IGNORED

Uptone Audio Regen

13 minutes ago, zilch0md said:

Hi Robin,

I hear you!  I have to confess that I did order the new hard adapter today, as several people on the ISO Regen thread are saying that it sounds so much better than the previous hard adapter or any other USB cable they've tried.  So, I'll be sticking it in between my ancient USB Regen and my DAC.

The new hard adapter wasn't offered for sale until after the first 250 ISO Regens had shipped, but it has been available for some now.  Wait for my review or take the plunge yourself, here's the order page (the ideal upgrade for big spenders like us).  :-)

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/uspcb-a-b-adapter

Mike

I bagged the hard adapter before Alex even had his webpage changed,,, it was right up my price range. And it made a solid soundstage improvement too. 

I simply have no need to spend hundreds of dollars for PC improvements that aren't really necessary. That's my retired/fixed income point of view along with what I'm now enjoying with my system, maybe next spring come tax return time, I can be enlightened. Or not. But 1 thing's certain, the Regen was the best $175 I've ever spent and the USPCB Adapter was the best $35 bang for the buck deal ever!

Cheers,

Robin

12 hours ago, zilch0md said:

Good!  I'm all the more looking forward to my $35 splurge!  :-)

The USPCB is really good! I ordered one before I pulled the plug for a ISO Regen. It made a great improvement. I would actually say that Regen Amber with USPCB is roughly 90% of ISO Regen with USPCB in SQ in my A setup right now. However, ISO Regen definately sounds better with the galvanic isolation turned off there as well.

I will not sell off my Regen Amber. I will use it in combination with the Luckit BluWave USB to Spdif PCB in my B setup. As you can see on this picture the BluWave have great isolation between the USB receiver and the Spdif output and could possibly (not 100% sure until I´ve tried it) be a great USD89 addition to the Regen Amber for those who seek galvanic isolation. :)

30hs9qq.thumb.jpg.4edebd751525072405695b296f27bca8.jpg

On 9/11/2017 at 5:43 PM, satfrat said:

I bagged the hard adapter before Alex even had his webpage changed,,, it was right up my price range. And it made a solid soundstage improvement too. 

I simply have no need to spend hundreds of dollars for PC improvements that aren't really necessary. That's my retired/fixed income point of view along with what I'm now enjoying with my system, maybe next spring come tax return time, I can be enlightened. Or not. But 1 thing's certain, the Regen was the best $175 I've ever spent and the USPCB Adapter was the best $35 bang for the buck deal ever!

Cheers,

Robin

Hey Robin,

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/uspcb-a-b-adapter

I'm with you - the new hard adapter has actually improved the USB Regen.  I had long ago settled on a very short but inexpensive USB cable that sounded better than anything else I had tried between between the USB Regen and the DAC, including the original hard adapter, but without spending any money on exotic solutions, such as the Curious Regen Link.  

So, I can't speak for how the new hard adapter compares with those $100 to $500 pigtails, but man, I am thrilled with the improvement had over every "cheap" connection I have tried. And $38, including shipping, is wonderfully affordable - definitely up there as one of the best bang-for-the-buck purchases I've made in audio.

More specifically, the only rig for which the DAC employs a USB source, is my near-field monitor setup (a departure from my primary obsession with headphone rigs.)  As a headphone enthusiast, I'm not reluctant to admit that no headphone can give you the soundstage and imaging offered by speakers, and I'll go further to say that I don't have the time or the money to build a room that's properly tweaked for loudspeakers, so near-field monitors allow me a lot more control of placement relative to my head, with less concern for room reflections, given that both I and the monitors are out in the middle of the room, nowhere near any walls.  

Getting to the point, I wish I had something like the KEF LS-50s, with coaxial drivers, but being the bottom-feeder that I am, I went with a pair of the less-expensive, two-way, Definitive Technology SM45, driven by a TBI MG3 Millenia solid state, Class BD amp (battery powered with a 5500 mAh, 25.2V, 6-cell LiPo pack).  

To take some of the edge off the Class BD treble, which, to be fair, does not sound much at all like most Class D amps, I feed it with a Metrum Acoustics Octave MkII NOS DAC, using its Anamero-based USB upgrade, that was designed with heavy input from Cees Ruijtenberg.  

