IGNORED

Uptone Audio Regen

Hi:

I wish I could say that you question makes sense to me. Allow me to break it down a little in hopes of addressing the core of your concern:

a) The REGEN does not draw ANY amperage at all from the computer's USB VBUS. In fact, pin1 (USB +5VDC) of the REGEN's USB input jack is not connected to anything at all.

b) The REGEN provides--to downstream devices (DAC, USB>S/PDIF converter, etc.) that require 5V VBUS power, extremely clean power via its 1 amp TI TPS7A4700 voltage regulator.

c) USB 2.0 specifications say that bus-powered devices are not to draw more than 500mA (0.5 amps) from a single USB cable/host, and the charging circuit of the iFi micro iDSD DAC/headphone amp falls under that spec.

d) Even if the DAC/HA, etc. were to require more than the USB-spec-allowed 500mA, the REGEN would be happy to supply that, since, as mentioned above, we dedicate a 1 amp regulator to the task.

(There are a few USB devices, like the YellowTec PUC, which need 800mA+ and come with dual-power USB cables to draw from 2 computer USB ports; the REGEN has allowed users of those devices to switch to a normal, single-line cable.)

So the shorter answer to your question is:

No, it is not necessary to unhook the REGEN or the iFi micro iDSD in any way when charging that portable device. In fact, it is the REGEN itself which will be charging the iDSD. That's exactly how I use the iDSD/REGEN on my desktop system.

Hope that helps. And for anybody who has questions about what power supply voltages are acceptable for the REGEN--and under what circumstances--please read the REGEN FAQ on the subject at our web site.

Thanks and regards,

--Alex C.

Great. I was looking for confirmation that the

Regen is a battery management solution when

the iDSD is exclusively used in a stationary 2

channel system. The answer appears to be

YES.

Thanks for the long and short answers.

pb-

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Regen/LPS-1 combo and love it. I'm using my laptop as a source and going out the USB port:

1. 2' USB cable

2. Regen

3. Hard adaptor

4. IFI Micro-link USB-Spdif

I'd like to eliminate the 2' USB cable and go with a hard adaptor just like the one Uptone included with the Regen.

So it would be:

1. Hard adaptor

2. Regen

3. Hard adaptor

4. IFI Micro-link USB-Spdif

Does Uptone sell these individually? I haven't looked real hard but was unable to find one on Amazon.

Thanks. [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

I found some info here on the Regen-Link. Sometimes I think Tapatalk is playing games with my phone......

Seems there isn't much love for the hard adaptor provided by Uptone. So far I've tried two configurations:

A.

1. Laptop

2. Hard adaptor

3. Regen

4. 2' USB cable

5. IFI Micro-link USB-Spdif

B.

1. Laptop

2. 2' USB cable

3. Regen

4. Hard adaptor

The first (A) configuration is working better for me....despite the advice that th Regen should be as close to the DAC as possible. The sound is better from top to bottom....just sounds 'right'.

When the new hard adaptor gets here, I'm going to try:

1. Laptop

2. Hard adaptor

3. Regen

4. Hard adaptor

Then, after reading the positive feedback on the Curious Regen-Link, I'm tempted to get a couple shorties and put them in place of the Hard adaptors.

Right now, 320kbps files through the Regen/ LPS-1 are sounding as good or better than cd's through my $1000.00 cd player.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Seems there isn't much love for the hard adaptor provided by Uptone.

I don't know about that. Frankly, I and others have found the included $0.60 adapter pretty hard to beat. It takes a REALLY good, really short USB cable to do so.

Just ordered 2 Regen-Link cables from Curious Cables. Can't wait...[emoji4]

And, having been sent a bunch of different "REGEN-short" cables from the cottage industry that cropped up around our device (selling 4,000 of something attracts attention ;)), I can say that you are likely to be VERY happy with the Curious REGEN-Link. It is quite nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my hard adaptors a few days ago. They sound better than any of the usb cables I have laying around. Not that any of them are anything special but the hard adaptors certainly give better sq as well as keep everything compact.

Can't wait for the Regen-Link to get here.

Got my Curious Regen-Link cables today. I'll have to go back and check but I think their site said 50 burn-in hours. So, that's what I'll do.....put it on shuffle and play all weekend (my normal burn-in procedure).

First impressions are that there might be a little extra sizzle on top. Bass sounds good but I've had earbuds in for a good part of the day. Yep, I haven't wore/used headphones in over 25 years until the last few days. Pretty cool....but just doesn't quite cut it.....:)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, I picked up a used REGEN recently. When I took it out of the box i gave it a light 'shake' and there is a rattle. It sounds like the entire board moving inside (or something large) rather than a tiny component that's loose.

Can someone give their unit a light shake in all directions and confirm this is normal?

Cheers in advance

2 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Hi guys, I picked up a used REGEN recently. When I took it out of the box i gave it a light 'shake' and there is a rattle. It sounds like the entire board moving inside (or something large) rather than a tiny component that's loose.

Can someone give their unit a light shake in all directions and confirm this is normal?

Cheers in advance

The boards are literally held in by friction, they slide in a slot in the aluminum case. The ends of the board are held in place by the pressure of the end panels pushing on them. The tolerances of the board dimensions and the case dimensions have to be just right to provide pressure on the board and not leave any slot between the case and end panels.

The greens were the very first batch, you might have one that wasn't quite "tuned in" just right. You can try tightening the screws on the end panels and see if that helps any.

Even if you cannot cure the "rattlting" it won't hurt anything.

John S.

