IGNORED

Uptone Audio Regen

Hi Paolo:

You know you can also power the Aries from your JS-2. That will be a help to SQ.

I can confirm that in my system replacing the stock Aries supply with the 12v feed from the JS-2 improved my sound...clearer, fuller, quieter, more natural. I have since plugged the JS-2 into my balanced power unit and the sound is better still; and with the latest Aries firmware upgrade, my system has never sounded better.

One other point about the Aries: its sound is partially dependent on how you mount it. I've tried various ways of doing it, but I'm currently using just three 3/4 inch wooden cubes - two at the back one in front - under the Aries, which sits on a 2-inch maple slab, supported by 4 Mapleshade Isoblocks.

Source: Intel i3 NUC/fanless/Euphony/Ext SSD) JS-2;

DAC: Mojo Mystique V2/Regen /LPS1.2;Curious USB

Preamp: Music First Audio passive V2/ Morrow cables

Amp: Sanders Electrostatic; Mapleshade power cable

Speakers: Magneplanar 1.7/Hsu vTF2 sub/Room 27x15'  

Misc: eR; extensive anti-vibration; 1.7's on Herbie's footers

I had a problem with my Regen recently and I just want to compliment Alex on the super fast turn around time on the unit. Service like that is really rare.

Thank you again, Alex!

2010 Mac Mini > Singxer SU-1 > Lampizator Amber II > Rogue Cronus Magnum (modded & NOS signal tubes with 6P3S-e power tubes) > Aural Acoustic Model B speakers. Furutech outlets, PI Audio USB Cable, PAD Aqueous Aureus Praesto Digital IC, Audio Envy ICs & SCs, TWL PCs, and PI Audio Buss-Stop power conditioner.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

I would like to share FYI my last experiment regarding to regen psu, everyone seems busy to find the best psu solution to uptone regen, expending huge amount of money in that, but what if the solution is in front of our eyes?, because my Dac has galvanic isolation and it doesn't need to be feeding with 5 v from USB port, the only thing i need to do is to make work regen for recloking pourposes, so i just feeding regen from 5v usb output from my laptop working on battery mode, and compare to stock psu, the sound is awesome, to do that you only have to spend 10 dollars in a USB to dc 5v cable.

Hi there,

I would like to share FYI my last experiment regarding to regen psu, everyone seems busy to find the best psu solution to uptone regen, expending huge amount of money in that, but what if the solution is in front of our eyes?, because my Dac has galvanic isolation and it doesn't need to be feeding with 5 v from USB port, the only thing i need to do is to make work regen for recloking pourposes, so i just feeding regen from 5v usb output from my laptop working on battery mode, and compare to stock psu, the sound is awesome, to do that you only have to spend 10 dollars in a USB to dc 5v cable.

I totally agree about not spending $500-$1,000 on a power supply to run Regen (or other relatively inexpensive USB-powered devices). However, I for one am not using a laptop for my music system.

Your thought does suggest that for us using PCs, a portable power bank might do the trick...

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Anker-Ultra-High-Technology-Panasonic/dp/B00M3073L4/ref=sr_1_2?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1470578591&sr=1-2&keywords=anker+power+supply

Not sure if this creates other issue however?!

I totally agree about not spending $500-$1,000 on a power supply to run Regen (or other relatively inexpensive USB-powered devices). However, I for one am not using a laptop for my music system.

Your thought does suggest that for us using PCs, a portable power bank might do the trick...

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Anker-Ultra-High-Technology-Panasonic/dp/B00M3073L4/ref=sr_1_2?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1470578591&sr=1-2&keywords=anker+power+supply

Not sure if this creates other issue however?!

EDIT: 5V output of Anker probably too low?!

• 4 weeks later...
How many time can you feed the Regen before battery discharging?

Many many times....but I do not know exactly how many times since I do not use it that way. The uPower will last much longer if you recharge it after each use. That way the battery will hold for longer (not using a complete circle of the estimated 500 circles). The longest I have listen to music with the uPower is 7 hours and it was´nt even close to be drained. Do mind that I am not using 5v in my USB cables and that will extend the battery life considerable.

