IGNORED

Article: PS Audio DirectStream DAC Review

ted_b

For what it's worth the ps audio transport is just s sub par device. No matter what output you use . I know it is primary purpose is red book cd but even with this more can be had then it can give. The DS is a far better dac than it is a transport. I own one and try to and ot just lacks the level of quality one would expect from it. The new bridge is far better and does DSd diredtly . One can have a nas and a iPad and control remotely . Th sound quality is about on par with my caps . And this is just the second frimware release . The usb does still win but it's marginal and my server is 6K. So a bridge for a few hundred is a no brainer . It does gapless and DSd 64 all formats below . I am not saying the transport is a bad thing but it's time has long passed in quality. I would imagine when the bridge is done Paul and or ted will be using the bridge to play music at shows . Or At leaset I would hope.

I love the look and still,own it and just cannot sell,it lol. But sq the new bridge is a perfect match for the DS DAC. Now even though I own this and I feel,this way no one has to be leave me. But I do post honestly of my views . The ps audio hdmi is a very good one and I own it as well. But the short one it's better the shorter it is. But for me the whole concept is just not needed and the bridge is a much better source . Anyway this is my view do as one wishes but I said it. Again Ted thanks for your postes , reviews and help for so many.

Al

Come back to report in 500-800 hours......

Wow thats torcher...:-) listening to thin bright music for that long. Would it be considered burning if i just connected my computer to dac with no analog out and put it on repeat? Or do i need to connect the analog out of the dac to a real signal?

Music after life

Wow thats torcher...:-) listening to thin bright music for that long. Would it be considered burning if i just connected my computer to dac with no analog out and put it on repeat? Or do i need to connect the analog out of the dac to a real signal?

The former will do for the DS DAC but if you connect something on its output, you might want to invoke the -20dB switch. This draws more current on the transformer output. In this case you have to connect an amp. No current is drawn on an open circuit, however there will be some current drawn via the fixed resistor to ground.

Mini-rumor was that they'd be same $$ as its the same dac, just reconfigured 8 chips from 4 per side to one per channel. I stupidly failed to comfirm $ with Dom.

Really? That's good news - certainly not how Multichannel DACs are usually priced.

I see they have the first page of the NADAC web site up now. Hopefully we will get more info on features, pricing and availability when the Merging team returns - and recovers - from CES! :)

• 2 weeks later...
I am using this USB converter with the DS: Hydra Z | Audiobyte

Auralic Aries USB to AudioByte Hydra-Z to PS Audio DirectStream I2s.

I have been out of the loop for a while. Can you comment on the merits of inserting the Hydra converter into the chain behind a CAPS 3.0, feeding a DirectStream via I2S, compared to running USB straight from the CAPS 3.0? I have a feeling it is all splitting digital hairs, but I could be wrong.

Actually Erik, it is behind an ethernet renderer, Auralic Aries, which gets its music from maybe a CAPS 3.0, dunno, but the renderer is now the source, not the CAPS, which is a DLNA server (assuming he has a CAPS 3.0 as his server, dunno).

Actually Erik, it is behind an ethernet renderer, Auralic Aries, which gets its music from maybe a CAPS 3.0, dunno, but the renderer is now the source, not the CAPS, which is a DLNA server (assuming he has a CAPS 3.0 as his server, dunno).

Hi Ted. This makes no sense. The Hydra Z is a USB converter, so it must be taking the USB input from the Aries USB output. While there is probably computer in the chain, there must be a benefit to inserting the USB converter between Aries and DAC. If this is substantial, it stands to reason similar benefits can be achieved inserting it between CAPS 3.0 and DirectStream DAC and use the I2S interface on the PS Audio. I was actually intrigued to explore the I2S signal path because of your review... What am I missing?

I hope this explanation will clear things up;

The Aries is used as the source, feeding the Hydra via its USB output.

The Aries music library resides on a NAS connected to my router. Aries is on WiFi.

The output of the Hydra is fed to the DS I2s input.

There is no CAPS involved. I have a HTPC with Minimserver, however I have not done any direct comparisons.

I hope this explanation will clear things up;

The Aries is used as the source, feeding the Hydra via its USB output.

The Aries music library resides on a NAS connected to my router. Aries is on WiFi.

The output of the Hydra is fed to the DS I2s input.

There is no CAPS involved. I have a HTPC with Minimserver, however I have not done any direct comparisons.

Thanks for clarifying. I think I understand the setup. My question is simple. How does running the Aries USB directly into the DS compare with running it through the hydra and converting to I2S. I would assume you have tried this - am I wrong?

If this is a material improvement, it stands to reason, similar improvements can be achieved inserting the Hydra between CAPS 3.0 and DS and converting to I2S.

