...so did I. I was just joking around.

Some claim the Peak OS has moved the balance too far up the frequency scale. I need to test on some awful recordings later today. I don't think that it is; things like rumbling orchestral swells are more pronounced, and those are upper bass rich, yet the lowest frequencies seem enhanced too. Everything is just more dynamic, so far, yet not artificial (artificial as in like when we used to hit the "loudness" button).

Agree. High frequencies are just fine. Cymbals sounds better than ever. Only "cricism" could be more in your face, forward sound. More of a personal preference though.

Yes, agreed. I look at it this way (and will get flamed by some , I'm sure):

In the whole signal path the DAC is fairly far upstream, at least in my system view. Any clarity or removal of grunge that occurs upstream is a bonus for the ride downstream to my ears. And having a more genuine accurate musical signal, even if I have to make a slight adjustment (tube roll or cable roll it to better adjust the new mix) with my preamp, amps and room....is ok by me. My preamp thanks you, my amps thank you, my room thanks you, my ears thank you. (Note: this philosophy does not discount DRC. With DRC the fixing is upstream of course, but based on previous downstream results, so the pecking order stays the same).

Yes, agreed. I look at it this way (and will get flamed by some , I'm sure):

In the whole signal path the DAC is fairly far upstream, at least in my system view. Any clarity or removal of grunge that occurs upstream is a bonus for the ride downstream to my ears. And having a more genuine accurate musical signal, even if I have to make a slight adjustment (tube roll or cable roll it to better adjust the new mix) with my preamp, amps and room....is ok by me. My preamp thanks you, my amps thank you, my room thanks you, my ears thank you. (Note: this philosophy does not discount DRC. With DRC the fixing is upstream of course, but based on previous downstream results, so the pecking order stays the same).

What I found most fascinating about applying DRC is that none of the other factors determing sound quality actually change. For example, I can jack up my low frequencies by a few dB to get more bass response in DRC. However, even if I do that, inserting hardware with better bass reproduction qualities will have just as much positive impact as without the DRC. I bet the better bass response like I am getting from the new firmware does not even show up in the measured frequency spectrum Dirac uses to calculate filters.

I have not upgraded my DAC yet because of fear of being too bright. i purchased this DAC because its warm and detailed at the same time. But from what i am reading even if its slightly bright that would turn me off. So is there a way to roll back the upgrade?

I noticed Ted mentioned his DS was less warmer than the hugo. Was that after the DS upgrade?

Music after life

Voicing and getting anyone to comment in it is warm and or neutral is hard to find. The dac is very detailed and a bit warm for me. Firmwares can be rolled upmor down so as there is a few of them. So here is one for you for sure.

Realx and enjoy he dac it's really a pleasure to roll the firmwares as one would roll tubes

al

Ajay, rolling back the upgrade is as simple as dleting the files off the sd card, then reinserting the sd card with the former files. But, I wouldn't go back. Pike is the real deal! And AlRainbow is about to find out (his firmware was f'd up); now that he redid it and it is showing Pike instead of something else he will be head over heels. Seriously! Also, I cheated and saw his updated comments over at the PS Audio forum. :) He loves it! We finally agree on something. :) This Pike OS sounds like mic feeds coming off the recording. Really.

Hal,yeah ted we compleatly agree now. This dsc is really smoking now. Pcm is still biting nicely and dsd is nice as well. Glad it happend but sad I posted what I heard but I did.

The overtones are really great to hear. This is by far the most improvent ever worth any ps audio dac I had. And owning infinity speakers and Arnie doingnthe voicing it cannot get any better than this.

Al.