How you describe SQ feeding the Regen with Kingrex Upower?

The sound compared to the SMPS is better on all parameters. Compared to a LPS it is softer, more airier, 3 dimentional and a tad more background details IMO. However, a LPS gives you more attack and dynamic punch...but not more bass. What you choose depends on what you prefer soundwise.

For me personally both external grounding and no GND after handshake (plus powering my Aries Mini on battery as well) made a big difference for the sound. Now, I am not missing out of the dynamic punch any more.

I hope that helps you! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

Many many times....but I do not know exactly how many times since I do not use it that way. The uPower will last much longer if you recharge it after each use. That way the battery will hold for longer (not using a complete circle of the estimated 500 circles). The longest I have listen to music with the uPower is 7 hours and it was´nt even close to be drained. Do mind that I am not using 5v in my USB cables and that will extend the battery life considerable.

The sound compared to the SMPS is better on all parameters. Compared to a LPS it is softer, more airier, 3 dimentional and a tad more background details IMO. However, a LPS gives you more attack and dynamic punch...but not more bass. What you choose depends on what you prefer soundwise.

For me personally both external grounding and no GND after handshake (plus powering my Aries Mini on battery as well) made a big difference for the sound. Now, I am not missing out of the dynamic punch any more.

I hope that helps you! :)

Thanks Cornan.

I would prefer something which can charge while in use. I do not want to turn it ON/OFF for recharging, haven't found it yet. Thanks for very useful information.

Thanks Cornan.

I would prefer something which can charge while in use. I do not want to turn it ON/OFF for recharging, haven't found it yet. Thanks for very useful information.

You are welcome! :) If you do not want to turn it ON/OFF it is not battery power you want. If USD395.- is not a problem you should wait for Uptone Audio´s coming LPS-1 combined with Regen´s supplied SMPS. Should in theory give you the advantages of both battery psu and LPS if the SMPS is plugged in to a good power filter. I do not believe in "end-games"...but this one could come close if used with a good LPS and thoughtfully implemented mains power solutions.

🎛️  Audio System  

Thanks Cornan.

If you still want battery you can check out the SOtM mBPS-d2s SOtM mBPS-d2s. It is a dual battery power supply which can charge while in use. Personally I would rather use a single battery and disconnect it from the wall while in use...and charge it after each use. But this is a clever (and more expensive) choise if you are not like me! ;)

🎛️  Audio System  

Thanks Cornan.

You might also consider using an inexpensive power outlet timer to supply AC voltage to the charger for a few hours every night, but stay off during the day. You could then just leave everything hooked up, but it would be hassle-free, with no chance of AC noise making it into your system when playing.

• 1 month later...
You might also consider using an inexpensive power outlet timer to supply AC voltage to the charger for a few hours every night, but stay off during the day. You could then just leave everything hooked up, but it would be hassle-free, with no chance of AC noise making it into your system when playing.

That's why I haven't gone with the J.K. 3.3V LiFePo4 battery modification for the Regen, although being fully aware of this mod for quite some time. I don't doubt that the battery will outperform any currently available voltage regulator there, but the recommended 3.3V Linear PSU trickle charging method recommended causes capacitive coupling back through the A.C. mains supply. Any degree of coupling back through the AC mains supply degrades USB Audio. Whether or not this coupling is enough to negate or degrade the advantages of using the 3.3V LiFePo4 battery is a different matter, and will depend on the actual linear PSU used.There is also a considerable huge amount of added complexity, as we also need to cater for the power requirements of the internal 5V regulator used for supplying clean power to the DAC etc.

