IGNORED

First Impression Music label

I heard one at a friend's once. It was the Quatro Stagioni, cant remember which interpretation now, but it had an extremely pronounced reverberation, almost as if the orchestra were playing in a well. A pleasant effect, but not realistic, I dont believe any real orchestra can sound like this.

I think many (most) people rate FIM CD's as the best sounding CD's in the business. I have an almost complete collection and would agree. Try one out. I would suggest buying one of the most recent releases done with the Pureflection system. Winston Ma, owner of FIM has among the best ears in the business and chooses his mastering engineers very carefully and works with them in the mastering process, along with the entire production and manufacturing process.

Disclaimer: I started working with Winston about two years ago, when he asked me to write a book about Decca Records (now out as Decca:Supreme Stereophonic Legacy, including 4 CD's). During the writing, I was able to get an inside view of the work that was done by Winston and his two mastering engineers, Michael Bishop and Robert Friedrich of Five/Four Productions (who have won almost 20 Grammys between them). I heard versions of the CD' s as they went back and forth getting the sound better and better, until all were satisfied - quite a long and arduous process. Winston went through the entire production process with me and I think I understand why FIM CD's should be better and also cost more - a lot more time and effort into all parts of the process.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

I own three FIM CDs, and feel that they are well worth the asking price. Superb sound quality. Nice packaging design using a small hardcover booklet, not a plastic CD case. The CD fits into a protective sleeve that then slips into a hard paper sleeve in the booklet.

The three I own (and can easily recommend) are:

Midnight Sugar - Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio

Misty - Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio

What A Wonderful Trio - Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio

These are Jazz recordings and are among my favorites for both recording quality and musical performance.

The three I own (and can easily recommend) are:

Misty - Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio

What A Wonderful Trio - Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio

These are Jazz recordings and are among my favorites for both recording quality and musical performance.

I don't know the other titles, but +1 for

Ariel Ramirez - Misa Criolla (Navidad Nuestra) with José Carreras

I have the K2 HD Mastering 99.9999% Silver disc and it sounds spectacular - 3D stage and incredible resolution of fine details.

Another good start = compilation with great songs and excellent sound quality:

FIM Super Sound!

(FIM XR24 066)

A handful of FIM albums are available for download from eClassical at rather reasonable price:

eClassical - First Impression

If you like Jazz, The TBM Sounds! is a good place to start.

From eClassical you can download one or two tracks and try them out for less than $1 per download. The Ella and Louis Album is great - any of the cuts - pick a tune you like. Make sure your software and DAC are up to the quality of the downloads. Otherwise, that may well be your limiting factor.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

From eClassical you can download one or two tracks and try them out for less than $1 per download [...]

Yup. Lfs mentioned Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio's Misty and Midnight Sugar. These are FIM SACD's. However, the title track on both albums are on The TBM Sounds!, which is available for download from eClassical. So one can get a sample of these quite inexpensively. In fact, The TBM Sounds! is kind of a remake of Famous Sound of Three Blind Mice Vol .1, which is a sampler for the TBM label and long out of print. The FIM version has most of the tracks of the original but there are some differences. (Yes, I have the original too :)).

If you decide you like Tsuyoshi Yamamoto, FIM also has the more recent Autumn in Seattle, which was produced by FIM instead of remastering of TBM. And another album that has a track in The TBM Sounds! but probably worth getting the whole album would be To Mr. Wonderful. Check it out and see if you like it.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know the other titles, but +1 for

Yes it is "audiophile" but one of my favs. Great story behind it as well - how they smashed the studio up afterwards. The vinyl version is killer.

Music music and more music.

Less and less: Ikeda 9TS with Kuzma Stogi Ref and Vendetta Phono => Lamm L2 Ref & Lamm 2.2 => Tidal Piano Cera.

More and more: Mac Book Pro Retina (mid-2014) with 128GB SSD: with Audirvana 2.0) and all the while auditioning different DACs.

(something small and sometimes portable - she who must not be named demands it).

Yes it is "audiophile" but one of my favs. Great story behind it as well - how they smashed the studio up afterwards. The vinyl version is killer.

Music music and more music.

All of the albums that Tsuyoshi Yamamoto did for Three Blind Mice in the 70's are great.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull