IGNORED

Uptone Audio Regen

Exactly! That's why I am waiting, I'm just trying to decide on the JS-2 before forking out over $1,000 US, which is like a million Aussie dollars these days (groan).

In fact I am waiting for your review on the JS-2, are you using it on the Aries?

Well, if you place your order now you get in build queue for the JS-2. I made the mistake of waiting and got bumped to the next build date. Good news is that Alex did deliver sooner but I had to wait which I'm not great at.

I was in Hawaii when it arrived so I got home and listened a bit the next night but now the allergies have kicked in so bad I can't listen. As for what I heard in my brief session, it doesn't suck and doesn't make it worse. I have more thoughts but would rather wait until I'm able to listen again. I also look forward to the Regen which will be powered from the JS-2.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

OMG. Just saw this picture on the new website. Look at all those Regen's. And no, "Alex" isn't a female. :-)

regen.jpeg

reg.jpeg

From the website:

The UpTone Audio USB REGEN just might be the next big leap for computer audio.

The USB REGEN takes the digital audio stream from your computer or other music streaming device, and generates a completely new USB data signal to feed to your DAC. It accomplishes this by combining a carefully chosen USB hub chip with an ultra low-noise regulator and low-jitter clock. Importantly, it does so with ideal impedance matching—right at the input of your DAC.

If you are familiar with the variations in sound quality that come from different computer configurations, USB cables, and power supplies (no, "bits are bits" really does not apply when pursuing the audio summit), then you will immediately recognize the often dramatic effect that the REGEN can have on the the connection you feel with the music.

Although the REGEN does not eliminate all sound quality differences between USB cables in a high-end system, it significantly reduces those differences. John Swenson has written about how the PHY chips and processors at the input of every USB DAC (even those with galvanic isolation) are sensitive to "packet noise modulation" and ground-plane noise—caused by poor signal integrity and impedance mis-matching. Every USB audio source (computer or streamer) and cable causes this, every DAC is affected by this—and the REGEN is the cure.

The USB REGEN's secondary function is that it disconnects the computer's noisy 5 volt bus power coming down the USB cable, and provides clean 5VBUS on its output--for DACs that need it—via a second ultra low-noise regulator.

From all the time we have spent listening to the REGEN in our systems we can say that it is exceeding our expectations. Often it sounds like you are listening to a different DAC! Of course the effect will vary some by computer/DAC system, but we hear positive differences even with small systems. The improvement is different than with a power supply or computer optimizations—but perhaps larger.

Regardless of whether you are feeding your USB DAC from a from a stock computer, a fully-optimized music server, or a streamer/renderer (Auralic Aries, Bryston, Moon Audio, SOtM sMS-100, etc.), the REGEN has the potential to carry your music system to a new level.

The USB REGEN kit includes:

a) the REGEN itself in an all black with silver-printed aluminum case (57 x 46 x 18mm); Input is USB 'B' jack, Output is USB 'A' jack, DC jack is 5.5mm x 2.1mm.

b) the best spec'ed and sounding 22 watt/7.5V/2.93A (overkill) tabletop (93 x 54 x 36mm) SMPS we could find (use a nice linear if you want—in the range of 6-9V/1.5A is fine; or even 12V if you are certain that your DAC is not deriving much power from USB bus); If you own an UpTone JS-2 LPS, then you can consider using one of its outputs—set to 7V—to power the REGEN very nicely!

c) an 18-inch long Volex 18awg power cord to go from the SMPS to the wall (get fancy if you like, or if you are overseas use a power cord with locally appropriate plug);

d) a male/male USB A/B solid adapter plug (for hanging the REGEN right from the back of your DAC; maybe stick a block of something under it if you feel it needs support);

e) a 6-inch male/male USB A>B cable if things are too tight around your DAC's USB input or you just don't want to use the solid adapter.

f) a 4-year, transferrable warranty.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

On the east coast of the USA and I happened to be up very last night (very, very early this morning) when my iPhone buzzed. I justed happened to look and saw the message was from Alex. I thought it was a little odd because of the hour and decided to check the message.

Well, to say I RUSHED to the new web site to order a Regen, just think of the Flash, though a very blurred eyed Flash.

My number is 1006. So, I seem to be the sixth or seventh order assuming that Alex started with 1000 or 1001 for the first order.

I wonder who they are?

Thanks Alex and wishing you and John much success.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

This has brought out some animal spirits. I ordered mine at 4 AM on the east coast after returning from a party and got #1028, so it does look like order numbers started at 1001. Yeah, we know how to party in south Florida.

From the posts so far, looks like 56 units were sold by 10:30 AM this morning. Wow! It probably outsold the Apple watch (OK maybe not).

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

This has brought out some animal spirits. I ordered mine at 4 AM on the east coast after returning from a party and got #1028, so it does look like order numbers started at 1001. Yeah, we know how to party in south Florida.

From the posts so far, looks like 56 units were sold by 10:30 AM this morning. Wow! It probably outsold the Apple watch (OK maybe not).

LOL. Should be fun to try and see what everyone thinks.

My number is 1006. So, I seem to be the sixth or seventh order assuming that Alex started with 1000 or 1001 for the first order.

I wonder who they are?

I believe it was me , Alex confirmed it, though my number was 1002 (I think)

Very interested in this, so I ;

1) added Alex as a VIP in my contacts

2) a week ago I added a reminder in my calendar to check the UpTone website daily

3) located in the southern hemisphere so I was awake and it was already the weekend

4) at my computer with the website open , other stuff happened and just really lucky with my timing

So I have been extremely eager to get a REGEN to say the least.