If charging overnight, this will mean the battery will no longer be a desirable constant 3.3V.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

That's why I haven't gone with the J.K. 3.3V LiFePo4 battery modification for the Regen, although being fully aware of this mod for quite some time. I don't doubt that the battery will outperform any currently available voltage regulator there, but the recommended 3.3V Linear PSU trickle charging method recommended causes capacitive coupling back through the A.C. mains supply. Any degree of coupling back through the AC mains supply degrades USB Audio. Whether or not this coupling is enough to negate or degrade the advantages of using the 3.3V LiFePo4 battery is a different matter, and will depend on the actual linear PSU used.There is also a considerable huge amount of added complexity, as we also need to cater for the power requirements of the internal 5V regulator used for supplying clean power to the DAC etc.

If charging overnight, this will mean the battery will no longer be a desirable constant 3.3V.

Just unplug the switching power supply that trickle charges 3.3V to the LiFePo4 battery. To be honest I don't hear a difference with it charging or not. I don't need any 5V power for my DAC, not even to flash. The JKenny Regen mod has worked great for the nearly past year. Highly recommend it for DAC's that don't require the 5V vbus.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Just unplug the switching power supply that trickle charges 3.3V to the LiFePo4 battery. To be honest I don't hear a difference with it charging or not. I don't need any 5V power for my DAC, not even to flash. The JKenny Regen mod has worked great for the nearly past year. Highly recommend it for DAC's that don't require the 5V vbus.

Unfortunately, many DACs and other USB devices do also need clean +5V power.

It makes the solution quite complex in that case.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Just unplug the switching power supply that trickle charges 3.3V to the LiFePo4 battery.

Which is what I do with JK's Ciunas converter.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

• 1 month later...
I have heard rumors of a new Regen model - are there any details or timeframe when this will be released?

Would be interested in details as there has been a proliferation of USB fix-it devices. I saw one post where 4 or 5 devices were daisy chained between the PC and DAC. Between the devices, upgraded power supplies, and cables, there is a mind-numbing number of possibilities. At some point in the expenditure of time and money, it would almost seem more advantageous to use something like the Adnaco Glass-USB device between the PC and DAC...and no, I have no affiliation with Adnaco but am a user.

• 1 month later...
Is the Regen meant to stay powered on 24/7 or should I unplug it every night?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

leave ON 24/7. that's why it doesn't have a switch! :-)

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
Regen/iFi iDSD charging?

On another thread it was suggested I

confirm with the "Regen people" that

the minimal USB amperage of the Regen

is sufficient so that when used with

the iFi iDSD there is no need to remove

the iDSD from the chain for charging.

Yea or nay?

Hi:

I wish I could say that you question makes sense to me. Allow me to break it down a little in hopes of addressing the core of your concern:

a) The REGEN does not draw ANY amperage at all from the computer's USB VBUS. In fact, pin1 (USB +5VDC) of the REGEN's USB input jack is not connected to anything at all.

b) The REGEN provides--to downstream devices (DAC, USB>S/PDIF converter, etc.) that require 5V VBUS power, extremely clean power via its 1 amp TI TPS7A4700 voltage regulator.

c) USB 2.0 specifications say that bus-powered devices are not to draw more than 500mA (0.5 amps) from a single USB cable/host, and the charging circuit of the iFi micro iDSD DAC/headphone amp falls under that spec.

d) Even if the DAC/HA, etc. were to require more than the USB-spec-allowed 500mA, the REGEN would be happy to supply that, since, as mentioned above, we dedicate a 1 amp regulator to the task.

(There are a few USB devices, like the YellowTec PUC, which need 800mA+ and come with dual-power USB cables to draw from 2 computer USB ports; the REGEN has allowed users of those devices to switch to a normal, single-line cable.)

So the shorter answer to your question is:

No, it is not necessary to unhook the REGEN or the iFi micro iDSD in any way when charging that portable device. In fact, it is the REGEN itself which will be charging the iDSD. That's exactly how I use the iDSD/REGEN on my desktop system.

Hope that helps. And for anybody who has questions about what power supply voltages are acceptable for the REGEN--and under what circumstances--please read the REGEN FAQ on the subject at our web site.

Thanks and regards,

--Alex C.