For reference, someone on the PS audio site did the comparison (Aries with and without Hydra into DS), and reported these findings. Is this consistent with your impressions?

..... the impressions I got is that the sound from the H-Z is extremely clean. Maybe on the verge of being tight and slightly anemic in the bass region when going direct with no preamp. However with a preamp in the loop there is increased bloom that matches it very well. The funny thing is that the USB output of the Aries actually feels quite warm (maybe tightened up a little on the latest updates). For those who think the Aries USB output is too soft, I can assure you that the H-Z compensates for this......

As I thought, no CAPS involved, just a NAS DLNA app (as I am setup). Erik sorry I said "behind", I meant being served by an Aries (and an up-until-now unbeknownst server) via USB, not a CAPS.

I am not sure what price it is to be converted a couple times, just to get to I2S. Plus, know from other sources (let alone Jesus's spec sheet) that the I2S in the Signature Rendu is quite special (thank you JS) and those quality parts needs to be factored in the comparison (to the I2S in the Hydra, for example). So, NAS to CAPs to USB to I2S (of unknown quality) needs to compete with NAS to Signature Rendu's I2S. My money is on the Rendu's more direct and dedicated path, but if someone wants to send me a Hydra+ I can do the compare (NAS library to dual CAPS with JCAT card, JCAT USB, to Hydra USB out to Hydra I2S). :)

As I thought, no CAPS involved, just a NAS DLNA app (as I am setup). Erik sorry I said "behind", I meant being served by an Aries (and an up-until-now unbeknownst server) via USB, not a CAPS.

I am not sure what price it is to be converted a couple times, just to get to I2S. Plus, know from other sources (let alone Jesus's spec sheet) that the I2S in the Signature Rendu is quite special (thank you JS) and those quality parts needs to be factored in the comparison (to the I2S in the Hydra, for example). So, NAS to CAPs to USB to I2S (of unknown quality) needs to compete with NAS to Signature Rendu's I2S. My money is on the Rendu's more direct and dedicated path, but if someone wants to send me a Hydra+ I can do the compare (NAS library to dual CAPS with JCAT card, JCAT USB, to Hydra USB out to Hydra I2S). :)

Ted, for me these options all all off the table, because I am running Dirac on my CAPS. The Rendu nor Aries will allow me to do this or any other form of DRC. My only option to stream and still use DRC is to switch from Dirac to Acourate and use convolution in JRiver v20. If I go down this path, I would wait for the new bridge and have a much simpler signal path. However, apparently this is not yet robust enough, so my only option to keep DRC and still have I2S into the DS is to insert the Hydra into the signal path.

edorr;

The impressions on the PSA community are made by me (under another nick).

The impressions describes Aries direct to DS via USB vs. Hydra in the loop.

ted_b;

The clock crystal in the Rendu Signature is the same make and type in both units. I am pretty confident that both units uses top of the line/higher grade components. My guess is that the Hydra would cost $500-700 MSRP in the US.

With the Sonore you don't need the Aries (for good or bad).

The Hydra is CE approved.

Erik,

You are making my point. My I2S experience should not be considered "I2S is the best interface and I need to do whatever I can to get there". I think it has as much to do with the direct path I am taking with the Sig Rendu...a perfect storm of sorts, taking absolutely nothing away from the DS. With DSP much more of a required feature-set, I am not at all sure that getting to I2S should be your goal, necessarily.

Distinctive,

I'm not sure what you meant by "same in both units" but the parts list of the two Rendus are quite different, as is the price. They are not equivalent. And I liked the Hydra+ when I had it, but never tested the I2S. By the way, the Aries (I am a beta tester) is no the Sig Rendu either, nor should it be given the price and parts involved. They are built for two different audiences.

By the way, the Aries (I am a beta tester) is no the Sig Rendu either, nor should it be given the price and parts involved. They are built for two different audiences.

Yeah, but I wish Sonore or someone else would make a USB streamer on the level of the Sig Rendu, and with the Rendu's ability to give the user UI options (not locked into proprietary software like the Aurender). The spdif limitation of the Rendu (few of us have I2S input DACs) limits format options to 24/192 and single rate DSD for many DACs that can only accomodate all their hi-res input formats over USB.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Distinctive,

I'm not sure what you meant by "same in both units" but the parts list of the two Rendus are quite different, as is the price. They are not equivalent. And I liked the Hydra+ when I had it, but never tested the I2S. By the way, the Aries (I am a beta tester) is no the Sig Rendu either, nor should it be given the price and parts involved. They are built for two different audiences.

I think you misunderstood. I am still talking about the Hydra Z vs the Rendu S.