The USB Regen (powered by a Teradak LPS, set for 7.0V output, itself powered by a floating-secondary B&K 1604A isolation transformer, that is plugged into a Topaz 19095-32, grounded-secondary isolation transformer) had managed to add detail and clarity, despite the somewhat "soft" NOS sound (compared to ESS DACs), but this little $38 hard adapter has exploded the soundstage and imaging of my near field monitors.  

Without question, the most readily discernible improvement is that the SM45 monitors have disappeared - despite sitting at about arm's length from my head, with each of them toed-in to aim directly at each ear, respectively, in both azimuth and inclination.  Varying greatly with the track that's playing, of course, I had previously enjoyed some measure of what speakers can do which headphones cannot, but now,  especially with the best recordings, I'm hearing nuances of spatial imaging that just weren't there before.  I'm also noticing that I'm much more satisfied with lower SPLs, because I'm not trying to dig out the details by pushing the volume to higher levels.  

I'm kicking myself for not exploring a better USB connection between the Regen and the DAC, earlier, as the USB Regen seems to have been hog-tied by my thriftiness, all this time.

Now, of course, I'm wondering if I'd gain anything by going to the ISO Regen's galvanic isolation, but I'll sit on this for a year or so, before moving on.  The journey is half the fun.  Why rush it?

:-)

Mike

• 1 month later...

My message for all present Meanwell SMPS users.  The addition of the Sbooster Ultra for the UpTone Audio Regen USB Hub is a direct audible addition.

The Sbooster Ultra for the UpTone Audio Regen USB Hub is a switch-mode power supply add on based on active filter technology. Compared to the passive Sbooster Single Unit you will get with the Ultra an even greater crispness, tightness, distinctness and focus.

Due to the fact that the Uptone Regen (Amber) doesn’t need power at you can use the so-called Vbus2 Isolator which blocks the electric current at source.

In my case a Mac Mini I5 running OS from a SDHC card, internal hard drive deactivated as NAA  (=Network Audio Adapter software). And HQ-player running from another Mac Mini Server I7.

Sbooster Ultra special including the VbusIsolator for the UpTone audio Regen €79,50 or approximately94,00.

Ps. I do not have any business interests with Sbooster company. The only agreement is that I also come from the Netherlands.:D

SBooster Ultra Uptone audio Regen.jpg

Sbooster Vbus2 pic II.jpg

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

• 4 months later...
On 22-10-2017 at 8:46 PM, ambre said:

My message for all present Meanwell SMPS users.  The addition of the Sbooster Ultra for the UpTone Audio Regen USB Hub is a direct audible addition.

The Sbooster Ultra for the UpTone Audio Regen USB Hub is a switch-mode power supply add on based on active filter technology. Compared to the passive Sbooster Single Unit you will get with the Ultra an even greater crispness, tightness, distinctness and focus.

Due to the fact that the Uptone Regen (Amber) doesn’t need power at you can use the so-called Vbus2 Isolator which blocks the electric current at source.

In my case a Mac Mini I5 running OS from a SDHC card, internal hard drive deactivated as NAA  (=Network Audio Adapter software). And HQ-player running from another Mac Mini Server I7.

Sbooster Ultra special including the VbusIsolator for the UpTone audio Regen €79,50 or approximately94,00.

Ps. I do not have any business interests with Sbooster company. The only agreement is that I also come from the Netherlands.:D

SBooster Ultra Uptone audio Regen.jpg

Sbooster Vbus2 pic II.jpg

I have it too, it’s a an very good and relative cheap product (80 Euro). Better than buying an too expensive LPS.

• 1 month later...

Just about to compare stock Regen PSU against recently acquired HDPlex 200W LPSU. Would this be the right place to post my findings?

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

just finished comparison... huge, HUGE difference between stock REGEN vs. REGEN with HDPlex (or, probably, any LPSU for that matter). Should have done this way sooner. O.o

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

I bought the ultraRendu, so I don’t need my USB Regen and Supra USB cable anymore. The USB cable is 8m. I sell the Regen without the standard Meanwell power supply. If someone is interested to buy one or both products, then contact me. Both items are in very good condition. I guarantee that both products are working fine!

