IGNORED

Uptone Audio Regen

Taping over pin no 1 is just a way to see if it works...but cannot compare soundwise to cutting it off with a Vbus2.

Micael,

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you here. While the Vbus2 is obviously convenient (but not free), there is no reason it should have any better SQ then a properly applied piece of tape, and I have never heard anyone say so before. While it is conceivable that the tape could have some slight amount of capacitance, its function here is DC blocking, just as good as a switch.

I do agree wholeheartedly that blocking the +5v USB circuit from the PC is an SQ advantage, just that how you do it isn't that important.

I have had mine blocked for a long time now. I've had to remove it (w/ cleaning), and restore it on occasion, since my DAC requires the +5v. Being a kind of DIY guy, I never considered spending the money on a Vbus2, even through it might have been a bit of a time saver in a few troubleshooting instances. Also it is just another couple of connecters for the USB signal to pass through, and I value simplicity (where I can!). Not that my USB chain is a model of simplicity :)

Hi all,

I'm currently have following system,

PC- Sbooster Vbus isolator -- Curious cable -- Uptone Regen (powerd by BOTW 6V) -- Sbooster Vbus isolator -- Curious cable regen link -- Arcam Irdac (power by BOTW 12V) - Lehmann Linear -- Beyerdynamic T1 headphone (2nd)

At the moment, I have Uptone Regen in the chain of my system, one of the biggest reason I pick Uptone regen instead of W4S RUR is because it is compatible with Sbooster Vbus (2nd generation).

Since W4S RUR cannot go well with Sbooster Vbus. My question is, Will the combination of Uptone Regen and Vbus isolator sound better than W4S RUR alone? Otherwise, I might think about replace the Regen with RUR...

Any help would be appreciated,

Louis

To make a good descition you'll need to know that there is a new uber-Regen coming shortly with galvanic isolation plus other top secret stuff! ;-)

On a personal note I would vote for the Regen1 plus VBus2 to be a clear winner in that competition anyway...due to better USB isolation. No USB Isolation can beat cutting it off completely. Only the use of unshielded USB cables or galvanic Isolation (due to the fact that Curious cable uses sheilded wires) could top your setup IMO! :-)

Hi all,

I'm currently have following system,

PC- Sbooster Vbus isolator -- Curious cable -- Uptone Regen (powerd by BOTW 6V) -- Sbooster Vbus isolator -- Curious cable regen link -- Arcam Irdac (power by BOTW 12V) - Lehmann Linear -- Beyerdynamic T1 headphone (2nd)

At the moment, I have Uptone Regen in the chain of my system, one of the biggest reason I pick Uptone regen instead of W4S RUR is because it is compatible with Sbooster Vbus (2nd generation).

Since W4S RUR cannot go well with Sbooster Vbus. My question is, Will the combination of Uptone Regen and Vbus isolator sound better than W4S RUR alone? Otherwise, I might think about replace the Regen with RUR...

Any help would be appreciated,

Louis

Micael,

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you here. While the Vbus2 is obviously convenient (but not free), there is no reason it should have any better SQ then a properly applied piece of tape, and I have never heard anyone say so before. While it is conceivable that the tape could have some slight amount of capacitance, its function here is DC blocking, just as good as a switch.

I do agree wholeheartedly that blocking the +5v USB circuit from the PC is an SQ advantage, just that how you do it isn't that important.

I have had mine blocked for a long time now. I've had to remove it (w/ cleaning), and restore it on occasion, since my DAC requires the +5v. Being a kind of DIY guy, I never considered spending the money on a Vbus2, even through it might have been a bit of a time saver in a few troubleshooting instances. Also it is just another couple of connecters for the USB signal to pass through, and I value simplicity (where I can!). Not that my USB chain is a model of simplicity :)

Hi Daudio!

No problem, I am not here to force people to buy a VBus Isolator! ;-) I am just telling my personal experiance as I started the same way. Tape is still better than anything but IMO it cannot fully compare tothe Vbus2. I actually own three different VBus blockers and Vbus2 is clearly the best of the bunch (still IMO). Vbus2 even better my 3-wire USB cables which most likely is due to the extra Isolation on the USB output. I am also a tweaker and I enjoy the fun of it...especially when it is free. However, after hearing the difference between tape and VBus blockers I just cannot recommend it myself for anything else than a test method.

No problem, I am not here to force people to buy a VBus Isolator! ;-) ...