Just now, JohnSwenson said:

The boards are literally held in by friction, they slide in a slot in the aluminum case. The ends of the board are held in place by the pressure of the end panels pushing on them. The tolerances of the board dimensions and the case dimensions have to be just right to provide pressure on the board and not leave any slot between the case and end panels.

The greens were the very first batch, you might have one that wasn't quite "tuned in" just right. You can try tightening the screws on the end panels and see if that helps any.

Even if you cannot cure the "rattlting" it won't hurt anything.

John S.

Cheers John. I have an amber but it's no drama. Seems to be working. I posted a question in the ISO REGEN thread about the improvements to the REGEN part of the upcoming ISO REGEN, over the original REGEN and mRendu, if you are able to share some info over there.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I know we don't need the faster speeds of USB 3.0 for audio but since USB 3.0 supports higher currents (900mA vs 500mA of USB 2.0) I was thinking of using those cheap hard USB 3.0 hard adapters for this reason (a little thicker copper wire inside the hard adapter perhaps) with my REGEN's output to the Dac.

Are there any downsides to USB 3.0? Somebody mentioned in another forum something about possibly increased noise with USB 3.0 cables/adapters for audio (something about the simultaneous bi-direction ability of USB 3.0?).

Cheers

Well I picked up a cheap USB 3.0 adapter from a local IT supplies shop across the road, to try out ($1).

It may easily be my mind playing tricks or it may be the slightly thicker copper inside but the cheap USB 3.0 hard adapter sounds a little better than the cheap USB 2.0 hard adapter, between my iFi iDSD Dac and REGEN.

IMG_0059.thumb.JPG.10a3f6c4b5bfa8bc615da496ea59513a.JPG

IMG_0064.thumb.JPG.aa7cd3b8fadeeae5f3d1635cdbd2167f.JPG

32 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Well I picked up a cheap USB 3.0 adapter from a local IT supplies shop across the road, to try out ($1).

It may easily be my mind playing tricks or it may be the slightly thicker copper inside but the cheap USB 3.0 hard adapter sounds a little better than the cheap USB 2.0 hard adapter, between my iFi iDSD Dac and REGEN.

IMG_0059.thumb.JPG.10a3f6c4b5bfa8bc615da496ea59513a.JPG

IMG_0064.thumb.JPG.aa7cd3b8fadeeae5f3d1635cdbd2167f.JPG

I tried both cheap USB 3 hard adapter and cheap USB 3 short cable, the latter seem to sound slightly better. Disclaimer: all this is within my mind.

3 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

I tried both cheap USB 3 hard adapter and cheap USB 3 short cable, the latter seem to sound slightly better. Disclaimer: all this is within my mind.

Thanks mate. Yes I added the same disclaimer. Did you also compare to USB 2? And found USB 3 better?

Again for others, I know we don't need the faster speeds of USB 3.0 - I have this thinking that maybe the higher current support (and thicker copper wires) may help over USB 2, but could be wrong.

3 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

I only compared USB 3 - it was bundled with my dac...)

Nice. I'm comparing to the USB 2.0 hard adapter that's included with the Regen 

I wonder how much of a difference the Sonore / Cardas hard adapter would make between REGEN and Dac. The build quality should be significantly better than these cheap adapters.

18 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Nice. I'm comparing to the USB 2.0 hard adapter that's included with the Regen 

I wonder how much of a difference the Sonore / Cardas hard adapter would make between REGEN and Dac. The build quality should be significantly better than these cheap adapters.

There was an info in regen thread about adapters/cables, for instance Curious products received great praises. Since I downgraded my sound system to much portable budget format I happily depend less from these delicacies...) Nevertheless, regen still gives hearable improvement in listening experience.

13 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Hi guys,

I know we don't need the faster speeds of USB 3.0 for audio but since USB 3.0 supports higher currents (900mA vs 500mA of USB 2.0) I was thinking of using those cheap hard USB 3.0 hard adapters for this reason (a little thicker copper wire inside the hard adapter perhaps) with my REGEN's output to the Dac.

Are there any downsides to USB 3.0? Somebody mentioned in another forum something about possibly increased noise with USB 3.0 cables/adapters for audio (something about the simultaneous bi-direction ability of USB 3.0?).

Cheers

If you're looking for a hard adapter that might make a difference, even over cables, you might want to wait til Uptone Audio releases their new hard adapter that will be included in all ISO Regen purchases. I am,,,,

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/uspcb-a-b-adapter

• 4 months later...
31 minutes ago, zilch0md said:

Wow!  No posts to this thread since May 10?  Four months!   

Did every USB Regen owner chuck it in the trash after ordering an ISO Regen?

(Just kidding, but I'm amazed at the lack of traffic here.  I'm still using my USB Regen, happily.)

Likewise, I'm more than happy with my Regen & Meanwell, ecstatic since day 1 even,,,,, but then again I can't afford either the LPS-1 or Iso-Regen let alone both together, so what choice do I have? I'll happily suffer thank you. x-D

Cheers,

Robin

Hi Robin,

I hear you!  I have to confess that I did order the new hard adapter today, as several people on the ISO Regen thread are saying that it sounds so much better than the previous hard adapter or any other USB cable they've tried.  So, I'll be sticking it in between my ancient USB Regen and my DAC.

The new hard adapter wasn't offered for sale until after the first 250 ISO Regens had shipped, but it has been available for some now.  Wait for my review or take the plunge yourself, here's the order page (the ideal upgrade for big spenders like us).  :-)

https://uptoneaudio.com/products/uspcb-a-b-adapter

Mike