I am intrigued because I have had positive results with products to help provide clean USB power (like Vaunix USB Hub and even the iPurifier) ... though the REGEN does that (clean up USB power) though goes further by improving the USB data by regenerating it.

So it is USB Data side of the REGEN that has me so intrigued.

If it was just another product to clean up USB power, I would not be interested.

It is because it is taking care of both USB Data and USB Power that I am so curious... and why I went to the lengths I did to be one of the early REGEN adopters ... like adding Alex as a VIP in my contacts.

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

Hey Alex, I placed an order yesterday for the Regen. One question though - can the included power cable be used to connect to the JS-2? If not, can we buy it separately?

Thanks!

Art

There isn't one provided to go from the JS-2 to the Regen. You will need a 2.5mm/5.5mm (JS-2) to 2.1mm/5.5mm (Regen)

WOW, WOW, WOW. I am speechless gentleman. The response in the first 15 hours was unbelievable.

Thank you all for your orders and your kind words!

About 75 of the first 100 units are sold as of this moment Saturday evening. I discovered that my initial mailing of the password left a few folks out. They have now been notified and I'm going to give it one more day until I open the site up entirely.

I almost did not do it this way, but I am so glad I did as I recognized all the names and if felt good for you all to be able to get on board first.

I did receive all your order notes, private e-mails, extra requests, etc. I will send another message to everyone on Sunday. It will take much of Monday to sort everything out. Boy am I glad I got the web site up to automate the orders. It has been tough enough handling JS-2 and MMK orders by e-mail. Still a lot to work out such as getting all the new addresses into my accounting s/w and up to the US Postal site, but I've found some s/w tools to help with that too.

Be advised that those requesting to order one of my hand-made, shielded 15awg, Oyaide/Belden DC cables (typically 5.5mm x 2.5mm PS end, 5.5mm x 2.1mm REGEN end) will have a few days delay in billing/shipping since these take time to make (I usually chain myself to the solder station for a few hours at night to knock out a batch; working that thick wire is hard on the fingers.)

Due to time constraints, the Oyaide/Belden custom cable is only available for purchase by JS-2 owners (one comes "free" with the JS-2; it is the second one that I charge for). Also, the price for that cable went (from $45 as Jason mentioned) to $60 at the first of April. The plugs are not cheap and each cable takes 37 minutes to build and test (when done in batches of 10 with no distractions). thanks for understanding. I have one assembler increasing her hours now, but I can't put her on cables. If/when I bring another person on board (not anytime soon AFAIK), I will try to train them to make these cables. I actually asked Oyaide in Japan to bid on making them for me, but they looked at the wire and declined due to difficulty.

Once again, thank you all. We will work hard to get all your orders shipped in a timely fashion. No shipments will begin until Wednesday, but once the system runs smoothly I'm sure we can get everyone taken care of.

The next round of excitement--for me, John Swenson, and everyone--will be when a bunch of you start hooking up the REGENs up to your DACs. I can't wait! :)

All the best,

ALEX

Hello again everyone:

Once again, thank you for all the new orders and interest! Am now down to about 18 units left from the first 100 units we have in-house--and will be working hard to ship all those in the coming days.

I have already sent an urgent PO to Japan for another 100 of the milled/printed aluminum cases, but they are about to go on "Golden-week" holiday there and delivery will likely be mid-May. More PCBs can certainly be ready before then.

So it looks like by the time I take the password off the web site and open it to the wider world on Tuesday, I may have to put a late-May delivery date on the REGEN page. Wow.

----------------------------

I have an explanation and a big favor to ask everyone:

a) The ONLY list that exists for REGEN orders is YOUR ORDER ON THE WEB SITE!

b) The only mailing list I maintain for past and future communications is based on regular ([email protected]) e-mail addresses. It is neither practical nor allowed for me to conduct mailings or business via the CA messaging system.

b) Asking here in the thread or sending me a message to get "on the list" does nothing--especially if you do not include your private e-mail address. (Don't worry, I keep those private and don't share them, and I use s/w that does show other recipients your address either.)

I just finished spending 2 hours sending replies (including the early access password) to everyone above that asked--via the CA messaging system, but that really needs to stop if I am to keep up with everything.

My own e-mail address is pretty darn easy to find on the web, and anyone is still welcome to use the CA message system to send me their e-mail address to be included right away on mailings. And at least for one more day I will respond to those with the web site password.

Thanks for being understanding about this.

Kindly,

Alex C.

Hi Alex,

just to to confirm that I sent you an email with the shipping address in Monaco. PayPal USA does not accept foreign delivery Addresse.

Hi Edward: Yes, I did receive your shipping address, thanks.

And to everyone else:

My apologies for not yet replying to your various special notes and requests.

I assure you that I have been seeing ALL of them--from the Special Order Notes field on the order page, to the messages from the contact page, and also from your direct e-mails to my private e-mail address.

I promise that nobody will be overlooked. The process of sorting out and replying will start in the next day or two as there are a few logistical matters I have to work on first (the REGEN "Owner's Booklet" today, the order and address export/import tomorrow, etc.).

Please do not use any forum threads for order logistics or requests. That way leads to madness for me (;)) and distraction from general discussion.

Thanks again,

ALEX