So the clock components inside the Hydra Z are the same as the clock components inside the Rendu S. The Hydra Z is a step up from the Hydra X on SQ from what I have understood.

...to this day I don't know what jitter sounds like, but as of that special night and going forward, I now think I know what no-jitter sounds like...

Ted, please cherish the sound and your no-jitter system. It is IMO a very rare thing, very fragile and to some degree a matter of luck. I would make as few changes as possible from this point on.

Years ago I have experienced sound in my system that interestingly I also described as "no-jitter" at the time. There is no way to compare it to anything, just music. Essentially unlimited dynamics and resolution of every note, absolute timing, PRAT and coherence, complete blackness, the dac had no sound of its own, every recording and instrument had a unique character and space. It wasn't smooth or sharp, warm or bright, it was just right in every way possible.

The interesting thing was that the setup was very inexpensive, XP computer with EMU 1212 pci soundcard feeding benchmark DAC1 via glass toslink. It was jaw dropping, to this day I don't know why this combination had this magic. The sad part was that I had to dissasmble the system for various reasons, DAC1 was already pending sale when I achieved this.

I tried going back to this very setup soon after, bought another DAC1, no joy, then another (different versions) but could never achieve the same result. DACs had their own sound, grain and magic was no longer there.

Since then every time I try a new dac/setup I look for this unmistaken sound. No luck so far, and I have heard many top notch devices including Meitner, dcs Vivaldi stack etc.

Sounds like you have striked the gold and you are right, there is no going back from that. Enjoy. Too bad it is so expensive 8-(

But with a right combination and luck it doesn't have to be.

Audiokiep, ain't that the truth!! Since my new setup I have, of course, like an warm blooded audiophile, tried to improve it via cable changes, jumper changes, tube rolling, etc. I am pretty confident that I can always go back to that setup, and sure enough I do. Phew!

Thanks for the comments; luck is very important, as is knowledge of its fragility. It's one of the more frustrating parts of this hobby; even with specs and measurements, and experience that "these two things together worked before" it doesn't always seem that 1+1=2 every time. And that's with the ridiculous level of commitment to detail most of us work within (knowing which direction the jumpers were in last time, etc).

Anyway...thx and enjoy the music.

Ted: I need to understand this Signature Rendu setup a little better, if you can please. Currently I am running Single PC CAPS with Phil's AO with Hugo DAC (JCAT USB Card, Cable, etc.). If I go Rendu and PS DirectStream, would I still need/use the CAPS, or it is not needed. I do use JRiver/JRemote, so I would certainly like to keep that functionality. My music on a WD 4TB Cloud external HDD connected to switch via Ethernet cable (I have not moved to Synology yet, I keep backup on another drive). Please help me understand the setup a little better. Thanks.

Signature8,

You can only keep your JRemote if you keep JRIver. So...if you keep JRIver (which only runs on a true computer or its own ID, not a NAS) you keep the CAPS as your JRIver server (or sell it and buy a JRIver ID machine). You turn JRIver into a DLNA server.

Me, in my Rendu setup, I do not use JRiver or JRemote as I have found Minimserver running on my Synology NAS to sound slightly better (weird I know). but it forces me to abandon JRemote (system had to sound better enough to lose that great remote) and use other remotes (aka DLNA control points). I currently use either iPad's Linn Kazoo or Android's BubbleUPnP, whichever tablet is nearby, frankly. Now that I have Minimserver and Bubbleserver on the NAS (Bubble turns the Rendu into an OpenHome Rendu, which brings nice extensions to DLNA like having playlists that don;t go away when you switch remotes) I can switch abck and forth whenevr I want. I am now also using Tidal lossless streaming on the android BubbleUPnP remote and using radio station streaming on either. All through the Rendu into the DS via I2S (or into the Hugo via SPDIF).

So, net/net in my system I use no personal computer in my setup, just NAS and Rendu (both of which are literally computers, of course, what isn't).

BTW, Rendu isn't my ONLY setup. I still run JRiver/Jplay on a dual WS2012 AO setup, too. And an Aurender X100L...and an Aries. :) And my mutichannel setup has, as it's heart, the exaSound e28 DAC. :)

BTW, Rendu isn't my ONLY setup. I still run JRiver/Jplay on a dual WS2012 AO setup, too. And an Aurender X100L...and an Aries. :) And my mutichannel setup has, as it's heart, the exaSound e28 DAC. :)

I know. I was going to put together my second PC (Audio PC) for my Win Server 2012+AO and Hugo, but after reading you review, I am inclined to try the Rendu route, sounds better (as you have said) and simpler, and second PC could cost as much as the Rendu, I guess. DS and Synology DS415+ are on order, once I get that setup, I will try Rendu. Thanks for all your help.