Inspired by Cornan (Micael), I just bought a SBooster Vbus2 Isolator from Mark Grant in the UK. For about 20 GBP I thought it worth a punt. Situated between the peripheral end of my Corning optical USB cable and the REGEN, the SQ enhancement is *massive*. I would say it is greater than the SQ effect of the REGEN alone between Corning and Gustard U12. The present effect is so unmistakeable I suspect explosive synergy between SBooster Vbus2 Isolator and REGEN! Seemingly, our intrepid inventors won't be drawn prospectively on Uptone alternatives to the MicroRendu; moreover, I do not have a MicroRendu. All the same, could it be that - with an LPS-1 and perhaps a KingRex uPower behind the REGEN - together with this SBooster Vbus2 Isolator in situ - the MicroRendu will become a resistable temptation? [i didn't even mention uber-REGEN, whateverthatis.]

DSC06702.jpg

Inspired by Cornan (Micael), I just bought a SBooster Vbus2 Isolator from Mark Grant in the UK. For about 20 GBP I thought it worth a punt. Situated between the peripheral end of my Corning optical USB cable and the REGEN, the SQ enhancement is *massive*. I would say it is greater than the SQ effect of the REGEN alone between Corning and Gustard U12. The present effect is so unmistakeable I suspect explosive synergy between SBooster Vbus2 Isolator and REGEN! Seemingly, our intrepid inventors won't be drawn prospectively on Uptone alternatives to the MicroRendu; moreover, I do not have a MicroRendu. All the same, could it be that - with an LPS-1 and perhaps a KingRex uPower behind the REGEN - together with this SBooster Vbus2 Isolator in situ - the MicroRendu will become a resistable temptation? [i didn't even mention uber-REGEN, whateverthatis.]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26658[/ATTACH]

I am happy that you are happy with the final result! :)

Sbooster Vbus2 Isolator is not really magic...even if it performs magic together with the Regen. It is simply a very good way to isolate the USB bus and making sure that no power is running through the cable and affecting the data transmission.

There is also a probable reason why it improves special made 3-wires as I use as well. If you look closely on a 3-wire USB (no 5v wire) cable you will notice that one end is missing pin no 1 and the other end pin no 1 is still present. Now considering that you understand that the data wires inside the USB cables is not digital but analogue...and that you know that very close power (or GND) wires inside a USB cable that is carrying power is affecting the final performance of the data transmission. It all make sense. Any pin carrying current in close contact with analogue cables will affect the performance...even inside the USB plug. That is most likely why the Vbus2 makes a noticable difference even on 3-wire cables. It isolated the USB bus and makes sure thatpin no 1 is not affecting the close by data wires.

Next thing to consider is a choise between shielded USB cables or galvanic isolation. Since the shield is tied to the outer barrel of the USB plug there is still currents running through the shield of the cable. I have chosen unshielde wires for this purpose...but for Superdad have hinted that galvanic isolation will be one of the improvements of the coming uber-Regen.

Last thing...but not least....is to consider grounding. I personally use Elijah Audio Konvertible Lite USB cables that have the GND wires on a distance from the data wires....for the very same reasons as the 5v block. Capasitive coupling is our enemy here as well! :)

Edit! IMO one of the best audio tweaks available is external grounding. It makes everything come to life. Ones you have tried it you do not want audio without it...but I save that information for other topic related threads! :)

/Micael

This is very interesting - the Regen is supposed to cutout the 5v from the input. The Corning USB has the 5v carried along the fiber and uses it to convert the fiber signal at the end. So, cutting the 5v doesn't seem to do anything. I only thought cutting the 5v from the start, so no 5v along the data, would make a difference.

This is very interesting - the Regen is supposed to cutout the 5v from the input. The Corning USB has the 5v carried along the fiber and uses it to convert the fiber signal at the end. So, cutting the 5v doesn't seem to do anything. I only thought cutting the 5v from the start, so no 5v along the data, would make a difference.

I have had the Isolator only a couple of hours. Cornan/Micael suggested I try it at the host end of the Corning (i.e. where it emanates from the Windows 10 tablet PC or its Docking Station) - in line with the manufacturer's instructions - but it doesn't work there ("unable to enumerate audio renderers" if KS; "Could not initialise the driver" if ASIO). Cornan/Micael also suggested I try it between the REGEN and the Gustard U12 - but it doesn't work there either (the Gustard's display goes to zilch). I can vouch for the SQ enhancement where it is (between peripheral end of Corning and REGEN). The Corning cable does carry 5v and handshakes with HDs / DACs / whatever. I don't know about "convert the fiber signal at the end". "Cutting the 5v" (assuming that is what the Isolator is doing) is definitely "freeing" the music signal - there is no doubt about it: the Corning > Isolator > REGEN > Gustard chain is working *very* nicely this morning!

Has anyone had experience replacing the Regen's power supply with the ifi iPower unit? Any impressions of the differences? I am thinking of making the switch and was wondering if it was worth the $50?

IMO the iFi iPower sounds very good with the Regen and is well worth its price.

Works better than some higher priced LPSUs I've tried. Recommended.