5 hours ago, jos said:

I bought the ultraRendu, so I don’t need my USB Regen and Supra USB cable anymore. The USB cable is 8m. I sell the Regen without the standard Meanwell power supply. If someone is interested to buy one or both products, then contact me. Both items are in very good condition. I guarantee that both products are working fine!

why does the ultrarendu not need the Regen and USB cable anymore?

8 hours ago, reverendo said:

why does the ultrarendu not need the Regen and USB cable anymore?

Because it is a network audio adapter (NAA) connected to my network with Ethernet and very near to my DAC. A very short USB cable connects the audio adapter to my DAC. This approach gives a better signal to my DAC and has some practical advantages too. But it is far more expensive.

10 hours ago, jos said:

Because it is a network audio adapter (NAA) connected to my network with Ethernet and very near to my DAC. A very short USB cable connects the audio adapter to my DAC. This approach gives a better signal to my DAC and has some practical advantages too. But it is far more expensive.

and the regen between the naa and the DAC didn't make any difference?

38 minutes ago, reverendo said:

and the regen between the naa and the DAC didn't make any difference?

No, the NAA is a having a kind of built in ISO Regen and other components for having a far better signal to feed the DAC than a USB cable with the Regen can provide.

• 8 months later...
32 minutes ago, rdsu said:

@Superdad,

what amperes or power USB Regen uses when connected to a 5V LPS?

Thanks

for my USB Regen i've built a linear 5vdc supply using a tent labs tube heater module <http://www.tentlabsshop.com/DetailServlet?detailID=670> good for 1.5 amps. i haven't measured the actual current drawn, but i suppose it's a couple of milliamps, so any 1A supply is more than enough. 

if you want to go full hog, you could use a 10 vac transformer, a tent labs heater module set to say 9 vdc out and then use one of tent labs' truly excellent 5 vdc shunt regulators <http://www.tentlabs.com/Components/Shuntcomp/index.html>. they will clean all the RF nasties that pass linear regs of the 317 variety unharmed. (after all, guido tent developed these shunts to feed his clocks; an application where low noise is mandatory. here's a nice application note <http://www.tentlabs.com/Components/Shuntcomp/assets/ShuntAppNoteAN04V02.pdf>) 

hth

2 hours ago, rdsu said:

@Superdad,

what amperes or power USB Regen uses when connected to a 5V LPS?

Thanks

Original USB REGEN draws about 140mA (0.14A) through its DC jack--and nothing at all through its USB input on the 5VBUS pin 1.

ISO REGEN draws about 230mA through its DC jack--and requires 20mA of 5BUS on its USB input (for the upstream side of its high-speed  galvanic isolator chip).

Hope that helps.  :D

12 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Original USB REGEN draws about 140mA (0.14A) through its DC jack--and nothing at all through its USB input on the 5VBUS pin 1.

ISO REGEN draws about 230mA through its DC jack--and requires 20mA of 5BUS on its USB input (for the upstream side of its high-speed  galvanic isolator chip).

Hope that helps.  :D

Alex,

What are your perceived differences between the REGEN and ISO REGEN?

Asking for a friend. 😁

4 hours ago, Superdad said:

Much better sound.  9_9

There are a boatload of more detailed user comparisons in the following thread:

yeah, I saw that... but I also saw the 978 replies. 😆 I had the patience to go through the first REGEN at the time, but wading through this thread will be tough. that's why I asked you for your perceived differences. 😜

1 hour ago, reverendo said:

That’s  why I asked you for your perceived differences. 😜

Aside from being biased, if I had to feed myself by writing descriptions of what I hear—I’d quickly starve!  :o

Our products are sold with a 30-day money-back guarantee (with no restock fee), so the “friend” you are asking for can give an ISO REGEN a try with nothing to lose (other than modest postage each way, though frankly it is exceedingly rare for anyone to return them).

Cheers,

—Alex C.

• 1 year later...

Hi Alex et al,

Sorry if the following question had been asked earlier.  Label me crazy, but I plan on using USB Regen to power one of 2 oMs that will arrive soon.  A DC cable with USB type A on one end and 5.5 / 2.1 one the other will connect USB Regen to the oM power input.  Does the USB Regen have enough juice to feed the oM?  The supplied MW 7.5V SMPS or ifi iPower 9v will power the USB Regen.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

WS2019 Core Datacenter, dualPC, JPLAY Femto, AO3, Fidelizer Pro 8.8, MC2XY, IOS app.