The ifi ipower has the following adapters:

5.5×2.1mm input/5.5×2.5mm output (‘C’ black)

5.5×2.1mm input/4.8×1.7mm output (‘F’ black)

5.5×2.1mm input/4.0×1.7mm output (‘G’ black)

5.5×2.1mm input/3.5×1.35mm output (‘H’ black)

5.5×2.1mm right-angled extension cable.

5.5×2.1mm input/5.5×2.5mm output; Reverse Polarity Plug (‘C’ white)

Would any of these fit the Regen?

The ifi ipower has the following adapters:

5.5×2.1mm input/5.5×2.5mm output (‘C’ black)

5.5×2.1mm input/4.8×1.7mm output (‘F’ black)

5.5×2.1mm input/4.0×1.7mm output (‘G’ black)

5.5×2.1mm input/3.5×1.35mm output (‘H’ black)

5.5×2.1mm right-angled extension cable.

5.5×2.1mm input/5.5×2.5mm output; Reverse Polarity Plug (‘C’ white)

Would any of these fit the Regen?

Ifi Power's attached 5.5x2.1mm connector fits the Regen/microRendu with no adapter.

Mine also contained a short wired right angle adapter that also fits the Regen/microRendu.

I have been using an Aqvox power supply between my HTPC and the Uptone Regen / Bifrost Uber 4490. To my ears, the result is preferable with it in place. It's from the days when I started with a M2Tech HiFace 2 and a Maverick D1 Tube Magic, my digital audio starter setup.

Any experience here with an Aqvox and the Regen and would I be likely to benefit from a more expensive LPSU as are discussed here?

Many thanks for any feedback...

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

Does anyone use the Regen between the Aries and Vega dac? Having tried the Regen for the last couple of weeks I've now removed it as listening at my usual volume level the sound has become fatiguing, most noticeable in the treble. I can only describe it as a hard edged, with the bass being more extended to the point of requiring maximum filtering on the systems Quadral active speakers. I'll try a battery power supply next, if anyone has experience of the Auralic combination with the Regen I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Regards.

I do not have the Aries or Vega, but what you describe with the Regen sounds like the SMPS that comes with it. A battery supply or a good linear PS (that does not inject noise back into your AC) will surely help. The Regen itself does not sound fatiguing at all in my experience.

I do not have the Aries or Vega, but what you describe with the Regen sounds like the SMPS that comes with it. A battery supply or a good linear PS (that does not inject noise back into your AC) will surely help. The Regen itself does not sound fatiguing at all in my experience.

Many thanks for your reply, a battery supply has been sourced and no its way. watch this space.

Many thanks for your reply, a battery supply has been sourced and no its way. watch this space.

I'd be curious as to what your purchased and your impressions. As I mentioned above, I have been using an older Aqvox PSU and am exploring the merits of replacing it in my system. Good luck and many thanks.

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

Sbooster Vbus2 Isolator is not really magic...

No it isn't . It's just a convenient way of isolating the incoming +5V from the USB cable, and results in another additional plug and socket which is never desirable for long term reliability.

By far the best solution is to chop off the PC end's USB-A plug and fit another USB -A plug with the red (+5V) wire not terminated.

This involves some DIY skills though.

Daudio was absolutely correct with his previous reply 3551.

The amount of capacitance between the plug and pin with the insulation in place would be virtually unmeasurable and inconsequential.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

No it isn't . It's just a convenient way of isolating the incoming +5V from the USB cable, and results in another additional plug and socket which is never desirable for long term reliability.

By far the best solution is to chop off the PC end's USB-A plug and fit another USB -A plug with the red (+5V) wire not terminated.

This involves some DIY skills though.

Daudio was absolutely correct with his previous reply 3551.

The amount of capacitance between the plug and pin with the insulation in place would be virtually unmeasurable and inconsequential.

However, I think that it is probably more to it than you think. Here is the differences between Vbus and Vbus2 that might bring some light to what it does:

b30c6524b7f293f7bd67e716dbe2bc44.jpg

All I know that the Vbus does'nt better a 3-wire USB cable...but Vbus2 surely do! :)

Does anyone use the Regen between the Aries and Vega dac? Having tried the Regen for the last couple of weeks I've now removed it as listening at my usual volume level the sound has become fatiguing, most noticeable in the treble. I can only describe it as a hard edged, with the bass being more extended to the point of requiring maximum filtering on the systems Quadral active speakers. I'll try a battery power supply next, if anyone has experience of the Auralic combination with the Regen I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Regards.

since a couple of days I have an Aries

very disappointed, at first, as out of the box it doesn't sound as good as my Mac mini (setup details in my signature) *and* definitely has a darkish/warmish sound signature

added both Regen and Audiophilleo in the chain, today, and *now* SQ is on par with the Mac

still a tad too dark/warm for my tastes :(

Regen is powered by a JS-2

and DAC is not the Vega

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones